Previous :: Next Topic
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 10:34 am 
dicey wrote:
Free Lunch up.gif biggrin.gif
I just can't get into grazing at Costco. Until after I've had my morning coffee at Dunn Lumber.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Andrew

Andrew
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 11:02 am 
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the giant tubs of red licorice! Haven't been to Costco in awhile but I remember always picking up one of the lovely tubs.

Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 11:40 am 
The Irish Dubliner cheese has become a backpacking staple for me Ling Ling potstickers DVDs Kids' books $1.50 Polish sausages Software Land O Lakes hot chocolate (again for backpacking) Razor blades Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce Hamburger patties Just about everything else I need...I love Costco...there's a reason it's always crowded. I remember going as a kid with my friend's parents and we'd be there for hours so we would go back repeatedly to the sample tables to fill up. We thought we were pretty sneaky because we would trade hats or jackets or take something off so the people working the tables wouldn't recognize us...we had them so fooled...I know this because they never stopped us from taking more.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
ree

ree
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 11:44 am 
Last time I was there, the checkout lines were the usual crush of anxious people. This couple in line had two kids with them; one was sitting in the cart, screaming and crying at the top of his lungs. When I looked at his face, I noticed it was dotted with chicken pox!!! I could not believe the insensitivity of these parents!! - Subjecting their poor, sick kid to the Costco madhouse, with its hallucinogenic lighting and the deafening sound of crashing shopping carts - to say nothing of exposing the free-lunch-eating public to the disease! Some people! mad.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 11:56 am 
CscdHkr (Dean) wrote:
Costco 1.50 hotdogs ... Kirkland organic peanut butter
After eating the preservative-laden hotdog, you make up for it with some organic peanut butter? uhh.gif wink.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 11:58 am 
Costco can work for just two people. We were skeptical at first so we tagged along with a friend for a while and soon found that it would pay off. We have a regular list and make a 'run' ever two weeks. - gas - Peanuts - TrailMix - Apples - Catfood/Cat Litter - Olive Oil - Balsamic Vinegar - Detergent/dishwasher soap - batteries - light bulbs - beer/wine/sparkling water - milk - Boca Burgers - Frozen Shrimp - Books - Software - Reading glasses (yep, we need them also) - Sugar, chocolate chips, vanilla, nuts if I'm baking - Organic salad mix, tomatoes, onion, 10lb potatoes, avocado - Anything at the Seafood extravaganza - Electronic equipment (mp3 player, portable HD for photos, computer equipment) I have difficulty with the cheese since we do have a hard time eating it all before going bad.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 11:59 am 
I'll be so sick of Costco food after tax season, including the giant tubs of red licorice. Costco delivers here once a week and will continue to do so til mid-April, and the order includes tons of candy (one whole ton is devoted to red licorice), 3 kinds of cheeses, breakfast muffins, lunchmeat, chips, PB&J, oatmeal, yogurt, L'eggo's and syrup, 2 kinds of bread 3 kinds of milk, and various other grubbin' stuff.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 12:35 pm 
Trail Mix (rules, can I say that enough?) Bag o' Avocados (ambrosia) Milton's bread (good and good for you) Santa Barbara Bay Seafood Spread (toured their plant in Buellton, CA - best boondoggle work trip of 2004) My Karcher pressure washer makes cleaning the slime off the walks and patio easy as pie and has a Honda motor purrs like a contented kitten. And TP, the 11th essential.

Let me stand next to your fire
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 2:23 pm 
Darn, I almost forgot....Costco Coolmax T shirts are the bomb! up.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 5:12 pm 
San Francisco Bay French Roast We drink a lot of coffee around the house and now my 18 year old has got the "jones" as well. Definitely good value for a nice robust coffee. - Milton's Bread and - TP, of course

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
greg

greg
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 7:39 pm 
ree wrote:
Last time I was there, the checkout lines were the usual crush of anxious people. This couple in line had two kids with them; one was sitting in the cart, screaming and crying at the top of his lungs. When I looked at his face, I noticed it was dotted with chicken pox!!! I could not believe the insensitivity of these parents!! - Subjecting their poor, sick kid to the Costco madhouse, with its hallucinogenic lighting and the deafening sound of crashing shopping carts - to say nothing of exposing the free-lunch-eating public to the disease! Some people! mad.gif
My favorite thing about the place is seeing it in the rearview mirror. Creeps me out. Last time I was in there some fat lady near ran me down with her heaping cart full of crap, then looked at me like I was some kind of skinny loser (and I ain't that thin). I think there was a twoferone on buckets of Cheetos. So I stay away.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 11:07 pm 
Last time I went to Costco, I was amused by a woman who was trying to reason with her 4 year old regarding the child's having a hissy fit because her mom wouldn't buy her the Large Print dictionary. "Now, honey, you have all kinds of books at home. where would you put this one?" Like as if the kid has thought this whole thing through. "Meh! Mommy iwanna bookeeee. Nyah!" "Honey, Mommy and daddy already have a dictionary." Like as if the kid gives a rats ass. "BaaaBaaaaa. Meh. Meh! yadddddaaaaa [screech, holler, roll on floor]" "Sweetie, this is a nineteen dollar book, and you don't know how to read yet, Peaches. Do you really want a book you can't read?" Like as if the kid gives a rats ass. "Brrrelleeeelllllareffffffgggeh! [head spins around and child spits out green mucus] Moommmmmeee I wanna disbook buyitformeeee. Da! Da da da" Hell if that were my mom, she'd grab the book, put it back on the shelf, give me that look, and that would be the end of it. What a woman mom was - she single-handedly took 7 kids to church every Sunday for 15 years (dad didn't go). Once, I tested her, though. One time at bedtime when we wouldn't quiet down, she told us kids (after a tongue-lashing) "and not another word out of any of you!" I of course said, "word." Boy that really set her off! I never did that again.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 11:14 pm 
Oh, I forgot to list socks! Chubbyhubby goes through cotton socks like they're water or something. We buy them by the gross. Jeans, sweat pants, pajamas, ibuprofen, and claritin. Oh, and we buy office supplies there. It's also the place to get dog toys, every now and then they'll have a big pack of assorted toys for way cheaper than you could get the toys individually.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 11:35 pm 
Coffe, how could I have forgotten the fabulous and cheap Costco coffee! My dad used to tell us kids to "keep it down to a dull roar", which of course brought forth our best lion imitations. My dad never quit, though. He never won, but he never quit. My kids got the same lesson in gentle parental tolerance from him. Luckily he and my mom are still going strong at 80 (which is the new 60 lol.gif ), so when my grandchildren are someday created, hopefully that "family value" will be passed on to yet another generation. If the job should fall to me though, I believe I'll be prepared.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostFri Jan 27, 2006 11:53 pm 
I still have yet to purchase thing-one from Costco