-lol-
PostFri Jan 17, 2003 8:16 am 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jan 17, 2003 11:58 am 
Compared to LE, Photoshop Elements is a less stripped down version of Photoshop. Beginners tend to favor the Elements interface, but I like the LE interface because it's more like the full version of Photoshop. I believe Elements is missing the curves feature that you get with LE but other than that it has a lot going for it. I think it's designed to compete against the likes of Paint Shop Pro. If LE didn't come with your camera, then Elements would be a logical choice if you want "Photoshop". Similar to LE, it won't run custom Photoshop actions (one of the key reasons I was willing to pony up for the full version of Photoshop) but 99% of users will be just fine with Elements. For $50, Elements looks to be a better value than Paint Shop Pro, but I have not used the two products enough to offer insights on how they compare.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jan 17, 2003 12:56 pm 
My buddy Dave was an art director for years and is as a result literate to expert on Photoshop and Pagemeaker, and he swears by Elements. up.gif I'll probably break down and buy it too as Photoshop regular makes my head hurt. dizzy.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostFri Jan 17, 2003 2:32 pm 
For thumbnails and image management, I strongly recommend Thumbs Plus, from Cerious Software. Outstanding features for viewing, organizing and processing images. It comes with a basic editor as well. You can even thumnail images on CDs to catalog them. It's well worth a close look.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 8:24 pm 
Tom???
Is this a good deal on the G3 for those still wainting for the price to drop? I'm sure Davenport's Consulting Service may do better but dang, that seems looooow. G3 NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 8:58 pm 
buydig isn't bad. I purchased my first camera from them. Don't be surprised if they call and give the hard sell to buy overpriced accessories, but they will honor the advertised price if you don't bite. Shipping is $25 and there is a 10% restocking fee on returns. Not a bad place to buy if you want a rock bottom price and are willing to risk the return policy.

Larry

Larry
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 9:34 pm 
A fine, comprehensive photography site, well worth your perusal. Lots of digital stuff, and lots of "regular" stuff. Michael Reichmann, the site owner, is a fabulous photographer, and does a LOT of research. Highly recommended: www.luminous-landscape.com

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 10:29 am 
Beach Camera had the G3 for $543, no tax, $24.95 shipping, and 10% restock. Only save a dollar, but the restock fee might be a little less if worse comes to worst. But PassBuy has it for $515. No tax outside of NY. FedEx ground is $21.50 to me in Tacoma. Restocking fee is 10-15% depending on condition of the item. Gotta love PriceWatch... Michael

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 11:38 am 
One problem with pricewatch is they don't have merchant ratings. Judging from passbuy's price and location, they look to be yet another brooklyn bait and stuff scam artist. In other words, the camera will be grey market, won't be in stock unless you buy overpriced accessories, etc. What, you wanted a manual, lens cap, battery, and power cord? lol.gif Here is a good article on the subject. Beach camera and buydig are the same company from what I understand. My experience has been that if you see a merchant, particularly one located in brooklyn, selling for much less than buydig they are probably not legit.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 12:39 pm 
Tom: Wow! Great article...quite an eye opener. I've had very few bad experiences with retailers in the past, but I'll be a little more wary in the future.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short