Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Further on the NPS Management Policies Issue:
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostMon Sep 19, 2005 8:14 pm 
High Contry News current issue has more info on Hoffman's rewriting of the management document. See this web site

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 19, 2005 9:25 pm 
Did you post the right link? I don't see the story you refer to, just breaking news like this illustrating what could happen if the Hoffman policies are implemented. Hmm, you think they might have worked in their concern over Brittney Spears holding a concert at the battlefield. hmmm.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Sep 19, 2005 11:45 pm 
mike, Great Web site, and a great quote at the bottom of the homepage: http://npsretirees.org/
Newton Drury wrote:
"If we are going to succeed in preserving the greatness of the national parks, they must be held inviolate. They represent the last stands of primitive America. If we are going to whittle away at them we should recognize, at the very beginning, that all such whittlings are cumulative and that the end result will be mediocrity."

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 20, 2005 12:54 am 
And here I thought wilderness represented the "last stands of primitive America", but apparently it's land with roads, visitor centers, campgrounds, and thousands upon thousands of tourists. Who knew?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 20, 2005 1:43 am 
I guess I'm still not sure what's new here? Sure, that's the website of the group responsible for the fanfare surrounding the original story as noted here in page 2 of the original thread.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Sep 20, 2005 10:40 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
And here I thought wilderness represented the "last stands of primitive America", but apparently it's land with roads, visitor centers, campgrounds, and thousands upon thousands of tourists. Who knew?
Your unreasonable pessimism is noted.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
mike

mike
PostTue Sep 20, 2005 6:35 pm 
Quote:
I guess I'm still not sure what's new here?...
Website is that of the group to which the documents were leaked and has the actual text of the proposed new FS document changes by Hoffman. The previous thread had a lot of talk about the issue without any of the facts. Thought someone make want to actually read the thing before making up their minds. Here is a link to the High Country News article. Not much new there.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 20, 2005 10:51 pm 
Quote:
Thought someone make want to actually read the thing before making up their minds.
That's basically what I said when I posted the link. I guess it just slipped under the radar.