Forum Index > Photography Talk > Photo Labs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Nov 07, 2002 8:31 pm 
I'm looking for a good and reliable Photo developing lab in the greater Seattle area. Preferably north of Seattle. Maybe Everett area? No Costco or Rite-Aid. Got a fav? TIA NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostThu Nov 07, 2002 10:45 pm 
I've used Overlake Photo for processing of slides for many years now. Since I live too far away to make it easy now (i.e. Fall City) they allow you to mail in film for processing. About a 6 day turn-around, quantity discounts, and I've only had problems with water markings on images once in over a thousand rolls of film. Not located where you desire, but it's an alternative. I also have had excellent success (and cost savings go with it) using mail in envelopes to Kodak/Fuji. Great for when I don't mind waiting 10-14 days for the images to be back in my hands. You'll need to ask elsewhere regarding print film.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 9:22 am 
I'm thinkin they're at 130th & Bell-Red Rd.? A little far but I maybe give them a try. I see Kenmore camera may do their own too. Thanks NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 5:38 pm 
Ivey Seeright in Seattle! I've been using this place for 10+ years. Fantastic work. TB up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 6:26 pm 
BPJ, We've got no place out here in the sticks. Might be worth the drive. How spendy are they? Not that it really matters, since quality and service rate first. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 7:35 am 
I had Overlake do a couple of 1 hr Express rolls for me yesterday to see how they do.. Not too bad other than one had a spot. The rest appeared to be pretty good quality. When I consider how far out of the way I sometimes drive for a hike, I guess it isn't all that far. Mine were $27.xx inc. tax for 2 24 exp rolls with single 4x6 prints. Had to pay extra for express. Overlake Photo Wonder where Art Wolfe has his done. NN smile.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 11:26 am 
I would second Ivey Seright for enlargements. I believe the smallest print they do is 5x7. They also process 35mm slides. Their super glossy process makes real nice enlargements. Here is some recent news on them. http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2002/10/07/story4.html Mystic and Skrudland are supposed to be good mail order places. http://www.mysticcolorlab.com/ Signature Color is a division of Skrudland. I'm not sure what their reputation is but their shortbread cookies look good. http://www.signaturecolor.com/home/

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 10:00 pm 
Our family has had quality work with Price Photo near Greenlake on Roosevelt, that venerable strip of concrete. They also do speciality photo work from other areas and now have purchased machinery to put photo's on disk. They are a small establishment and always greet you with a smile and a brass stud in their mouth, or other body part or the least colorful hair. They look like your future kids and grandkids. Hard to find good content on this site the last few weeks, perhaps we need some controversy in the political arena. DROCK

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 9:32 pm 
I've had Ivey Seright/Photobition do a number of 11x14 enlargements from negative film for me over the years and for the most part I have gotten great results. If you have a problem with their work they fix it. You feel like a pro dealing with them. For regular negative film prints I use Mystic Color Lab mailorder, they charge $8.95/24 exposures/double prints and the results are really good I think- certainly better than your local drugstore. Turnaround time is 7-10 days so if you're in a hurry they might not be for you. For slide film I've used Fuji and Kodak prepaid processing mailers and the slides came back looking good & with no dust, etc. on them. B & H Photo is the place to go online for picking up these mailers cheap, as well as your film. Where DOES Art Wolfe get his stuff done? I prefer his landscape rather than wildlife work but he's great. Galen Rowell was and is a personal fav, too. David Muench...I'm digressing! P.S. Redmond's Ben Franklin frame shop does really good quality archival framing and they have bargain framing packages. I think they could be a best-kept secret in framing until now..

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 11:21 pm 
Side note warning...but with the mention of framing and Ben Franklin (which I also would say they do a very good job) I can't recommend enough just learning the skills yourself if you are interested in doing a fair number of framed items in the years ahead. Taking a class or three through most of the park and recreation divisions of most towns will give you the skills to REALLY have some fun! Nothing like having the guest bedroom bed be a storage holding place for the tons of matte boards, foam core, and the matte cutter that I have! Good long dark winter night projects will keep you entertained if you can just do this yourself. And you'll do it for 1/2 the cost or more.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 11:35 pm 
Alan, you are absolutely right! It is a skill which can be done with a little know-how and is truly rewarding not to mention cheaper if one is framing a lot. It's not for me at the moment due to space issues but I'd like to get into it eventually. But for the occasional masterpiece which calls for a good presentation framing you can't beat Ben Franklin in my opinion. You can surely pay twice as much at least at some of those "do-it-yourself" framing stores which are a complete rip-off (I know, I've done it!). I should get some kind of deal from Ben Franklin now that I'm plugging them so much!!

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Nov 11, 2002 9:50 am 
Don't trust the mail order biz. May give Ivey Seright a try. They may very well be the ones for the enlargements. I may give Price Photo a look see. It's closer. This Seattle/Bellevue stuff has gotta quit. I try to not go to those places. I'm a small town country boy. You know, still got poop on my boots. Thanks, NN smile.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Nov 11, 2002 12:51 pm 
MooseAndSquirrel wrote:
Where DOES Art Wolfe get his stuff done? I prefer his landscape rather than wildlife work but he's great. Galen Rowell was and is a personal fav, too. David Muench...I'm digressing!
Digress away! Those are certainly some of my favorite landscape photographers, particularly Muench. I'll also add to the list: John Shaw, Marc Muench, Charlie Waite, Pat O'Hara, Lee Mann. There are also some good local photographers as well (besides the PNW locals Wolfe, O'Hara and Mann) that aren't necessarily fulltimers, people like Russ Hamilton, Bill Atkinson and Bob Johnson. For those that might be interested, the Mountaineers camera club has a photography lecture series every spring and invites some big name people in. I missed this year's series, but the 2001 series was very good. For 2003 they have Marc Muench and George Lepp coming in!

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Nov 11, 2002 7:11 pm 
Digressing Alert
I haven't made one of those pro photo lectures yet but did take their photography course a few years ago and for the price ($50?) it was a great deal- if I remember 3-4 evening slide lectures by Mountaineer club photo pros & experienced amateurs on different aspects of photography (composition, exposure, equipment, etc.), a couple of half-day (early morning start) field trips to local photo ops., and really just the chance to mingle with some folks from whom you can pick their brains to better your knowledge. If you learn one new thing about photography it's worthwhile. I'm interested in someday trying out one of those single or multiday field trip/lecture series with a noted photographer(s). I've read mixed reviews of the value you get from some of them (other than rubbing lenses with the likes of Art Wolfe or Pat O'Hara, etc.). I was really interested in Galen Rowell's classes but unfortunately he's passed away. Hey I checked out your site McCaver, nice stuff & you've been to some places I'd eventually would like to photograph (Arches, Yellowstone, Banff). I've been to Bryce,Zion,Yosemite,Big Sur, Eastern Sierra (White Mtns./Bristlecone Pines/Mono Lk./Bodie ghost town), Palouse (just missed a student riot in Pullman-musta run outta beer) and of course this neck of the woods has a few delights as well. Happy Shooting.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Nov 11, 2002 10:32 pm 
MooseAndSquirrel wrote:
Hey I checked out your site McCaver
Ack! Don't look at it! Those pictures are 2 years old and not at all a good representation of my work. There are maybe 2-3 pictures on my site that I'll keep online when I finally get around to updating it, but the rest have to go! One of these days I'll actually get all my photos cataloged and the best ones put online. Until then, I should probably take the current site offline. tongue.gif
Asscent wrote:
you've been to some places I'd eventually would like to photograph (Arches, Yellowstone, Banff). I've been to Bryce,Zion,Yosemite,Big Sur, Eastern Sierra, Palouse
I try to do at least one major photo road trip every year, as time and finances allow. The last one was June 2001 to Glacier NP in Montana. It looks like i may get the chance to go to Redwood NP and Yosemite NP this winter too. The place I really want to go back to is the Canadian Rockies. I haven't been there since Sept 1999 and didn't have the photo gear I have now. I could spend weeks up there. Alaska is also high on my list. And a revisit to the Tetons. Some day...
Asscent wrote:
Happy Shooting.
And to you! smile.gif