Forum Index > Food & Grub > food list for a 14-day trip
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 8:58 pm 
Other thoughts for food on an extended trip: - Spaghetti sauce dries just like a fruit leather. It keeps almost indefinitely and rehydrates easily for meals. - Chicken sausage also dehydrates really well. Take it out of the casings, sautee it till it's done, rinse under hot water to get as much grease off as you can, spread paper towels on the dehydrator trays to absorb the rest of the grease, and dry it till it's the consistency of kitty litter. It doesn't look like much, but it's darned tasty. You can do the same thing with ground beef. I've tried using pork sausage, but I just can't get enough of the fat out of the pork and it goes rancid. - Ramen noodles make a good stand in for pasta to use with the above sauce and sausage. And the oil the noodles are fried in adds needed calories to your meal without adding anything. Home dehydrated meals take a bit more planning than freeze dried meals do. At home I package the sauce, chicken sausage (or ground beef), and whatever dehydrated veggies all together in a ziplock. On the trail, at lunch time I add some water to the baggie and pop it into a Pringles container (or lays - one of those round sturdy containers) so it can rehydrate for a couple of hours. In camp I bring my water to boil, add the now rehydrated sauce and goodies, add a package of ramen noodles (ditch the seasoning packet), and let it all boil for a couple of minutes. There you have it, backcountry homemade spaghetti. Instant black beans are tasty, healthy, and filling. They rehydrate cold just fine - spread them on tortillas with some cheese and a packet of taco sauce. up.gif In the heavy but worth it category is the tuna in pouches. Every flavor I've tried has been really good. Hard cheese travels well. Stick a chunk of parmesan in your pack and enjoy.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GoBlueHiker
island hopper

GoBlueHiker
island hopper
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 9:48 pm 
jenjen wrote:
- Chicken sausage also dehydrates really well. Take it out of the casings, sautee it till it's done, rinse under hot water to get as much grease off as you can, spread paper towels on the dehydrator trays to absorb the rest of the grease, and dry it till it's the consistency of kitty litter. It doesn't look like much, but it's darned tasty. You can do the same thing with ground beef. I've tried using pork sausage, but I just can't get enough of the fat out of the pork and it goes rancid.
Do you really have to get all the fat out (or else it gets rancid)? Dang! If it's still possible to dehydrate it well while keeping the fat, I'd leave it in (I really don't know how possible it is... it's a genuine question). Those are grade-A calories! smile.gif As for the previous question about applesauce, yes, it certainly is dehydratable (new word, everyone! lol.gif). My mother used to do it all the time for snacks when we were kids. It creates exactly the same stuff as the "fruit-leather" you see individually wrapped on your supermarket shelves, and doesn't cost you $.59 per three-square-inches. hmmm.gif It is sticky, but if you simply take your "sheets" of dried sauce and cover 'em with a layer of Saran Wrap, you're good to go!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 9:52 pm 
GoBlueHiker wrote:
Do you really have to get all the fat out (or else it gets rancid)? Dang! If it's still possible to dehydrate it well while keeping the fat, I'd leave it in (I really don't know how possible it is... it's a genuine question). Those are grade-A calories! smile.gif
Mike, you don't have to remove all the fat..but, and a big but here!, if you do that, be sure to freeze the meat after drying, and keep it in the freezer till time for your trip.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
GoBlueHiker
island hopper

GoBlueHiker
island hopper
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 9:53 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Mike, you don't have to remove all the fat..but, and a big but here!, if you do that, be sure to freeze the meat after drying, and keep it in the freezer till time for your trip.
Would it still keep for an extended time (say, 13½ days) in an unrefrigerated pack?

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 9:55 pm 
Jenjen, what I have found is that using a cozy with home dried meals simplifies it. All I do is add boiling water to my meals at dinner time, put in my cozy for a good 10-15 minutes and then it is ready. No cooking, no pans smile.gif Better than ramen is Chuka Soba noodles-better tasting and they cook like ramen (which means they will "cook" just by having boiling water put on them and letting sit for a couple minutes in a cozy.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 9:57 pm 
GoBlueHiker wrote:
sarbar wrote:
Would it still keep for an extended time (say, 13½ days) in an unrefrigerated pack?
In dead summer I wouldn't risk it. If I was carrying dried meat with fat, I'd not do it longer than a couple days. Hamburger gravel though is pretty decent (rinsed well, little fat). I eat it quite a bit due to it's weight and how fast it comes back to life with boiling water added. You have a dehydrator yet Mike? If you don't let me know...I don't mind drying you stuff!

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 9:58 pm 
marylou wrote:
Can you guys take your flamefest outside?
Yah, OK, flame off. I'll take the fasting while hiking thing to the Saloon. It was interesting hearing about dehydrating sauces, I never tried that. I tried dehydrating blueberries and it didn't work. I guess you have to break the skins by blanching them first, but isn't blanching like cooking? I don't want to cook the blueberries. 'Just Blueberries' does it somehow but they are too expensive. If anyone knows please advise on dehydrating blueberries.

GoBlueHiker
island hopper

GoBlueHiker
island hopper
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 10:02 pm 
jenjen wrote:
In the heavy but worth it category is the tuna in pouches. Every flavor I've tried has been really good.
I used to take those regularly too, until I started realizing the mercury content in tuna. My dad recently came down with a bad case of mercury-poisoning. He ate a can of tuna every day for lunch for over 20 years, thinking he was being healthy, and now he has irreversible nerve damage that partially impairs his memory and balance. frown.gif Anymore, I don't touch the stuff. It's too bad. Sorry... didn't mean to rain on your parade. (Really.)

GoBlueHiker
island hopper

GoBlueHiker
island hopper
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 10:08 pm 
sarbar wrote:
You have a dehydrator yet Mike? If you don't let me know...I don't mind drying you stuff!
No... not yet. It's a long-overdue purchase! However, at this point I don't see myself getting one soon... with the baby at home, we have more than enough crap around here already... I don't know if I have room for another large countertop item! Thanks for the offer though, Sarah! I just might take you up on that sometime. smile.gif

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 10:08 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Because things like diabetes and heart disease run in families...something called "hereditary". I know-I get checked yearly for diabetes, and recently had a full heart checkup-at 33. If your parents or grandparents have things like this, you better be worried.
Yes I know about heredity and I do some heavy duty prevention for some things that run in my family. Edit: I checked and type 2 diabetes does have a hereditary component.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 10:13 pm 
GoBlueHiker wrote:
jenjen wrote:
In the heavy but worth it category is the tuna in pouches. Every flavor I've tried has been really good.
I used to take those regularly too, until I started realizing the mercury content in tuna. My dad recently came down with a bad case of mercury-poisoning. He ate a can of tuna every day for lunch for over 20 years, thinking he was being healthy, and now he has irreversible nerve damage that partially impairs his memory and balance. frown.gif Anymore, I don't touch the stuff. It's too bad. Sorry... didn't mean to rain on your parade. (Really.)
I'm sorry about your dad. EDTA chelation is proven and even certified by the FDA for removal of toxic metals. It might help. I suggest that instead of taking the tuna in the pouches get the salmon in the pouches insead, which is what I take. Hopefully it is wild Alaska salmon instead of farmed atlantic salmon but I can't recall which. Anyway, either salmon has quite a bit less mercury than tuna but wild Alaskan is very low in mercury and it has all the good oils.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 10:19 pm 
Most of Just Tomatoes line is freezedried rather than dried. Somewhere I have a list the nice customer service lady sent me, of what is dried and what is FD smile.gif The salmon in pouches is usually wild salmon..but, is processed in Thailand many times. So be careful. Seawallrunner asked me a bit ago what I was using for a cozy-since not everybody knows what a cozy is. I use this one currently: http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=3_13&products_id=72 AGG also makes cozies for about every pan or pot out there-and he does custom jobs also. Worth looking at if you haven't used a cozy before-cozies save a lot of fuel!

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 10:40 pm 
I just did a google search on dehydrating blueberries and it said they could dehydrate whole ones in eleven hours but when I did it it took many days and still didn't work that well. They are evidently using way too much heat, which is not good because anything over 105 degrees starts destroying important enzymes. Keep it below 105 (for any fruit) and they really are 100% as good as fresh. They suggested cutting the blueberries in half to lessen the drying time so that is probably the only solution for low temp. dehyration; cutting in half, slicing, or slightly crushing somehow in order to break them open.......... Except for freeze drying, but that probably takes some special equipment?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 10:47 pm 
For best results in dehydrating, I strongly recommend rinsing (whether chicken sausage or GB) to eliminate as much fat as possible. Stuff just doesn't dry right or rehydrate right unless you do this. If you want to add fat back in (I do) then just bring olive oil, or whatever fat you like, conditions permitting, to your meal. I prefer olive oil in the summer as it does not go off as easily as some of the other tasty fats. I'm never out for more than 5 days though, so YMMV. I'm betting bacon grease would hold up well too, it holds in the freezer for 2-3 years, so it might tolerate the vagaries of warm weather and poor handling.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 10:53 pm 
I've read about the cozies, but I haven't made and used one yet. I have an old z-rest laying around, I'm gonna have to give that a try. GoBlue, the pork sausage I did went rancid on day 3. frown.gif I had thought it would be great for flavor and needed calories, but it just didn't work out. If I get rid of as much fat as humanly possible, the meat lasts at room temperature and in a pack for over a year. I'm actually having the same sticking point with making my own jerky - I want to leave some of the fat on for flavor, but then it just doesn't last. On berries - thickly sliced strawberries work well, but I haven't had any luck with other berries. They're ok if you re-hydrate them in water as a sauce, but really they taste better if you make the sauce and then dehydrate that. (I hope that made sense) The "Just Blueberries" are freeze dried if I recall correctly - I haven't figured out how to do that at home. I guess I've known about the mercury content in tuna but hadn't thought it out to the pouched tuna. Dang! I'll have to try the salmon. I know I've seen chicken done in the same sort of pouches, but it didn't look cooked quite through so I added it to the cook pot for a couple of minutes. Ground beef is so easy to dry it wouldn't make sense to carry it pouched. Does ham come in pouches yet? That could make for a good meal. Other stuff you can find dehydrated is hash browns. They carry dehydrated hash browns at Costco here in B'ham. Very handy to add to soup mix and dehydrated beef for a sort of stew. Or for anywhere else you'd use potatoes. The Idahoan instant potatoes are really good. Dayhike Mike introduced me to the different mixes - really tasty, filling stuff. I already mentioned tucking a few fresh veggies into your pack for treats. Dehydrated and freeze dried stuff will only get you so far before you really, really want to crunch into something fresh and real. Oh! Couscous rehydrates well in cold water and makes a good starchy meal when mixed with some dried veggie soup mix. Get very creative with dried veggie soup mix - Knorr makes a good one but there are lots of different brands. I doctor up the soup mix and use it as a base for stews, couscous, instant rice dishes, to mix into instant potatoes........ It's actually pretty versatile.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic