Forum Index > Gear Talk > Underwear!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostSat Oct 26, 2002 2:43 pm 
What kind of long underwear does everyone prefer? I see that Smartwool seems to be popular but is that what everyone uses? Ready for the investment but can't decide on what to buy!

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
L. Cheepoh

L. Cheepoh
PostSat Oct 26, 2002 9:12 pm 
I get whatever non-cotton material is on sale. Since I wear the stuff so often, and they wear out after a while, I have to go with price. I don't think it makes THAT much difference. I've worn several types and what matters more is if I can stretch it over my boots, so I can peel off that layer without taking the boots off.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostSun Oct 27, 2002 8:16 am 
I prefer the polypropylene lightweight stuff for both tops and bottoms. They keep mewarm when its cool and don't make me overheated when it's warm. They wick the moisture out quickly and last for many years. I personally haven't had a problem with them stinking but many people do.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Oct 27, 2002 9:09 am 
REI Brand midweights are not too bad, keeps you warm and feels good against the skin.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostTue Oct 29, 2002 9:36 am 
DO NOT use cotton!!! Cotton sucks very hard. Hint, hint: stay away from Duofold. I like anything 100% polyester, as this wicks away sweat quickly and breathes well. I have a pair of "Hot Chillys." I don't know where my parents got them, but I've seen them for sale at ski resorts. They work very well. I personally prefer Patagonia Capilene. This is superior to everything in my opinion. I've had my pair since I was 13 (I'm 24 now) and aside from wanting to patch a small hole worn in the knee, they've worked wonders for me over the many times I've worn them. Yes, they're quite expensive, but I'll guarantee that you will be satisfied. Anything that will last you 10 years and still go strong is worth $80 for top and bottom. Look online at REI-outlet.com and you might get a good deal. Speaking of REI-outlet, I got a Helly Hansen boarding jacket, originally $300, for $65. I'm a big fan of REI outlet when I have the money to actually buy something.

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Oct 29, 2002 12:20 pm 
undies
When I went to buy something other than cotton longjohns, I couldn't decide if I should get lightweight, midweight or heavyweight polypro. I figured midweight was the best compromise, though it is sometimes too dang warm. I am impressed by just how warm it keeps me and how much quicker it dries than that cotton stuff... REI Outlet is a good place to look. Also check Sierra Trading Post, they always seem to have a good price on it.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Dante

Dante
PostTue Oct 29, 2002 6:09 pm 
I like the feel of Merino wool. My second choice is polyester microfiber. Cabelas sells some merino cheaper than Smartwool and then there's another brand called Ulfrote or something like that and Icebreaker from New Zealand. Unfortunately, most wool is too heavy for me--like midweight polypro. I want to try one of the new lighter weight tops from Icebreakers or Smartwool (Aero). The new stuff is about the same weight as light weight Capilene.

PostWed Oct 30, 2002 10:30 am 
personally, I don't think it matters much. Its all good. But I would take exception with this
Quote:
stay away from Duofold
Duofold "Coolmax" is what I use as a first layer.

Dante

Dante
PostWed Oct 30, 2002 12:04 pm 
Me too. I picked up some Duofold Coolmax Alta cheap. I like it better than Patagucci's silkweight capilene.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 30, 2002 12:14 pm 
I bought some merlino wool underwear from REI (if you read the fine print they're only 20% merlino wool). I haven't used them yet but am curious if anyone else has used this product? BTW, sizing runs a bit small.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Oct 31, 2002 11:34 am 
Cabelas has the best deal I found when I looked: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0007097&navAction=jump It's 100% merino. An XL crew-neck tips my scale at a little over 8 oz. Sierra Trading Post has some Smartwool on sale for $38 right now, but I think the Cabellas stuff is lighter.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Nov 02, 2002 10:03 am 
I havent tried Dante's Merino, but my vote goes to SmartWool! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Nov 28, 2002 3:40 am 
We must be shopping at the same store--I have custom fleece hot pants for when my hiney gets cold, or when there is too much deadfall or bushwhacking for my hiking skirt. cool.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods