Forum Index > Support & Feedback > RSS Feeds for new Trip Reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 10:21 am 
Is there any effort to integrate RSS feeds into the threads of NWHikers? I would really like an RSS feed for new trip reports, so much more convenient than having to hit the site. Thanks mbg

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 10:51 am 
What do you want a RSS feed of, thread links or the posts themselves? If the posts I think it would be hard to follow what posts go with what thread. If the thread links, I think it would be less convenient to track new posts. The advantage of coming here is that you get a indicator for each thread with new posts which when you click on will take you to the first new post in a thread since your last visit. I don't think you would get that with an RSS feed but I could be wrong.

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 2:31 pm 
I would like at the least the notification of new initial posts on trip reports with at least the Subject. Alternatively I am not sure why the notificaiton of the new post, the subject and the content as well would not be appropriate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_%28file_format%29 Its the notification within a single RSS feed environement that is key, vs. me having to go hit 25 differnet websites polling for updates. RSS is _a_ wave of the future. smile.gif I am fine with subscribing to topic notifications from there if the topic interests me. Cheers mbg

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 4:27 pm 
I took a quick peek at what's out there in terms of RSS mods for the forum software we use and unfortunately it leaves a lot to be desired. Looks like it's going to be harder for us to add than for you to just click on a link to the trip reports forum.

seattlehiker
SeattleHiker

seattlehiker
SeattleHiker
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 11:30 am 
RSS feeds for trip reports
Any "NEW" news on creating an RSS feed for the nwhikers discussion forums? I've seen other forums with RSS feeds and they work great. Thanks!

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 12:16 pm 
Hear hear for RSS feeds, its the wave of the future! smile.gif I'd love to see you add it! Major bonus points if I can subscribe to feeds with key words as well. Cheers mbg

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 1:05 pm 
seattlehiker wrote:
Any "NEW" news on creating an RSS feed for the nwhikers discussion forums? I've seen other forums with RSS feeds and they work great. Thanks!
What other forums with RSS feeds "work great" and what specifically do you find about the RSS implementation that makes it "work great"?

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 1:44 pm 
I wont try to answer for Seattlehiker, but Flickr does an awesome job of giving you RSS Feeds for just about anything. Feeds for pics added to a group, for new discussion threads to a group, for a tag or for comments on your photos.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 1:55 pm 
Thanks, but that's not very specific. What specifically do you find "awesome" about it?

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 2:42 pm 
Well RSS only works if you have an RSS reader. The thing thats "awesome" about it is that I get notified when new information is published on the topics that I am interested in. And its NOT just notification but also text of the blurb itself. For example. The reason I keep replying to this thread is you have the "watch" feature, that pushes info to me, but RSS allows me to pull info at my time period on the subjections I want. On Flickr I get notified about only the things I want, when I want. (i.e. when I pull vs. push). So I subscribe to new photos to the Mt. Rainier photo group, and to new photos on the Page of Page photo group. As well as to notification of new discussion postings on the Hiking photo group. Make sense? mbg

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 2:57 pm 
I know what RSS is. I am asking for specifics re. what is awesome about the implementation, not RSS. For example, each time you request a feed does it remember you and what it sent? Is it smart enough to only show you new information since the last feed, or is it dumb and always sends you the last X days worth of posts or the last X posts? That's what I mean by implementation.

seattlehiker
SeattleHiker

seattlehiker
SeattleHiker
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 3:19 pm 
Thanks mbgriffi for repsonding and yes Flickr! is a great example!!! Tom, specifically the RSS feed is AWESOME, because you don't have to come to the website everyday, sift through all of the information in order to find a blurb or picture about a specific hiking/camping area, it's served up to you via your own reader that you download. So on my pocket pc or laptop or my own website, or even Vista's new sidebar (Google's too) you can subscribe to NWHikers RSS feed and have the information at your fingertips. I'm finding this thread a bit contentious and hope that we can clear up any miscommunications. As far as implementing it on your site, you'd have to make those decisions in order to make it as cost effective and easy to manage as possible. I'd assume you could just have the title of the posts searched and that would be enough to get started. Thanks!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 3:25 pm 
Quote:
specifically the RSS feed is AWESOME
dell.gif
Quote:
I get notified when new information is published on the topics that I am interested in. And its NOT just notification but also text of the blurb itself.
Let's use this as an example. Is the "blurb" a snippet of the last post in the topic or does it show you the entire post? What if there were 10 new posts in the last day? Does it give you a blurb of all of them? What if you requested a feed later in the day? Is it smart enough to only show you new posts since your last feed? What if you didn't request a feed for a week? Is it smart enough to show you 7 days? Is there a link to the topic? When you click on it does it take you to the last post in the topic, or is it smart enough to take you to the last post you haven't seen? There are a lot of different ways to implement this. That is why I am asking for specifics.

seattlehiker
SeattleHiker

seattlehiker
SeattleHiker
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 3:40 pm 
"Pretty much anything that can be broken down into discrete items can be syndicated via RSS: the "recent changes" page of a wiki, a changelog of CVS checkins, even the revision history of a book. Once information about each item is in RSS format, an RSS-aware program can check the feed for changes and react to the changes in an appropriate way." 1. Is the "blurb" a snippet of the last post in the topic or does it show you the entire post? Answer: The RSS reader will create a link to the blurb 2. What if there were 10 new posts in the last day? Does it give you a blurb of all of them? Answer: Then you'd get 10 new posts. Remember, the person subscribing to the RSS feeder tells the feeder what to return. I.e.: I want to know about all new trip reports, photos and backpacking trips about Mt. Rainier. Example of user settings: Check for new articles every ___ minutes Check for new articles at startup By default, show the article summary instead of loading the web page (for feeds that make a summary available). 3. What if you requested a feed later in the day? Answer: Again, the user can setup his/her RSS reader to request info anytime. The reader will just update the data sent to the user if new "blurbs" were available. 4. Is it smart enough to only show you new posts since your last feed? Answer: It will return only the latest entries since the last update. 5. What if you didn't request a feed for a week? Answer: see below 6. Is it smart enough to show you 7 days? Answer: I'd assume that the next time you logged in, your RSS reader would have the requests for the entire 7 days available. It just puts them in a folder so you can have a year's worth if space permits. 7. Is there a link to the topic? Answer: That's up to you and how you set it up. 8. Is it smart enough to take you to the last post you haven't seen? Answer: You, the RSS subscribor, can view them in order, jump to an older feed or see the latest, which typically is at the top of the list in the reader. Hope that answers your implementation questions and keep you from banging the computer with a hammer (icon) :-) Seattlehiker

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 3:41 pm