Forum Index > Food & Grub > Backpacking dinner ideas????
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun May 21, 2006 7:54 pm 
What types of things do you all usually take with for dinner when backpacking? I'm new to this and I really want to bring the turkey dinner with all the trimmings but......... I saw a good breakfast idea of oatmeal, malt o meal type things.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun May 21, 2006 8:47 pm 
Also discussed previously... Here are a couple threads where we discussed different types of freezedried foods: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3444 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5880 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10376 Here's one where sarbar's talking about her website and cookbook: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8015&highlight=meal The search feature is your friend. Google is as well. I use both on a regular basis to avoid buggin' my friends with the same topics again and again. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSun May 21, 2006 11:28 pm 
I'm new, I wasn't around for those other discussions, so I'll tell you my answer: Mary Jane's Farm. They happen to be all vegetarian and organic. I care about neither, but I buy them because they are DELICIOUS. The food just doesn't even compare to the other brands I've tasted. REI sells them.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun May 21, 2006 11:44 pm 
I'll have to check into the Mary Jane's Farm...didn't realize she was a farmer. smile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun May 21, 2006 11:54 pm 
Kat wrote:
One excellent idea I borrowed from this web site is the idea of packing in frozen meat for an overnighter.
I like that idea...works well for the first night at least. We used to go overboard on the first night, packing in T-bone steaks, a gallon of chocolate milk, 2 liter bottle of root beer, etc.
Kat wrote:
And for those folks having a sweet tooth, something for desert - usually a candy bar suffices for my pardner, altho I've been known to haul something much more sinful along biggrin.gif
Ahhh, c'mon...gotta be more specific than that! devilsmile.gif Cheesecake? Pie? Fresh strawberries and chocolate fondue? Extreme behavior deserves details.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSun May 21, 2006 11:56 pm 
Oh my lord, the weight! Ahhh! My back and feet hurt from just reading those posts.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun May 21, 2006 11:59 pm 
<grin> the idea is that we'd go in Friday night, expecting to start late and only hoof the heavy meal up the trail 2-3 miles tops. We'd eat like kings the first night and then have more meager meals the subsequent days. These days, the freeze dried stuff really does well, though, IMHO.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon May 22, 2006 12:04 am 
Kat wrote:
And for those folks having a sweet tooth, something for desert - usually a candy bar suffices for my pardner, altho I've been known to haul something much more sinful along biggrin.gif
SPILL IT. chow.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon May 22, 2006 10:17 am 
When you're outdoors, things you would scoff at in town don't taste the same; you may like them. Don't judge backcountry pre-packaged food or receipes solely by your experience with it in town (unless it's liver - chances are if you hate it in town, you'll hate it outdoors). Pre-packages stuff has ingredients for strenuous activity and replaces vitamins lost - you wouldn't eat that stuff at home, and wouldn't expect it to taste as good at home. Same with receipes in books created specifically for the outdoors. (Note: the exception is the Phad Thai that Putz-in-Boots speaks of. That's good anywhere you make it up.gif ) For instance, I love eggs, but I hate the taste of eggs outdoors. I eat Lipton Noodle mixes outdoors, but wouldn't dream of eating that stuff at home. Sure you can experiment with cooking them at home and identifying things you'd like to improvise, but when you're in the back country you crave different things than you do at home. And you eat more, too - don't underpack. If you think you have enough food, toss about 1/2 that much more in. It's trial and error for the most part. I started experimenting with instant rice, dehydrated vegetables, gravy mixes, etc.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostMon May 22, 2006 10:27 am 
I really like the Idahoan mashed potatoes. I also like Couscous and it's really easy and quick to make. Both just require boiling water and nothing else.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostMon May 22, 2006 10:30 am 
On trips when weight is not an issue and fires are legal (like an Olympic Coast hike) I like to buy a couple of pounds of stew beef (cut into cubes) and I put them in a Nalgene bottle with Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce and marinate them while I hike. In another bottle, I put pre-chopped veggies and have kebobs cooked over a fire...add some couscous and it's an outstanding meal.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon May 22, 2006 4:39 pm 
I have two sites: http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/ http://www.freewebs.com/healthytrailfood/ The second is my site for low sodium, vegetarian and vegan cooking styles smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon May 22, 2006 4:54 pm 
Take food that looks and tastes good. On short or easy trips, you can aften afford to spoil yourself with real food ie...beach trips where you can grill steaks, roast cornish hens, and bake potatoes and onions in/over driftwood fires. On longer and harder trips where food weight and bulk become a concern, I go with Lipton Sidekicks dishes augmented with rehydrated meats and veggies. Two other favs...Idahoan Mash is great with beef stew and Stovetop stuffing mix with some flaked chicken and veg is also good.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostMon May 22, 2006 8:39 pm 
Yes...the idahoan spuds are the ill money. Most dehydrated spuds are bland as all hell and need additional spice (weight). These are delicious alone, come in like 6 styles, and are only like a buck a piece. I typically dont finish the whole packet in a meal...theres usually a good next day snack left over. The lipton noodle packs are rad too. If you carry spices...a good dinner I bust out with nebiw hikers is friing refular top ramen noodles with brownsugar, soysauce and spices. Add cashews and tuna, voila....oriental yakisoba protein blast in the middle of the alpine. Wahoo for pasta.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon May 22, 2006 8:46 pm 
Ditto the Idahoan suggestion. Mix in bacon bits for an extra tasty treat. Nice thing is that you can easily make as little or as much as you want, depending on exertion. Never any waste.