Forum Index > Food & Grub > The BEST intant coffee.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
enkindler

enkindler
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 11:27 pm 
Just in case you can't stand any of the instant um "coffee" here is my pat. pending super backpacking coffee maker. Get a Ziploc plastic sandwich sized freezer bag and a #2 coffee filter. Place the filter in the Ziploc bag so that the bottom of the filter is in one corner. Cut about 1/8" of an inch off that corner of the bag. Pull the edge of the bag over it's self kind of like your folding a sock and set it over a Titanium coffee cup smile.gif Put in the desired amount of coffee and SLOWLY pour in boiling water (it helps if you have 2 or three going at once) Do not go to fast or you will either spill or pour boiling water on your self. Congratulations you have real coffee that practically weighs nothing and takes the tiniest amount of space and it costs next to nothing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 12:00 am 
oh what we will do to get our coffee! lol.gif good inevention enkindler.

Curt

Curt
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 6:25 am 
I've tried just about everything mentioned so far. For pure taste and simplicity, the Java Juice and the Hagans freeze dried are the most authentic to a good cup of coffee. Both are organic, which is more important in coffee than about any other product. Both are ridiculously expensive for the quantity, though. The Hagans is my preferred because it's cheaper, less little packets floating around, and nearly weightless. Tastes different than my morning pressed Tony's for sure, but I like it. If I drink it at home it still tastes good - a good test of any coffee. It will taste even better in the woods. The extract is cool because it's so unique. Not sure how they do it, but one little packet makes a relative strong cup. Now, if they can come up with red wine concentrate of equal quality, I'll be a customer for life.....
Hiker Boy wrote:
Exactly or this one Java Juice I am curious to know if anyone has tried either or a similar product.

Mongo

Mongo
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 11:58 am 
Having tried many standard instant coffees in my past, I like Yuban the best.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 6:06 pm 
OK guys, help me here. How is a 3x2"cotton tea bag (or smaller) filled with two heaping teaspoons of REAL ground coffee (Tony's organic coop blend Bin #3704 is my favorite) too heavy or too time intensive? I boil the water on my Snow Peak stove, mush the bag down with my spork into my ti cup, put on the lid and contemplate the view for a bit. I add sugar & powdered milk or creamer, and sip away. I leave the "coffee bag" in there while I'm drinking. Just my way. I always have two cups this way up.gif

Luc

Luc
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 6:13 pm 
for me, making coffee the real way isn't worth it because of the spillage, meltage, having to tend it, possibly wasting fuel, and especially if you are in bad weather, packing out the trash etc. the biggest one of those is spilling scalding water on myself, happens about 1 in 5 times, i think i may have a drinking problem lol.gif

GNGSTR
David

David
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 6:59 pm 
I am a tea drinker (former coffee whore), so take this w/ a grain of salt. US made instant coffee sucks because it's over-extracted (too little coffe vs. water, and too much extraction time). The Germans have very good instant coffee, as do (I'm told) the Japanese. I've had Cafe Haag (German), and found it quite good. It's freeze dried, which is going to be the best option. You could make good freeze dried coffee with your favorite brew if you had the equipment to do it. cafe haag, or anything German.

Curt

Curt
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 7:14 pm 
This is exactly what I do for nearly every trip. Luc asked about instant, so that's what I was offering. Tony's is good stuff - I can't actually remember my bin number, though - you have yourself quite an addiction there smile.gif It is nice to not have the garbage, however. Instant is great for that. The real question for me is how to replicate a tad of half and half on the trail. I just can't seem to get it right without carrying the real thing and it ends up all over the place no matter how I carry it. I guess I need to put a little more thought into it....
Kat wrote:
OK guys, help me here. How is a 3x2"cotton tea bag (or smaller) filled with two heaping teaspoons of REAL ground coffee (Tony's organic coop blend Bin #3704 is my favorite) too heavy or too time intensive? I boil the water on my Snow Peak stove, mush the bag down with my spork into my ti cup, put on the lid and contemplate the view for a bit. I add sugar & powdered milk or creamer, and sip away. I leave the "coffee bag" in there while I'm drinking. Just my way. I always have two cups this way up.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 7:18 pm 
If you need half and half...get the the little one use tubs of liquid creamer. Some are shelf stable even (look in the coffee aisle), and some are even the real stuff. Worth the weight IMO.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 10:40 pm 
Not exactly instant but........I fresh grind at home and put in vacuum packages. On the trail, I put some fresh ground into a metal filter that fits in my cup and pour hot water through it. I let it set in my cup for awhile before casting the grounds on the the grounds. Instant enough for me and very lightweight.

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 9:45 am 
Curt wrote:
Tony's is good stuff - I can't actually remember my bin number, though - you have yourself quite an addiction there smile.gif
Well I guess you have a point there! lol.gif And someone mentioned the Cafe Haag (german) freeze dried - I think that may be the one I bought for my brother that he said was good. Upon reflection, I can certainly see how, on a multi-day trip instant would be more practical. And for LucB. - I boil the water in the same cup I throw the "coffee bag" in to drink out of, so not much risk of spilling burning water on myself clown.gif

Dante

Dante
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 10:57 am 
I just keep Vivarin in my first aid kit in case I get a (no)coffee headache and drink water. That way I don't have to carry a cup - I just drink from my hydration system. When my wife comes, I bring one of those small drip systems you put a filter full of grounds in. I got it at a grocery store. It weighs all of two or three ounces and fits in my MSR Ti Kettle.

tennessee treader

tennessee treader
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 10:29 am 
inna 3-in-one coffee is exceptionally good (try this link): http://stores.buyitsellit.com/StoreFront/view?store=3591&view=product&id=25820

baseball and hiking ... that's life!
Rob Jordan

Rob Jordan
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 2:43 pm 
Good God, Taster's Choice was the best? What did the poor people who had to taste the worst one drink?

l

l
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 8:01 pm 
Dante wrote:
When my wife comes, I bring one of those small drip systems
We're talking about freeze dried cof... oh nevermind.