Forum Index > Food & Grub > Freeze Dried Food: Seafood Chowder
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
David

David
PostSun Jul 30, 2006 8:48 pm 
Not really important, but got to say that the Mountain House Seafood Chowder is actually really good. It's the best Freeze Dried food I've ever had - and I'm from the NE, so I know chowda. eat, eat, eat.... David

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MountaingirlBC

MountaingirlBC
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 2:53 am 
Mountain House generally makes the best freeze dried meals... by a long shot... in my experience. I like the pasta primavera with one of those foil packs of tuna. The lasagna is really good too.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 6:51 am 
Another up.gif up.gif for their lasagne. Really really good. I like the Polynesian Chicken too. The chunks of pineapple are really decent. And I remember having one on our Ssabmud trip with Adi and JenJen called Chicken Breasts with Teriyaki Sauce and Garlic Potatoes. It was really phenomenal, but these days, I can't find any with the teriyaki sauce listed anymore... What happened there?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 8:43 am 
I haven't been able to find the teryaki sauce one either. I did find spiced chicken breasts with herbed mashed potatoes that was really good ---- until I dumped the second chicken breast into the dirt waah.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 9:05 am 
'Nother vote for Mtn. House. There's not a big selection of any brands for single servings, unfortunately. I really like Mtn House beef stronganoff and pasta primavera (to which I add salmon or dehydrated ground beef). I had bought a 2 person meal and split it, but it didn't turn out very well. Well enough for me, though, but the sauce to other stuff ratio didn't turn out. I wish these fine food folks would market to solo backpackers.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 9:36 am 
I agree-MH beef stew and stroganoff are pretty good, even if the meat chucks look exactly like the kibble we feed the dog. I'm not crazy about their spaghetti, though. They do make single serving sizes-I just had a one-person stroganoff this weekend.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 9:45 am 
The only single servings I could find from MH are the beef stroganoff and pasta primavera. It's a good thing they're good. The veggies on the primavera are really good. They even taste like the particular vegetables they are (meaning the flavor isn't zapped out by processing). Mary Jane's Farm brand makes single servings, but I'm not excited about their selection (couscous as a meal); I'm afraid it won't be enough grub for me, and if I have to supplement too much, I may as well buy sumpin' else. Ima Hogg.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
MountaingirlBC

MountaingirlBC
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 10:48 am 
I've given up on sharing the '2 serving' portions. I've found that we can eat a whole one each pretty easily most days. Might be 2 portions at sea level but after a 12 hour day that's 1 portion.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 11:01 am 
I'm a convert to Enertia Trailfoods. Mighty tasty stuff! They're single servings and pretty filling. Even better stirring in a pouch of smoked salmon or chicken.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 11:03 am 
I like to eat other stuff with my dinner; 2 portions of even the best pre-packaged stuff is way too much of the same thing, spork-full after spork-full! I like to eat wedges of na'an bread, cheese and dehydrated fruit as well, (unless I ate more than I allotted myself during the day). Dinnertime is when I load up on tons of water to replace fluids lost during the day, so I need room in my stomach. Dinner is quite the event.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 12:09 pm 
I like the beef strogonoff and Mountaingirl turned me onto the Pasta Primavera w/ tuna a few years ago..yum yum. I have tried the chicken and noodles... If I can afford the weight, I will bring along fresh fruit..or some kind of pasta salad to be eaten on the first night .

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
David

David
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 9:08 pm 
Putz-in-Boots wrote:
I agree. Not bad. I had that last night up at Grasshopper Pass and it was downright yummy!
You were up in Grasshopper Pass? That's where I ate the Chowda over the weekend. Putz, you're not Alicia that we met, are you? Or, were you part of four person group + kids? Enjoy the ice/sleet?