Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Jul 12, 2023 2:09 pm 
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part I was a whole lot of fun. It's long, but so well paced that you don't feel the length. For me, it was the best installment of the Mission: Impossible series to date.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jul 20, 2023 7:40 pm 
Oppenheimer was a spectacular, near perfect movie (for me). In typical Christopher Nolan fashion thereís a bit of interleaving of timelines, but I found that the choice worked really well, and kept the storyline(s) interesting throughout (or, at least after the first 15min or so, when a pattern emerges). Cillian Murphy delivers an understated, but fantastic performance, and I found him extremely believable as Oppenheimer. Robert Downey Jr., Emily Blunt and Matt Damon (in this order) were also great in their respective supporting roles. Highly recommended!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jul 20, 2023 8:41 pm 
^^^ I've decided to see Oppenheimer on the big screen, but despite what director Nolan says, I'm not convinced that seeing it in IMAX is all that necessary. (We have that option here in Seattle.) But I want to wait until the crowds thin out a bit. I was going to start reading American Prometheus in the meantime, but there's even a crowd at the library. I could see in the SPL's online catalog that, despite many copies in various formats, all of them are on hold by dozens of folks, so probably won't be available until ... maybe Christmas. On a related note, a reader comment to an article about Oppenheimer in the NYTimes mentioned a 1983 made-for-TV film about a fictitious nuclear war titled The Day After . I'd never heard of it. Supposedly it affected President Reagan greatly and helped change his mind about nuclear war policy. In 1987 it was shown on Soviet TV during the Gorbachev glasnost era. Might be a good time for everybody on the international scene (especially the Russians) to look at that film again.

"There are yahoos out there. Itís why we canít have nice things." - Tom Mahood
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Jul 21, 2023 5:14 am 
Seeing Oppenheimer on the biggest screen you can catch it on would be preferable, but not really necessary in my opinion. There are only a few scenes where thatís going to make an impact. The music score is majestic, which would work better with a large screen, but reallyÖ I donít know why theyíve been pushing IMAX so much.

Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jul 21, 2023 8:33 am 
Thanks! Confirms my feeling that the difficulty in getting to our local IMAX, higher price plus parking difficulty is not worth the benefit, I can just it in my neighborhood. Meanwhile, the NYT just published an article about a new study showing that the fallout from the Manhattan Project test was much more extensive than estimated or known at the time. Interesting timing for that coming to light with the film release, eh?

GaliWalker
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Nov 30, 2023 10:04 am 
Godzilla Minus One was awesome! Characters you cared about (please, please, Godzilla, stomp over there, not here)...themes that make you think...and killer action sequences. I think this movie might have walked the line between character arcs and largescale action sequences the best of any action-thriller I can remember seeing. Jaws meets Jurrassic Park meets a disaster movie is probably the best way to describe the action. Yes, there were a few parts the movie conveniently glossed over, and there was the rare letdown in the CGI (understandable, given the minuscule budget by Hollywood standards), but I didn't care one bit. I had a blast from start to finish. In the (totally packed) theater I saw the movie in, there was clapping before the film started and lots more when it ended.

gb

gb
PostMon Dec 25, 2023 3:23 pm 
Peace by Chocolate is a fantastic Indie Film I watched on PBS. Truly an amazing story set in Nova Scotia about a family of refugees from Syria that persevere to become internationally successful and famous. Don't miss this movie! https://www.pbs.org/video/peace-by-chocolate-trailer-szmews/

seawallrunner, Anne Elk, Kascadia
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Dec 26, 2023 8:03 am 
The Boys In The Boat Not a review but some back story. Judy Rantz-Willman is a neighbor and her dad, Joe Rantz, had the gold medal since he was the last surviving crew member. But as a kid Judy never saw the medal since it was lost. One day Joe was repairing some roofing on his house and noticed some shiny stuff in the exposed insulation. Apparently a squirrel had been collecting stuff and made a stash which somehow included the gold medal.

graywolf, seawallrunner, NWtrax  Anne Elk
idoru

idoru
PostTue Dec 26, 2023 9:16 am 
I did a double-feature of The Boy & The Heron and Poor Things last Friday. Both were absolutely incredible, beautiful, wonderfully crafted films in their own right and I'd highly recommend checking them out.

Lightning_bug, GaliWalker
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Dec 27, 2023 2:25 pm 
We saw The Boy and the Heron and concur! Excellent, introspective film. I think they should have stuck with the original title though, 'How do you live?'.

idoru
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Dec 28, 2023 8:03 am 
I saw Boys in the Boat on Boxing Day in a nearly-empty cinema in Montrealó the big crowds gathered for Ferrari and Godzilla-1 in the multiplex. Superb film. Local boys (Oly peninsula and mainland WA) astound spectators with their grit and work ethic. I walked in knowing little-to-nothing about the (true) story. The movie is well cast, and nicely directed by George Clooney who wants to bring back sweeping romantic films from the 50s & 60s. With this, he is successful. He is less successful when taking some liberties with some of the story (no spoilers please). But overall, a very enjoyable two hours in the cinema. Apparently the book is very good too.

graywolf
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Dec 30, 2023 2:44 pm 
I dragged the entire family to see The Boys in the Boat today. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, particularly the boat race scenes. Our theater was completely packed, without a single empty seat. The audience was on the older side, and all seemed to have fun. I wouldn't call the film a movie-making showpiece, but it was definitely a crowd pleaser. Oh, I also saw Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, and that was a disappointment. It's not bad, just okay. I went in with low expectations, and these were met, but barely. Not recommended, unless you have time to kill.

graywolf
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Dec 30, 2023 4:08 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
Superb film. Local boys (Oly peninsula and mainland WA) astound spectators with their grit and work ethic. I walked in knowing little-to-nothing about the (true) story.
When the book first came out I couldn't figure what everyone was "on" about; I knew nothing about it. (I have a thing about the over-glorification of contemporary competitive sports). I didn't even know that the UW had ever won at the Olympics. shakehead.gif Watching the PBS documentary about the team educated me; now I'm looking forward to seeing how Clooney has dramatized it. I have a teensy experience of being in a rowing shell (lessons one summer at Greenlake in 4's), so I have an appreciation for its challenges: the strength to do it is one thing; the "zen" of the expert's level of coordination must be other-worldly to observe.

graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Dec 30, 2023 4:55 pm 
Just a few minutes from my house:

The only easy day was yesterday...

seawallrunner, GaliWalker
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Dec 30, 2023 8:21 pm 
Watched ďThe HoldoversĒ last night on Amazon Prime nice indi flix from the director and star of Sideways the kind of film the Academy tends to like over blockbusters.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

graywolf