Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Warning! Arts Plug
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed Dec 06, 2006 12:39 am 
Alright, I'm plugging a concert that I'm playing in this weekend. I had to wait until we had at least one rehearsal to make sure it was "pluggable". Seattle Choral Co. is putting on Mozart's arrangement of Handel's Messiah. It's at Meany Hall at the U.W this Saturday night and Sunday afternoon if anyone needs a Messiah fix. How many concerts can you attend with tunes like "We like sheep" (ok it's really "All we like sheep" but I like my version better). Lot's of singing about virgins and feet too. In ENGLISH even!

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostWed Dec 06, 2006 7:46 am 
Sorry, Cowbell. "Messiah" makes me want to run from the room, screaming for my ears to stop bleeding!

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Dec 06, 2006 9:35 am 
Wow, Cowbell, I would love to go; alas, I'll be fighting rogue waves and death logs on the coast this weekend. Will there be a recording? I went to a Messiah concert a few years ago at a church in the U Dist; it was heavenly. I love chorales.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostFri Dec 08, 2006 6:15 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
Alright, I'm plugging a concert that I'm playing in this weekend.
Wow! Another musician! Second one I've discovered here. Soon we can start a band. hihi.gif I'd come, but I'm playing this weekend too. What's your instrument, MC? I know it can't be this one... nopity.gif Oh, and I was reading the beginning of this thread from months ago about ballet. I once worked with a ballet company. Those dancers are so athletic, yet I couldn't believe how much these smoked...like freakin' chimneys! smoker.gif

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Dec 09, 2006 11:41 am 
This is weird, I can't quote you Dacker. OH Well. So you know I can't be a string player because they're all dorks, right winksmile.gif ? This is my first Messiah. I'm usually home whining because all the trumpet, oboe and bassoon players I know are making the big bucks (ha.ha) playing several Messiah's each December. But Mozart added flutes in, so I get to work this season. Now you have to fess up to your instrument Dacker. winksmile.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostSat Dec 09, 2006 11:49 am 
Yeah, I was just replying to your post on thread length while you were replying to mine here and I noticed that the quote feature seems to be off too. Oh, well. Edit: it just came back! I knew you can't be a string player because those are used in the original version doh.gif And Mozart didn't even like the flute! Oh, what do I play?

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Dec 09, 2006 11:55 am 
Of course you're a nroh player. Almost every musician that I hike with is one. Interesting. The nroh parts in this Mozart Messiah are SCREAMING high. Maybe you all should have an Nrohpla concert somewhere cool and Alpine?

dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostSat Dec 09, 2006 12:08 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
Of course you're a nroh player. Almost every musician that I hike with is one.
That's because nroh's and gnikih just sort of go together, doncha think? Can't you just hear Seigfried's call ringing through the mountains? wink.gif (I'm too lazy to lug that heavy thing up there though, so you won't hear it from me.) btw, just because Mozart didn't like flutes, that doesn't reflect my opinion. It's my second favorite instrument. winksmile.gif

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSun Dec 10, 2006 6:45 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
How many concerts can you attend with tunes like "We like sheep"
Well I'm kind of partial to the part about building a highway for God. doh.gif This afternoon's Messiah was terrific - I'm glad I went. Yup, needed a Messiah fix, so thank's for the info. (And the flute section was in fine form!)

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Dec 10, 2006 9:09 pm 
Cool, somebody went. Good thing you chose today as last night was a bit tentative (to put it nicely). Thanks for coming. I almost started laughing at one point because I was spacing out, thinking about the "Social" photo labeling of the drunken bag lady. And this was in a movement I was actually playing in. Thanks, who ever labled that photo rotf.gif

Justan

Justan
PostSun Dec 10, 2006 10:27 pm 
Dacker wrote:
Oh, what do I play?
borank.gif borank.gif I always thought the expression was to play like a cool cat borank.gif borank.gif

-Justan Elk
dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostSun Dec 10, 2006 10:35 pm 
I play one of those and the other one plays me! ykm.gif

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Dec 11, 2006 9:08 am 
Mozart didn't like the flute? But he wrote an entire opera about a flute! Are there any period instrument groups in Seattle?

dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostMon Dec 11, 2006 4:25 pm 
Well, about Mozart's legendary attitude towards the flute. His pitch sense was so acute that the flutes of the day, which were notoriously difficult to play in tune, drove him crazy when he had to listen to them (fingernails on the chalkboard to him). But that didn't keep him from writing masterfully for them. His two flute concertos are staples of the literature. BTW, the Magic Flute isn't exactly about a flute... hockeygrin.gif

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Dec 11, 2006 6:34 pm 
I know, I know, but it HAS a lot of flute... "Ha! das ist Papagenos Ton...."