Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Pets with Seizures?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 7:49 pm 
Our hound had a strong seizer two nights ago. It was very scary, and I really thought he was dying. It lasted 3 minutes max, then after an hour of lethargy, he returned to being pretty normal. 48 hours and 7 miles later, all seems fine. Anyone else experience this with a pet? B

Snowdog
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 6:53 am 
My son's 8 year old husky has seizures. It started a few years ago. She now takes a daily medication that really helps. I do not know the name of the med. I can ask if you wish. As a side note, he is very glad he has pet insurance.

Cyclopath
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 8:04 am 
Two of my dogs have had seizures. My favorite dog turned out to be epileptic. She would have one happen about once a month. Her seizures were weird, but I don't know much about that. She would stiffen up--no shaking. I used that few minutes of time to remove hair wads and trim toenails. She got so she would realize she was on the verge of a seizure and head for me. I'd move her onto the vinyl floor--there was a lot of drool, and the seizure would take place. The vet recommended no treatment because of the once a month frequency. Some things I learned were that Golden Retrievers have more epilepsy than other breeds, and that epileptic dogs may not bark very much. The latter was certainly true for my dog. My Used Dog surprised me by having a seizure. He was a chocloate lab that was a Free To A Good Home dog. He had maybe 4 seizures in his lifetime? I took him to the vet and was given a prescription for valium to "calm his brain" for a week. Was told that seizures like that just happen once in a while and not to worry unless they became more frequent. This may be the case for your dog. The Used Dog's seizures were the opposite of Favorite Dog's. They were violent with spasms and head banging. I would get a pillow and hold him down with it (vet suggestion) until the seizure was over. Seizures are scary and hard on the dogs. They can be a bit dazed afterwards and exhausted. Good luck.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Now I Fly
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 8:08 am 
I had a foster dog that had a massive fatal seizure. What I learned from that is that if your dog has seizures you need to get “rescue” medication from your vet because you won’t be able to get to a vet in time. I think it’s called midazolam and it’s given nasally. I would never have a seizure dog again without having the rescue medication.

Cyclopath  Now I Fly
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 4:00 pm 
I am sorry to hear your pets had seizures. I was amazed to learn from watching youtube videos of bigcatrescue in tampa that those big cats have seizures also, most violent and result in death for the cat.

Cyclopath, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 9:12 pm 
flatsqwerl wrote:
I do not know the name of the med. I can ask if you wish.
Thanks for the offer. We're playing it by ear, for now.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Dec 12, 2023 2:50 pm 
We had a Cocker Spaniel that has one seizure of some kind at about 10 yrs that looked like a stroke (affecting one side) but then had no more until he passed at 13 years. The seizure was traumatic but afterwards he seemed to behave normally.

Now I Fly, Cyclopath
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Dec 13, 2023 1:50 pm 
I had two huskies. One had petite, the other had gran. I have a hunch it might be from anti flea meds. My female got progressively worse until she was a zombie on barbiturates. My current dog is still recovering from a bad case of vestibular anataxia. Can be mistaken for a stroke or seizure depending how it presents. Dizzy, fall down drunk with loss of rear leg use. One eye twitching rapidly left to right,, the other was bulged out and going in fast clockwise circles. Panting, shaking, and mostly just scared because they don't know whats going on. Its been a month and she still has the head tilt and leftward lean. This is her second attack. First one i did think was a seizure, or poisoning.

Cyclopath  cdestroyer
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSat Dec 16, 2023 1:57 pm 
The seizure or Cocker Spaniel had was while we were on a walk and he lost control of one side and fell over. It affected his legs and also facial features. Now that I think about it we also had Cocker/Poodle mix that had seizures periodically when she was younger. She would shake and go into a bit of a trance that would typically last 20-60 seconds she did not completely lose bodily functions (i.e. fall down) but she couldn't really do anything while the seizure took place. When she was young they would happen every 6 months or so but they got further apart as she got older. The vet said it was probably Epilepsy and if the seizures did not happen very often or get more severe no treatment was necessary. I read up afterwards and both Cocker Spaniel and Poodles are prone to epilepsy and it is believed to be genetic.

Now I Fly, treeswarper
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 16, 2023 5:38 pm 
Epilepsy was genetic for my golden. Her sister started having seizures before my dog, then later I heard that the mother dog had started having seizures.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Dec 19, 2023 6:54 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
My current dog is still recovering from a bad case of vestibular anataxia. Can be mistaken for a stroke or seizure depending how it presents. Dizzy, fall down drunk with loss of rear leg use. One eye twitching rapidly left to right,, the other was bulged out and going in fast clockwise circles. Panting, shaking, and mostly just scared because they don't know whats going on. Its been a month and she still has the head tilt and leftward lean.
Wow, that must have been really scary to watch (and go through)

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Dec 19, 2023 7:06 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
The seizure or Cocker Spaniel had was while we were on a walk and he lost control of one side and fell over.
Been on my mind of late. Our hound (Marty) (Marty Robbins!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAO7vs_Q9 is seemingly full on normal. He hiked WT1 & WT2 (up Lingering, TMT, Preston Trail, down K3) with me yesterday. Couldn't help but think of him having another seizure. I guess, when my time comes, I hope it's in the peaks. agree.gif

solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Dec 21, 2023 10:27 pm 
My golden retriever had her first seizure when she was 11 years old. It was, as you (Now I Fly) described, very frightening - thought she was going to die, lasted ~ 3 min, had her dazed for a couple hours, but then she seemed pretty normal after that. Fortunately she didn’t have another for 8 months. Sadly after her 2nd it was only a few weeks till her 3rd, and after that she started having them much closer together. MRI revealed she had a brain tumor. We were able to mostly eliminate the seizures with medication but she didn’t live much longer. Not all seizures are brain tumors so I don’t mean to be an alarmist, but if your dog is young, it’s worth checking. Tumor removal can be quite successful with younger dogs. Mine was 12 when she passed - while not really old, not young for a golden. She was a great hiking companion.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

Now I Fly