Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Proposed changes in use in the National Parks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 10:34 am 
WASHINGTON, Aug. 25 - A high-ranking appointee at the Interior Department proposed fundamentally changing the way national parks are managed, putting more emphasis on recreational use and loosening protections against overuse, noise and damage to the air, water, wildlife or scenery. But a group of senior National Park Service employees rejected the proposal at a meeting this month. Read the rest of it here. No registration required to read the article as of this posting. Comments?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 10:40 am 
Difficult to comment on. That article is extremely vague about what was proposed, not to mention it sounds like whatever was proposed is not going to happen.

oosik

oosik
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 11:22 am 
It is fortunate that he didn't have the power to make it happen all on his own, but there was still the process for it to be reviewed by others. So many changes lately to environmental regulations are getting inacted by "executive order" which doesn't allow for review, oversight or congressional representation.

Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 1:45 pm 
oosik wrote:
It is fortunate that he didn't have the power to make it happen all on his own, but there was still the process for it to be reviewed by others. So many changes lately to environmental regulations are getting inacted by "executive order" which doesn't allow for review, oversight or congressional representation.
Like in NW Forest pass?

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 3:18 pm 
I wasn't able to view that site but here is an LA Times article.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 3:30 pm 
There's plenty of specific stuff in that article to be afraid of. Eliminating references to evolution in NPS educational programs? Requiring an illegal action to "irreversibly harm" rather than just "harm" resources? The political appointees at Interior are seriously scary.

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 4:03 pm 
Quote:
Eliminating references to evolution
I think the fact that there are an increasing number of Americans who do not believe in evolution is proof itself that the theory is false. Otherwise the human race would be getting smarter with each successive generation.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 4:32 pm 
If anyone hears of an organized group that opposes these changes (the LA Times piece spoke of some ex NPS employees) please post it here. I'd like to help out. Man, this administration is hard on the environment. shakehead.gif A little about the guy who runs the NPS, lifted from the LA Times piece:
Quote:
Despite his brief tenure with the Interior Department, Hoffman is familiar with controversy. He has weighed in on issues at Mojave National Preserve, opposing the park staff and siding with ranchers and others on grazing and water issues. Last year, he overruled the decision of the superintendent at Grand Canyon National Park to remove religious plaques on display near the South Rim. And he instructed the park to allow a book that espoused a creationist view of the canyon's formation, which runs counter to the park's own scientific-based approach and had been criticized by the park's scientific staff. While working in Wyoming, Hoffman took the side of ranchers in opposing the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone National Park. According to Chuck Neal, a biologist based in Cody, Hoffman gave a speech in 1996 calling the Park Service decision "the equivalent of detonating a nuclear bomb in the West."

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 11:17 pm 
Quote:
Asked how park employees junior to Mr. Hoffman could summarily reject his proposals, Mr. Barna said that Mr. Hoffman "has been very comfortable with us saying, 'Well, not so fast.' " He added, "Our view of that was he was playing devil's advocate: Gee, Park Service, tell us why you shouldn't do this."
Sounds like a seriously scary guy. clown.gif

Charlesminight

Charlesminight
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 11:42 pm 
moon.gif you got to love bush moon.gif he's going to make the rich richer even if he has to kill the plant to do it

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 27, 2005 9:01 am 
So how does this make the rich richer? These threads are always amusing to watch develop.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSat Aug 27, 2005 10:43 am 
Quote:
WASHINGTON, Aug. 25 - A high-ranking appointee at the Interior Department (Paul Hoffman) proposed fundamentally changing the way national parks are managed, putting more emphasis on recreational use and loosening protections against overuse, noise and damage to the air, water, wildlife or scenery. But a group of senior National Park Service employees rejected the proposal at a meeting this month… Mr. Hoffman, a former executive director of a local Chamber of Commerce in Wyoming and an aide to Vice President Dick Cheney when Mr. Cheney was a congressman in the 1980's, was appointed to his current post in 2002. The Park Service's director, Fran Mainella, also a political appointee, ranks below Mr. Hoffman in the Interior Department.
Imagine that, a former chamber of commerce director and aide to Cheney, and current political appointee, attempting to loosen national park protections and emphasize "recreational activities (mechanized recreation)." Shocking.
Quote:
A sentence in the existing policy saying "the Service will strive to preserve or restore the natural quiet and natural sounds associated with" the physical and biological resources of the parks was eliminated in the proposal, as was mention of natural sounds like "waves breaking on the shore, the roar of a river or the call of a loon."
Imagine that, the same political appointee, attempting to eliminate efforts to preserve the “natural quiet and sounds” of our national parks. Who needs the sounds of waves breaking, rivers roaring and loons calling? Bring on the smokin' 4-wheel drives and 2-stroke snowmobiles. Rev those engines! rolleyes.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSat Aug 27, 2005 10:43 am 
Tom wrote:
So how does this make the rich richer?
The infrastructure necessary to support the 4-wheel drive and snowmobile communities is different than what supports the unmechanized recreation community. 4-wheel drive and snowmobile destinations typically require motels, mini marts, gas stations, repair shops, equipment rental shops, do-it-yourself car washes, and all of the other commercial ventures that accompany such communities. Unmechanized travel destinations — those intended for hiking, climbing, mountaineering and cross country skiing — don’t require such a commercial community. They can have very few amenities and still provide what is needed for the participants — perhaps a simple campground with restrooms. It’s no surprise Mr. Hoffman, a current political appointee and “former executive director of a local Chamber of Commerce in Wyoming and an aide to Vice President Dick Cheney,” is pushing for the loosening of protections and emphasizing of “recreational use” in national parks. For Mr. Hoffman and his ilk, it’s all about the “commerce.”

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Green Mountain Hiker

Green Mountain Hiker
PostSat Aug 27, 2005 7:08 pm 
shakehead.gif Blue Dome, if you remember, we had this very same discussion about this administration's potential harm to the National Park system. There were tons of naysayers who called us "sky-is-falling" types. Well - look who is correct. We said that they were going to try to use the National Park System as a way for their corporate friends to make an extra buck. I cannot describe the level of hatred I have for the Bush administration and its attack on the environment. It is not enought to spoil the rest of the nation, no, they want the whole enchillada. I recently went to RMNP. It is a glorious place, one of true bueaty. I cannot even imagine that there are people who think that putting cell towers in such as place is a good idea. There would be nothing worse than for a place like that to be filled with thousands (and folks - on the weekends in the summer, it would be thousands), of 4 wheelers literally digging up the entire park. All of those beautiful mountain meadows would be run over with tracks, destoyed fragile eco-systems, and declining animal populations. To all those who think this is good stewardship of the parks, you are not truley interested in hiking, nature, or the preservation of our natural places.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Aug 27, 2005 7:20 pm 
Are you surprised, many parks are impinged upon by commercial developement all around there perimeters and I expect them to chip away at what's remaining slowly, but surely. down.gif

Living in the Anthropocene