Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Universe expanding?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Nov 20, 2002 1:05 pm 
I watched some documentaries on television that some theorists believe the universe is expanding. And due to this expanding they can theorize the beginning time of the universe. It seems this theory is becoming more and more the norm. Hasn’t anyone come up with the theory that the universe has always existed and it expands AND contracts just like a glacier? And we are only experiencing the expansion part?

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Nov 20, 2002 1:31 pm 
It seems to me that theories are always riddled with contradiction. Theorists readily admit that measuring the universe is not absolute. It's just theoretically arrived at. To me this is where the contradictions start to take place. How can you measure expansion on an area that is not admittedly measurable? It's also interesting where last night I was watching a report on 2 "Black Holes" that are converging supposedly in an expanding universe. Theory on this is that a universal appocalypse will take place when they converge. Time frame and actual fallout if and when the event happens is guess what?....Theoretical!!!! I guess I'll just have to treat this event as I would any other world ending event. I have my lounge chair, sunglasses, and popcorn. It would be a once in a lifetime thing to see and I won't want to miss it. biggrin.gif BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 7:41 pm 
Not to worry. Next year they will have a different theory. What they see now is so far away and so old that it very well could be contracting right now. Who can really say. Those black holes may already have merged and created another universe where there is an earth like planet that has trees and mountains and water and air and even a hole in the ozone layer. I remember a number of years back they reported that they saw the edge of space, and there was nothing on the other side. I fell off my chair laughing so hard. How do they know there is nothing? Maybe nothing as we know it. Crap they can't even predict the weather or acknowledge that the earth goes thru warming and cooling trends ALL on it's own. All very interesting stuff but really just a best educated speculation. I will admit the Hubble shots are out of this world. No pun intended. Wish I could take photos like that. NN cool.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.