Previous :: Next Topic

PostWed Jun 21, 2006 6:57 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 7:04 pm 
Bananas? Try a big can of Costco tidbit or chunks Pineapple. More sugar and tast better IMO.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 8:18 pm 
I tried pineapple tidbits the other night; threw 'em on the unit at 9 PM, checked at 1 AM, other fruits were done, but not pineapple. Left it on til I left for work at 7:20 (because I sure as hell didn't want to miss seeing the spectacular sight of the bus pulling away from the bus stop when I was a block away), but most tidbits were still soggy, and others looked like dried up yellow bellied sapsucker babies. They started out as frozen bits, though. I mean the pineapples, not the sapsucker babies. Would that make a difference, if they were frozen (again, I'm talking about the pineapple)?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
scalpel

scalpel
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 8:28 pm 
This foodTV show called 'food jammers' dehydrates an entire thanksgiving turkey dinner to take on a canoe trip. If you have bittorrent http://www2.digitaldistractions.org:8080/torrents/Food%20Jammers%20-%20S01E02%20-%20Dehydrated%20Turkey.torrent

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 8:39 pm 
few things from personal experience mushrooms- slice and dry great for omelets, soups and entrees. onions - use yellows not sweets and do outside spagetti sauce - dry into leather and reconstitute in boiling water green and red peppers - slice and dry venison - if ya got it not really worthwhile to make own jerky otherwise apples - slice thick add sulphite shakehead.gif if brown bothers you strawberries - ok but not great

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 9:16 pm 
Get yourself some really ripe mangos. Slice them thick and toss them in the dehydrator. They come out like candy. I like my bananas sliced lengthwise into 1/4ths and dried into sticks. Weird looking, but I like the texture better than if they're sliced crosswise into coins.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Canuck

Canuck
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 9:28 pm 
I know you're not looking for dinner ideas, but I love to dehydrate a can of chili - Nalleys, Stagg, whatever you prefer - then throw that in a zip lock with minute rice, and voila. Red beans & rice, sort of. It's surprisingly tasty in the woods. For fruits I love to make dried cherries, although by the time I've sliced them in half and pitted them it looks like I murdered someone in the kitchen. eek.gif But, they're fabulous. I've also dried apricots before and man do they take a long time but they're so much better than the stuff you buy in the grocery store.

treasureblue
Distant Cousin

treasureblue
Distant Cousin
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 9:34 pm 
I've done a couple hikes with a Mountaineers leader who dehydrates chocolate pudding. She also takes a Costco Apple pie, adds enough water to blend it in the blender and voila' - dehydrated pie! biggrin.gif

"Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow." ~Henry David Thoreau.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 9:43 pm 
MC, I dehyrdrate strawberries and have good luck with them. You gotta put them on the screeny/meshy tray, rather that the grate, cause they stick to the grate. Sprinkle some ginger on pears, cinnamon on apples. Thinly sliced oranges (leave peel on) are excellent, too! up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 9:52 pm 
Try dehydrating water. That would reduce its pack weight.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Canuck

Canuck
PostSun Jul 16, 2006 7:29 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
apples - slice thick add sulphite shakehead.gif if brown bothers you
I have a bowl of lemon juice & water when I dry apples, and do a quick soak of bananas, apples, and pears in the lemon & water mixture then dry them. Gives them a bit of a tang, and stops them from turning brown. I've also dried cherries, but they're quite messy. I cut them in half to take the pit out, and when I'm done everything is stained red. But, it's worth the effort. They're really good dried. haven't tried rainier cherries, that would eliminate the stains, I suppose.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jul 16, 2006 7:36 pm 
treasureblue wrote:
I've done a couple hikes with a Mountaineers leader who dehydrates chocolate pudding.
That seems like an awful lot of work since you can buy instant pudding. I like the pie idea though. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 4:21 pm 
Not sweet (unless you make it with apple juice and cinnamon), but flax crackers are FABULOUS for sustained energy on the trail - a good source of fat and protein. Soak flax seeds for 4-6 hours in water (or apple juice) - adding a little at a time to make a very thick "goop", then spread onto a saran-wrapped (or teflexed) dehydrator tray in 1/8" or 1/4" layers. Dry for ~6-8 hours on one side, then flip and dry another ~4 hours on the other. (~120F)

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 4:26 pm 
NukeEgg: can sesame seeds be added to the mixture? I just put seeds & juice in? No other stuff? I assume I buy this at a place like the bulk foods area at say Natures Pantry, or the QFC in Walllingford.....?

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 10:28 pm 
Sesame seeds would be good - and that's definitely the right way to go with this sorta thing... play! :-) Other seeds would be good (I know someone who would put pumpkin seeds in). I like making a spicy version with fajita seasoning and a little chili powder. :-P Other juices would be fine, I think, but I don't know what other juices the flavor of flax seeds would go well with... Tomato, maybe, especially if you add some well diced onion and carrot and bell pepper. Mmm... A meal on it's own! I don't know about the QFC in Wallingford (never been to Wallingford :-) ), and chances are that it won't be in the bulk section, but it's worth checking. A health food store is almost guaranteed to have it, but the regular grocery stores up here often have it as well (many times in the baking section, or in the 'health food' section, particularly if there's a refrigerated health food section, as flax seed is best kept in the fridge or freezer).