Forum Index > Trail Talk > Best of 2001!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 4:32 pm 
Here it is folks: Stefan’s best climbs of 2001! Best Winter Climb: Troublesome/Double Toil. I was in a tshirt in the middle of January! Most Challenging Winter: East Higgins. I had to use an ice tool—thrilling! Worst Winter Climb: Tirzah/Wallace. It sucked. Rain. Wet snow. Tree bombs…. Best Snowshoe Traverse: Big Snow to Iron Cap. Great views! First to the Summit? Rojo and Rouge. Very obscure peaks next to Red. Best overall climb: NE Buttress of Goode. Wow. Nuff said. Worst overall rappel. The Bedayn couloiur of Goode. Tell your ex-spouse to go down this rotten Cascadian couloir! Longest one day: An entire traverse of all the 400’ prominent peaks of American Ridge. Most relaxing climb: Bonanza. Great people, great weather. What more is there? Best family outing: Thorp. Met a fellow Pack and Paddler too! Best father and daughter outing: Mt. Townsend in the Olympics. She was happy in the pack the whole time! Most disappointment: The summit of Olympicket Fence where 14 people had signed a register. Easiest summit: Mt. Spokane. A drive to the summit! Best two pitches of rock climbing: The second and third pitches of Prussik Peak!

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 5:17 pm 
Most scenic, most pristine area of 2001: upper Camp Robber Creek Most brush of the 2001: lower Camp Robber Creek Best lake fishing of 2001: A lake N of Stevens Pass and S of Cascade Pass Best Jumping Rock of 2001: at Big Snow Lake Best River Fishing of 2001: a river N of Stevens and W of the Crest Most impressive sight of 2001: 2000 leonid meteors per hour, while viewing with some trail talk regulars at a dark sky site near Easton. Best outing with TT regulars: Tie between Camp Buster in the spring and the first Resort Creek campout with the nice weather.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
IBEX

IBEX
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 11:18 pm 
IBEX Spray, Worst Weather: Ski-dodging snowmobiles and attempt Mount Finn up Tonga road. Most “Post-holing”: Middle Tommy - North Tommy loop over Klone Peak. The most startled horses: Miller Peak – Freedom Peak Traverse. Most interesting bed fellows: Sleep with the cows on Mission Pk summit above Libby Creek. Best Sunrise: Hoodoo Peak South Ridge before breakfast. Most surprising solitude: First to sign-in on Granite Mtn and Trico Mtn above Tuck and Robin. Best weather: Pasayten Triple Crown – Hike down to climb up. Most exposure: Blackcap Peak from Shellrock Pass. Most famous encounter: Meet Rubberlegs and John on East Ridge Chiwawa Mtn. 2nd Most famous encounter: Meet SteveF and John on West Ridge Chiwawa Mtn. Longest Day hike: Snoqualmie Mtn – Tried to descend West Ridge to Snow Lk Trail….NOT Most interesting Wildlife: Hock Mtn – McAllister Pass – Rainbow Ridge. Scariest ascent: Merchant Peak. Strongest wind storm: North Ridge Mt Adams. Most crowded Summit: Cascade Range lifetime climb #360 – Townsend Mtn with only Phil. Best Views: North of White Salmon and south of Chillawack. biggrin.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 12:12 am 
Most logs hopped over on a trail - Cherry Lake Most Rewarding Scramble - Delta Lake Most Trecherous Stream Crossing - Delta Lake (Copper Outlet, crawling across on a log) Most surprising event (aside from 9/11) - Van Trump Debris Flow (2 days after @ Christine Falls - http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/extra/christine2.htm ) Most wasted time - 1 1/2 hours @ Walupt Creek Falls, didn't reach the falls cause a ford of the Cispus was necessary and it was running way too high to ford). Best Photo subject - Agnes Lake, Banff Nat'l Park Worst Photo Subject - My cat Opus, 'cause she won't stay still tongue.gif Most tiring hike - 9 miles in to Twin Falls @ Yoho Valley, Yoho NP (only cause I hiked Johnston Canyon the same morning).

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 10:38 am 
Best View (360 degrees): Mt. Pilchuck Summit Ascent via the North Face route Dec. 30, 2001...my most recent outing has to be logged as a best everything for me, well almost.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com

PostThu Jan 03, 2002 12:26 pm 
Jan - Tear meniscus in left knee showing 16 yr old daughter "how to" run stairs. March- First surgery. April - Physical Therapists thrashes my knee while I supidly do what she says. Next day feel worse than after surgery. April - Start reading and occasionally writing in TT. It's going to be vicarious year. May - Living in denial start running - but not for long. June - Limp up to Stiletto Peak area, make it to a couple tops, find and drink unfiltered from the mother of all gushing springs. Saw no one above 4000' except my best buddy from Oregon for three days. Sore for weeks after trip. Too stuborn to see Doc again. Aug - Took wifes cousin from the UK to Sahale Glacier (me slowly). He was STUNNED by the raw beauty ( and the incredible flies). Oct - Limped up Tomyhoi with to old friends. Perfect fall day. Colors awesome. Oct - Get new MRI Nov - Second Surgery Jan 02 - Progress is slow, but I have Hope for a better list this year. .......but I didn't wear out any sox.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 8:48 pm 
Best waterfalls: West Fork Foss River in June. smile.gif Best view: from road just below Cascade Pass trailhead parking. Banff doesn't get any better than this. Best place: Headlight Basin across the gulf of Ingalls Creek from Mt Stewart. The upside of turning sixty:three new "personal bests" for elevation reached hiking; Navaho Peak, the saddle between North and South Ingalls, and Third Burroughs. The downside of turning sixty: recognizing my limits. I'll never get closer to Otter Lake than the Otter Creek inlet on Delta Lake. I'll probably never do the Toublesome Creek/Blanca Lake loop (in spite of having invented it). Most discouraging: lack of significant personal progress on this year's Troublesome Creek probe. Second most unusual: cicumnavigating Horse Lake Mountain - I came within about 100 yards of the summit on the west side, but that's not (quite) cheating - getting blown off by a sleet storm, and spooking forty deer as I plunged down into Number One Canyon. Most unusual: hiking around Leadbetter Point on the north end of the Long Beach Peninsula, accompanied by thousands of pelicans, tens-of-thousands of sandpipers, one set of bear tracks - on the beach! - and (briefly) two people. A surreal quarter-mile walk through inch deep water across the tide flats south of Grassy Island. And ending at the back of a sign which turned out to read "NO TRAIL TO LEADBETTER POINT". biggrin.gif The ultimate official accolade to offtrail hiking - and a great place to stop.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 8:35 pm 
best hike: Lake Augusta worst hike: getting lost on the Sourdough Mtn Trail, eating all my food on the bottom half of the trail and turning around 2 miles from the top. Next time I will bring a roastbeef sandwich and a big leg of mutton instead of peanut butter and an apple :angry: new years resolution: when a trail narrows and narrows further I will turn around instead of imagining trails out of splotches of dirt and low brush and believing I am on the main trail. best photo-ops: Ingalls Lake, the road up to Mt. Baker

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 10:22 pm 
2nd Best Overall Trip: Chikamin and Iceberg Lakes. Great weather, company, and scenery. Best Overall Trip: Lennox Mt and Coney Lake. Perfect November day. Alpenglow and Coney...it don't get any better baby! 2nd Worst Overall Trip: Burnboot Creek. Yup did it again. Tried the high route that doesn't work, 1-hour to go half a mile, etc. etc. Wasp in my pants, ouch, etc. etc. Worst Overall Trip: Rooster Mt. Had a few hours to kill and was convienently near the Taylor gate. Calm and overcast June day turned into massive downpour 15 minutes after leaving the car. I didn't have my good gear. My full suit of REI rain gear was useless and I was soaked by the time we reached 3000'. At 4000' we were in a full-on blizzard (very wet and cold here) and finally gave up at 4300' or something like that. Trashed the REI stuff when I got home! Longest Duration for a Day Trip: Rainy Lake, Preacher Mt, and the Pratt River. 13 hours for the loop. 13 hours isn't that long, but we didn't start until 11 A.M.! Most Stings on a Trip: Burnboot Creek. Around 20 bee and wasp stings in our group. Nests every 100 yards. If you haven't figured it out yet, don't go to Burnboot Creek, ever! Worst Post Hike Experience: Thunder Mt and Thunder Mt Lakes. Concluded that I can't break the windows in my own truck no matter how hard I hit them with rocks. rolleyes.gif Best Post Hike Experience: Thunder Mt and Thunder Mt Lakes. Can you say freight train? That's right baby! Best Snowshoe: Mount Defiance and Little Mason Lake in December. Awesome route to Defiance, spectacular weather, and great snow. Worst Snowshoe: Pumpkinseed Lake. 3000' climb through thigh-deep concrete. Could barely tell there was even a lake when we arrived. Best View: Preacher Mt. Tough choice, but c'mon, hard to beat all those summits and lakes, great area. Trip I Won't do Again: Hibox Lake. Lake sits in a deep, dark hole, not very scenic. Trip I'll do Again: Three Queens Lake. Loved the route up to the Lake. Best Fly-Fishing: A 6000' lake east of the crest. Lots of big cutthroat all day long! Best Social: The one up by Rampart in September where I met a lot of the TT regulars for the first time. Very fun group! Well it was a pretty good year folks! Hope to bump into a few of you on the trail in 2002!