Forum Index > Food & Grub > food list for a 14-day trip
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gyngve

gyngve
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 1:44 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
Route: around Ross Lake, two Beaver trails, round Diablo - and climb Sourdough, Crater and Desolation. Camping wild and in campgrounds. Walk the entire way except for one little bit by boat.
Good for you for taking a 14-day trip. Any reason why you have that circuit in mind? My experience is that the Beaver trails are long, hot, and boring. My suggestion would be a series of shorter trips. In addition to traveling lighter, you could explore more areas. Trip 1: Sourdough Mountain to Elephant Butte. Depending on what you're in the mood for, you could potentially even go up Goodell and traveerse from the Mac Spires to Elephant Butte and out Sourdough. I'm not sure of the exact details around the Macs, as I haven't been there, but there are ways of finding out such information. Trip 2: Desolation Lookout Trip 3: Crater Mountain and Jerry Lakes

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm 
any reason for my circuit? only to get Ross Lake out of my system. Two weeks should do it. Or perhaps it would be the start of a life-long addiction, I don't know. I've been to the Ross Lake area about a half-dozen times, but mostly from the Canadian side - except for last year's canoe trip from the Resort to Big Beaver, up to Lightning Creek Camp (the next day we climbed Desolation) to Ruby Arm and back. This time, I would like to walk the trails near Ruby Arm, climb up Crater, do the Devils loop, climb the Dome, climb Desolation, then return back through East bank trail to the Resort (schedule a ride); then walk up Sourdough (from the trailhead at Cougar Island) then up and down the Beavers (with some bushwacking near Luna to get closer to the Pickets). The main trails done, I would either pack up and go home, or return the next summer with many more trip ideas. A walk from Chillwack Lake to Ross Lake is mighty tempting for a future trip.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 3:33 pm 
I love the idea of one long trip instead of several short ones. There are advantages either way, of course. Long trip: less time spent in the car, so more on the trail. Less time spent getting from trailheads to the the "good places" that you really came to see. More of a feeling of leaving civilization behind. More adventurous. More "Lewis and Clark"-ish. A better chance to really immerse one's self in a particular area and see all there is to see. Short trips in series: See more variety of areas. Carry less weight. Take a shower every few days. Safer, as you can check in with relatives/friends every few days. The ability to "cherry pick" the best places without going through less-good places in between. I think that most people get way more chances for short trips than for long ones. So the rarity factor tilts the scale towards the long trip for me.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 5:17 pm 
hikermike wrote:
This fasting concept should go no longer.....it is far too dangerous to persue. As a physician, I constantly have to deal with people with "magical thinking" and this is so typical of it. Taking little bits of information from here and there and putting them together out of context to support an idea you'd like to believe in.
That's great, doctor, Sir, thanks! Don't ask me what I think of you. I'll continue this shortly in the Saloon and expose your other obfuscations and farcical comments. You are taking little bits of information from here and there and putting them together out of context to support an idea you'd like to believe in. I prefer not to get health information from someone who failed to take care of their own health. If you experts on disease didn't spend so much time trying to put down experts on health then maybe the national health situation might not be such a disaster.

mgd

mgd
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 6:45 pm 
Yeah, so like is everyone taking their 14 day trip pretty quick? hihi.gif hihi.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 7:03 pm 
Pei Mei wrote:
That's great, doctor, Sir, thanks! Don't ask me what I think of you. I'll continue this shortly in the Saloon and expose your other obfuscations and farcical comments. You are taking little bits of information from here and there and putting them together out of context to support an idea you'd like to believe in. I prefer not to get health information from someone who failed to take care of their own health. If you experts on disease didn't spend so much time trying to put down experts on health then maybe the national health situation might not be such a disaster.
Because things like diabetes and heart disease run in families...something called "hereditary". I know-I get checked yearly for diabetes, and recently had a full heart checkup-at 33. If your parents or grandparents have things like this, you better be worried. Better to be hiking, and exercising, than worrying about more crackpot theories.....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 7:08 pm 
[pot calls kettle black] Can you guys take your flamefest outside? It's getting stuffy in here. I'm actually pretty interested in the thread as titled as I'm doing some writing about food for an upcoming article. Let's hear more about the food and less about....well I don't even know anymore. dizzy.gif [/pot calls kettle black]

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
GoBlueHiker
island hopper

GoBlueHiker
island hopper
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 7:40 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I love the idea of one long trip instead of several short ones. There are advantages either way, of course.
up.gif I'm with Slugman on that one, for many of the same reasons he listed. You can get away for quick little weekend jaunts all the time (any weekend, actually), but if you have two uninterrupted weeks to play around, I would personally dive in deep. It's an experience that few people ever seem to try (mostly for the "time-off" factor, but more than a few have tend to think I'm crazy for even trying it... their loss!). Of course, the logistics do get trickier, and the food heavier, so that's one drawback. But if you're anything like me, after two weeks away from automobiles, alarm clocks and FM radios, you'll notice distinct and undeniable changes in yourself. You'll feel calmer, more connected to life. Your senses will be sharper... you'll be more in-tune with your body. I always see much more wildlife after I've been out 4 or 5 consecutive days... I dunno if it's just that I've slowed down and notice more, or if something about me has changed that the wildlife notice, but it's definitely something. You'll notice the changing phases of the moon (how many folks can honestly say that?). You'll appreciate the sunrise as a perfect natural alarm clock... and not simply throwing you off your regular schedule for a couple days. Not to mention, you'll have a chance to roam where the dayhikers don't, and spend some quality time where typical weekend warriors rarely go. You'll get a chance to spend multiple uninterrupted days without seeing another soul (easy, in remote areas in the middle of the week). If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of extended trips. winksmile.gif Luckily, being a school-teacher, I get the chance to break away like that every summer. Sure, you could cut the trip down into a series of 2-3 day stints, but if you actually have 14 unbroken days to explore, I would highly suggest going for it all. It's an experience most folks never get to have, and you'll be able to brag about it for years to your jealous friends. wink.gif Who knows, you just might get hooked. But that's just my $.02... everyone does it differently. Until then, happy hiking! - Mike

GoBlueHiker
island hopper

GoBlueHiker
island hopper
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 7:45 pm 
mgd wrote:
Yeah, so like is everyone taking their 14 day trip pretty quick? hihi.gif hihi.gif
No, but my next 16-day one will be happening in a few months. Is that enough? tongue.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 7:52 pm 
Has anyone tried drying applesauce in their dehydrator?

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 7:56 pm 
I am considering buying a dehydrator - I look forward to answers to marylou's question

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 8:05 pm 
I've probably posted this before, but I did a piece on drying your own food for WT three years ago that might get you started in the right direction. dry it yourself

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 8:28 pm 
marylou wrote:
Yes, I have. Works well on the fruit rollup trays you can buy for the dehydrator. I dry all sorts of my own home-made sauces this way.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 8:32 pm 
marylou wrote:
Sure, it is about the easiest thing you can do, Spread evenly on saran wrap till leathery. Ezy. Coems back to life instantly with cold water.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 8:34 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
I am considering buying a dehydrator - I look forward to answers to marylou's question
Dehydrators are a lot of fun. I use mine quite often-out of sheer boredom and a great buy on organic carrots, I ran a huge bag thru my food processor then dried them in one day a couple weeks ago...I now have a years supply of shredded carrots. If you do get one, get one with a variable temp. Nesco makes good ones that are not too pricey.