Forum Index > Trail Talk > Picture of the Day (Archive 1)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 3:17 am 
Here are a few of my favorite pictures, gleaned at semi-random from my archives, doled out at the rate of one per day, more or less. I am hoping that others will share some of their favorites as well. Feel free to give a story about the picture, or just post the shot without comment, as you prefer. I think there should also be a discussion of the pic if anybody wants to post some comment, meaning "thread drift" is encouraged, especially if it leads to more pics of the same or similar subject. All pics are welcome, whether they be hiking-related or just some kind of history pic. The only criteria is that the poster like the pic. I'll start off the thread with a pic of a deer taken at Moose lake in ONP.
Too-friendly deer at Moose lake
Too-friendly deer at Moose lake

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Kyndra

Kyndra
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 4:17 am 
These were taken on the way up to Paradise. The greedy little thing had two squirrels in his mouth.
rainier 049
rainier 049
rainier 050
rainier 050

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 7:46 am 
Sealions in Seward, AK

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 8:47 am 
slug- the deer looks possessed eek.gif nice shot Kwhite poor squirrels frown.gif He got to fill his tummy that day cool pics AB nice shot funny how they can get all the way to the top of that huh. up.gif up.gif up.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 8:56 am 
Tazz
Quote:
AB nice shot funny how they can get all the way to the top of that huh.
Cams and a rope made from harpoon line. wink.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 11:14 am 
"Running with the caribou".
Denali National Park
Denali National Park
This is on my avatar so I figured I would give you the story. We where deep in Denali NP camping at wonder lake. We took the bus up the road to get a bushwack hike in and take some pics. As most of you know there is no phones, electricity or cars for over 80 miles. We are riding on the bus just after getting picked up and a Park Ranger pulls the bus over. The driver and ranger talk for a few minutes and then the driver gets back on the bus. There where about oh ...say 8-10 people on the bus including us. The driver looked as though he was about to get sick. He turned to all of us and announced that the "Twin towers have been attacked and that 40,000 to 50,000 people are dead. That there are many other planes highjacked." This was around 6 am in the morning (maybe an hour or so after the attacks). All the information was from this ranger who received it via radio. There was a young couple who where from NYC and there entire family lives there. They where frantic trying to get there cell phone to work. It was such an odd feeling to be out there and not be able to get any more info. We still had a couple of days at Wonder Lake. The bus dropped us off and we started to hike up on a ridge. All I could do is think about what was just told to us. Then the caribou came running up. We started to skirt around them and they just stated to run, buck and play. Then we worked our way off the ridge and found a huge bull moose grazing and calling his girl. We watched for two hours.
moose_1_t
moose_1_t
alaska_5_t
alaska_5_t
Then some cranes came flying towards us. As they got closer to the ridge they started to vortex up. The process of vortexing took at least 20-30 mins before they where high enough to fly out. It was an incredible sight to see all of this beauty during such a bad time. We never saw any news till three days after the attacks. I am glad that we where there and away from all the media because when we got back we where in shock as to what we saw on the TV. There is still peace and beauty to be found in this world even during a horrible time in the country. I must say I was glad to not have been home to be consumed by the days of 9-11 but instead at the moment of the attack we where enjoying the beauty this world has to offer us. That is why these three shots are on my favorite list.

Kyndra

Kyndra
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 11:32 am 
Since this thread has taken on an animal theme, here are a couple more. I think the animals were feeling very photogenic this day. They posed for me
hiking 091
hiking 091
hiking 071
hiking 071

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 2:04 pm 
CscdHkr (Dean) wrote:
Tazz
Quote:
AB nice shot funny how they can get all the way to the top of that huh.
Cams and a rope made from harpoon line. wink.gif
moon.gif I was amazed at how slow and heavily they moved..but they covered ground and climbed using their big ol slumbering bodies. Its like they stick to the rock .

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 2:07 pm 
Great pictures everyone up.gif Tazz, I will be going to AK next summer..I hope to do a back country trip in Denali and do some kayaking in seward. It will be hard to get me to come home from there. agree.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 5:25 pm 
Those mule deer around that area run in some big herds and like to taste test your gear if they can, we camped along Moose Lake one night. up.gif . The toilet is quite the thrown right there. I took some pics from Lillian Ridge, probably one of my favorite shots of all time ! hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 8:30 pm 
Ah, a good first day for this thread. I like the way a theme was sort-of followed. KWhite gets the daily prize for best photo series, IMO. up.gif

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostThu Sep 01, 2005 11:46 pm 
While not the best picture, this little guy just would not leave me alone. He was climbing all over my pack..........and me, just to get to my lunch
littlebugger
littlebugger
burger.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 1:51 am 
New day, new pic:
Mine cars above Williams lake
Mine cars above Williams lake
This is some mining equipment in a mine tunnel above Williams lake. More flash photography.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 7:46 am 
Deliverance
Deliverance

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 9:10 am 
Every time we'd pass "Turtle Rock" on the Twin Falls trail near our house my two year old daughter would get terribly excited. I jokingly suggested she should give it a hug. Now we stop each time we go by to share the love. <sigh>