Forum Index > Food & Grub > Do you buy pack-food offseason because it's on sale?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 5:28 pm 
Just wondering. I'm often tempted to stock up on sale items but don't because i'm afraid it will go bad (or go less-good that is). What are your opinions? Can freeze-dried meals go lame?

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 5:44 pm 
I don't think it really goes lame all that quickly, but I still would recommend buying it when you need it.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Luc

Luc
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 5:46 pm 
I almost loaded up when I saw super-cheap meals at Wal-Mart (shhh don't tell anyone I went to Wal-Mart)

GNGSTR
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 5:49 pm 
I have some five year old freeze dried hamburger patties and a few other equally ancient entrees my parents sent me for Xmas one year kicking around here.....anyone want them? gag.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 6:11 pm 
What? I have never had Top Ramen go bad on me. Top Ramen. Cheap. Lightweight. Buncha calories. Never goes bad. Tastes good.

Art is an adventure.
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 6:23 pm 
freeze-dries in sealed pouches have a 7-10 year shelf life depending on the storage temperature, much like mre's. canned freeze-dries have a 30+ year shelf life. i haven't bought any in awhile, but when i do i always get them during the off-season when they go on sale.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 7:32 pm 
Same as Marzsit..properly sealed freeze dried lasts for about forever. Dried fruit/vegetables sealed will last a couple years sealed properly. Stuff like drink packets you have a year or two with no issues. Ramen....the stuff is deep fried....it isn't going to go bad wink.gif If you think you will use it, buy it....but don't forget about it-in some dank dark cupboard..lol!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 7:55 pm 
sarbar wrote:
..properly sealed freeze dried lasts for about forever.
good to know. I keep getting these rei gift certs and I don't need yoga clothing, and the only other thing REI sells for wimmen is - well, nothing. so I boughten some Mtn Hse beef strogonoff for summer trips. I sure do like that stuff.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 8:24 pm 
Quark wrote:
sarbar wrote:
..properly sealed freeze dried lasts for about forever.
good to know. I keep getting these rei gift certs and I don't need yoga clothing, and the only other thing REI sells for wimmen is - well, nothing. so I boughten some Mtn Hse beef strogonoff for summer trips. I sure do like that stuff.
hurl.gif You can eat that stuff? I ate so much of it years ago, I get green just smellin' it. I'm sure REI has some snazzy hot pink thong underwear for us ladies lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
greg

greg
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 8:25 pm 
I have some beef stew thats about 15 years old, it's always been in the pack on longer trips as emergency food. I wouldn't eat it unless it was a bonafide emergency. I call it Fred now. Stefan, if you think top raman tastes great, then you can have Fred, you could save him for a special occasion.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 10:00 pm 
sarbar wrote:
hurl.gif You can eat that stuff? I ate so much of it years ago, I get green just smellin' it.
Better'n a stale package of oatmeal that had morphed into a hard cake after soaking in white gas for 2 weeks. I know the love affair with the beef stroganoff won't last forever - these things never do (I was in love with International Coffee one summer, Folger's coffee bags another, but they were short affairs, as this will be) I only have freeze dried stuff a few times a year, when I'm super-lazy or unimaginative - I mean more than usual. The most I ever had on one trip was with that youth group I co-lead. The organization supplied us with freeze-dried dinners for 5 nights. By the third night, it all tasted the same. I didn't detest it, but I learned that you can't eat that stuff for much more than 2 nights. Well, you can - it's just boring as hell.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 10:24 pm 
I bought some of the new Mountainhouse Nitro packed one man jobbers this past summer that I didn't use. They advertise a "Use by" date of April 17th 2010. So that looks like a *conservative* shelf life of around five years.........

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jan 06, 2006 12:43 am 
Quote:
I call it Fred now.
Is that as in Fred Beckey? I saw a first edition of The Challenge of Rainier tonight, and he looked old 30-odd years ago.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Jan 06, 2006 7:11 am 
Spill the beans! Where's the sale? I've had FD meals for a few years before using them. No problem at all with them staying edible.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
greg

greg
PostFri Jan 06, 2006 7:27 am 
marylou wrote:
Quote:
I call it Fred now.
Is that as in Fred Beckey? I saw a first edition of The Challenge of Rainier tonight, and he looked old 30-odd years ago.
Reminds me of a disgusting Willie Nelson joke I'll tell ya sometime. Actually, it won't work now because you know the punchline. clown.gif