Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wolves - we saw one off of the Illabot Creek road
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 9:12 am 
Mike C. and I saw a wolf - at least we are pretty darned sure it was a wolf. It was definitely NOT a fox. It was way too big to be a fox. Was a little bigger than the wolves I have seen at Wolf Haven. Anyway we saw it here off the Illabot Creek Road at 6:20p.m. on Saturday July 8th.: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5365357&e=607441&size=m&datum=nad83 Are we supposed to report these type of sightings? And if so, to who?

Art is an adventure.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
greg

greg
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 9:20 am 
Stefan, this link provides a contact number for North Cascades NP biologists working on wolf recovery: http://www.nps.gov/noca/wolf.htm. You might also call the Wash. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, 425-774-8812.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 10:50 am 
I'm pretty sure we saw a wolf on Black Mountain in northern Whatcom County. Sure looked like a wolf. Of course we didn't get a picture; he saw us at the same time and was gone in about 3 seconds.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 11:09 am 
Saw one many years ago just on the East side of Snoqualmie Pass late at night. Ran right in front of my truck. A big one it was. Also while doing the PCT in the Payasten Wilderness about 10 mi North of Harts Pass almost every night there was a howling party across the valley from our camp. What a sound that was!!!!! paranoid.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
mike

mike
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 11:26 am 
There is (at least was) a pack in the Hozemeen area. Maybe that's the one you heard.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 12:11 pm 
greg wrote:
Stefan, this link provides a contact number for North Cascades NP biologists working on wolf recovery: http://www.nps.gov/noca/wolf.htm. You might also call the Wash. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, 425-774-8812.
So I called them. At this number. You know what they told me? "You probably saw a 1/2 dog 1/2 wolf breed. That is what is always reported. People let these types of animals go free after they breed them and find them too difficult to live with." Now if what the person said is true, then the Washing Dept of Fish and Wildlife will never ever see a reported wolf sighting.

Art is an adventure.
greg

greg
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 12:22 pm 
PM'd you Stefan with a contact who will take you seriously -- I hope. Greg

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 1:18 pm 
Stefan wrote:
greg wrote:
So I called them. At this number. You know what they told me? "You probably saw a 1/2 dog 1/2 wolf breed. That is what is always reported. People let these types of animals go free after they breed them and find them too difficult to live with." Now if what the person said is true, then the Washing Dept of Fish and Wildlife will never ever see a reported wolf sighting.
That's what frankm3 and I saw near oroville a couple years ago. It was wolf-like, but not quite & we couldn't figure it out. he called the ranger station to report it. The guy there was very interested and asked all kinds of questions including "was the tail of the animal held straight, or was it drooping?" The guy determined that what we saw was a 1/2 & 1/2, which are spotted regularly, but they definately like to hear about them, and the exact location so they can determine location of a full breed, if any. The guy frank spoke to was freindly and interested.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 1:30 pm 
The tail was definitely drooping and went down quite a ways. The tail was kinda bushy though. The fur was kinda rag tag like. But the color of the fur was not gray.

Art is an adventure.
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 1:35 pm 
Stefan! You just described me after 8 days without a shower! eek.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 1:46 pm 
lol.gif

silvi

silvi
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 1:50 pm 
wof sighting
I saw one in Bear Valley, Idaho a few weeks ago. It was a dark sable color, with the big fluffy tail held out behind it, as it was running. It too was shedding it's winter coat so looked somewhat scruffy. I think the snow had just melted a couple weeks before that. I know it isnt the same in Idaho as in Washington, but in Idaho, the Indian Nations want to know about sightings, as well as the fish and wildlife. I didnt report the sighting, because the wolf pack in Bear Valley is well-known. Besides, I figure that the more people who report sightings, the sooner the wolves are removed from the endangered species list. I'd also prefer not to see an open season for hunting them if the numbers get to a "sustainable" point. I know it isnt very objective, but I have a very special place in my soul for wolves. All the folks in Alaska would probably disagree with me. I had a conversation with the federal trapper here, a while back and he said he has seen wolves in the cascades here in oregon, but he too didnt report it. First of all, no one would believe it, and secondly, he knows how people get all riled up about predators.

When humans manipulate the data to fit the situation, it is called "theory." When wolves manipulate the data to fit the situation, it is called "dinner." You can't eat theory. Therefore, wolves are smarter than humans.
Bushcraft

Bushcraft
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 4:33 pm 
Wolves are not de-listed due to people reporting sightings to state or federal officials! If you doubt this, ask any number of people living in Idaho who have had non-native, non-endangered wolves foisted on them and in turn have lost livestock and family pets! I for one am sick of the senseless romanticism surrounding wolves. Yes, they are neat animals but the sooner this completely fraudulent "endangered species" is removed from the list (via real science and common sense), the better!

Modern Liberalism is the Philosophy of Western Suicide.
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 4:38 pm 
Stefan, I feel your frustration regarding what sounds like a 'blow-off' from the biologist. I had a similar experience about 4 years ago when I was driving at night to visit my parents in Bothell. I was just about to their house when I saw something in the road that was neither doglike nor (domestic) catlike...at least what I was used to....anyways, as I came up upon it in my headlights, I realized it was a big cat...like bobcat or lynx size, only with totally different spotting and a loooong neck with long, pointy ears, and much shorter fur. I got home, got online and found what I was sure was the correct thing - an African serval. Next morning I called the WDFW office in Mill Creek and spoke with the wildlife biologist there. She basically dismissed everything that I said and told me about their policy not to remove native animals in their native range. Ahem, did you not hear anything I just said? I told her that I had two degrees in biology and that I grew up in Washington and that this was definitely not a native cat. She just carried on about reported bobcat sightings in my area. I got off the phone feeling totally disenchanted about the agency that I worked for at the time! Where do they find these self-rightous, misinformed people? About a month later, I heard on the news that animal control or WDFW trapped two hungry servals in Shoreline that had been eating housecats....had to have been the same that I saw. Regrettably, I never called her back to say 'told you so'. It sounds like you should call back and talk to the biologist that Quark interacted with. I think you and I talked to the same one....the useless one.

silvi

silvi
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 5:42 pm 
wolves
Bushcraft; hence my remark about how people get riled up about predators. I respect your right to have your own opinion about wolves, and to air your opinion. Otherwise, how could I argue with You? LOL! My concern stems not from people who are protecting their livestock or pets from predatory animals, (I too, would kill to save my dog. Heck, there's even a couple people I might consider saving from predators) but from people of the caliber who hunt wolves from planes in alaska, and the other "trophy" hunters and just plain male idiots who will kill anything that moves, from a squirrel to an elephant, just for the sake of killing something. (Yeah, I know, I just opened up a can of worms with that one, but I'm feeling feisty. Hit me with your best shot...) As to critters being de-listed, I realize it wouldn't happen from my one measly report. However, once a species is documented to have "enough" numbers to sustain the continuation of that species, they are then considered for de-listing. I am not an animal rights activist, and I don't support ending hunting. I just believe that you should only kill what you will eat, (except insects, mice, rats, humans, and other vermin) and I have no intention of eating wolf meat. Besides, if the wolves don't breed and spread out from Idaho, how are we ever going to get enough to control the human population? Think Ecosystem!

When humans manipulate the data to fit the situation, it is called "theory." When wolves manipulate the data to fit the situation, it is called "dinner." You can't eat theory. Therefore, wolves are smarter than humans.