Forum Index > Food & Grub > Hash Browns
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 10:47 am 
Do we have any short-order cooks around here? I've been trying to cook hash browns the last few weekends and I keep screwing it up. It always ends up uncooked and gooey inside. Really important stuff, I know, but I'm stuck at home today and feel like cooking a huge artery-clogging breakfast. What I normally do: shred the spuds and wash with hot water in a colander, let is rest for five minutes or so, then do it again to get the starch out. I put olive oil in in a fry pan and bring it up to medium-hot, the add the spuds. I cover and cook for maybe 8-10 minutes then take the cover off and flip the spuds once, cook another 5 minutes or so, then reduce heat and cook another few minutes. It never seems to work for me. Today I'm doing the starch washing thing, then I'll spread the spuds out on paper towels to get moisture out, then toss in the fry pan with crisco this time (I know the evils of hydrogenated fats, but I use it probably once every two months). Am I doing something wrong? By the way, I make the best fried potatoes on the planet, but I can't seem to get the hang of cooking HBs. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 11:32 am 
Never mind....it worked. Drying the spuds on paper towels for a little while seemed to do the trick. -C

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 11:37 am 
They taste better if you cook them in bacon fat. devilsmile.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 2:13 pm 
I load the grated spuds into a clean dishcloth and wring as much water as I possibly can out. They always come out fine for me. Also, make sure you're oil is good and hot before you add the spuds. I use corn oil for this because it can go hotter before reaching the smoke point.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 2:36 pm 
You actually don't want to remove the starch by rinsing the grated potatoes. You need the starch to hold the cake of hash browns together. Use russet potatoes because they are high in starch. To get the best browning use butter. Bacon grease and vegetable oil produce hash browns with less color and flavor. Here's the recipe: 1 lb russet potatoes, peeled, washed, dried, grated course, and squeezed dry in kitchen towel (about 1.5 loosely packed grated potatoes) 1/4 teaspoon salt ground black pepper 1 tablespoon butter Toss the dried potatoes with salt and pepper. Heat half the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it just starts to brown. Then scatter the potatoes over the bottom of the pan and press them to flatten. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until dark golden brown and crisp, 7 to 8 minutes. Invert the hash browns onto a plate, add the remaining butter to the pan. When the butter has melted slide the potatoes back onto the pan and continue to cook until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes longer.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
reststep

reststep
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 3:32 pm 
You are making me hungry here. chow.gif

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 3:47 pm 
When I worked in a restaurant, we boiled the potatoes until they were fork tender, then shredded and fried them. We shredded them with a fairly coarse grater. the strips were about a half inch wide. They were not gooey at all. They formed a nice crisp pancake with a well cooked center. Now I cook for myself and I don't boil them first anymore. I grate them much more finely and fry them in olive oil the way you described. If you cook them on a lower heat for a longer period of time, they will not get gooey. I also toss the shredded potato with salt and a spice mix like Mrs. Dash before frying. That usually turns out well.

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 4:40 pm 
Always make sure the pan is very hot and the oil is smoking a little before you put in the potatoes. The oil should be about a eighth of an inch deep or more. I think you are having problems because you do not have enough oil in the pan. I just squeeze all the water out of the potatoes with my bare hands. You do not need to dry the potatoes with anything. smile.gif

salish

salish
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 5:35 pm 
Wow, some great reciples, thanks. I'll try all of them at some point. Appreciate the help! Brian - doesn't your butter burn on a higher heat? I've been told to cut butter once with margarine in order to keep it from burning. Your method requires the most work, so I'll bet it's the best ML - know what you mean. I actually use Mantecca lard once in while with stuff like this. Gracias, Cliff

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 6:36 pm 
You need to put in the potatoes just before the butter starts to burn and you turn the heat down as soon as the potatoes are in the pan. One huge advantage to butter is that you get the browning and crisp potatoes without resorting to a ton of oil. And you'll end up with better potato flavor.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 8:32 pm 
marylou wrote:
They taste better if you cook them in bacon fat. devilsmile.gif
Anything tastes better cooked in bacon fat. hmmm.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 8:36 pm 
Secret of gormet cooking is lots o' butter, though bacon fat is fine for some things too, great if it not an every day sort of thing hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 8:45 pm 
Bacon fat has enough flavor to it that you don't necessarily have to use a lot of it.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 8:55 pm 
You can get non poisonous bacon at Whole Foods Market

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 9:11 pm 
Shaman wrote:
You can get non poisonous bacon at Whole Foods Market
Yeah, but it's union busting non poisonous bacon. PCC must have bacon that's not poisonous, and it's fully unionized bacon.