Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Snoqualmie National Forest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostSun Nov 03, 2002 11:19 pm 
Today I found a sign nailed to a tree for an abandoned trail that was labeled "Snoqualmie National Forest". Anybody know when the two forests were merged? That would give a latest date for the sign.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
JimK

JimK
PostMon Nov 04, 2002 8:54 am 
I was curious about the date myself. I emailed them and this was the reply: Hello - The Mt. Baker and Snoqualmie National Forests were consolidtated in 1974 for administrative purposes. Source: "A Cultural Resource Overview: Prehistory, Ethnography and History. Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest", Jan L. Hollenbeck, August 1987. Becky Zahn Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Nov 04, 2002 10:25 pm 
To me it seems like the consolidation was the beginning of a series of events that perhaps lessened the service aspect of the Forest Service. Consider how things used to be. 1. Free maps 2. Free camping and picnicing at places like Denny Creek 3. Rustic campgrounds 4. More campgrounds (on the North Fork of the Snoq. River, and also, remember the small camp area right below Alpental on the road down to Denny Creek?) 5. Sometimes you even had free firewood at the picnic sites 6. No trail fees How it is now: 1. Maps cost 2. Camping costs and so does even the lowly yet All American picnic 3. Campgrounds are often paved and geared more towards RV's than the casual family camper, and they are monitored by volunteers to make sure you pay the dues 4. Some campgrounds have been consolidated and some have group only areas that are reserved by large groups 5. Not sure about the free firewood, but somehow I doubt it unless maybe you are a paying group 6. Trail fees I'm sure the consolidation wasn't the start of the process but rather a step in the process but I still can't figure it out since you would think they were rolling in the dough even into the early 80's? rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostMon Nov 04, 2002 11:32 pm 
You may recall how high taxes were before Reagan -- up to 70% for the rich folks. My tax rate dropped from 22% to 15% in those years. With a lot less income comes a lot less service. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice. There may have been a short-term "legacy" of free this and free that, but it ain't practical in today's economy. Now those lame-o RV campgrounds are another matter, but then I don't understand why everybody "needs" 4WD to get to Snow Lake, rain jackets built for climbing Himalayan peaks, $70 sticks in each hand whilst hiking, and 3-car garages to store their Christmas ornaments. <grin>

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Nov 05, 2002 7:59 am 
I have to say that I had no problem getting to Snow Lake but alot of problems leaving but that's because I didn't have a flashlight. And I have to admit, even a $2 one from Payless would have done the job. If walking sticks cost $70, I can't imagine how valuable the rest of the tree is. What kind of special rain do they use?