Forum Index > Food & Grub > cheap quick tasty backcountry dinners
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gyngve

gyngve
PostFri Sep 01, 2006 4:57 pm 
dinner for two for two nights: 2 Trader Joes Indian meal (sealed in foil): $1.99 each 1 box TJ's couscous: 1.29 1family-size (12 oz) foil pack of Tuna (from Safeway): 3.75 total: about $9.00 (4 MtnHouse meals would be about $25 at REI?) 1. boil 3/4 to 1 L of water (I tend to make it soupier to help myself rehydrate), letting an Indian meal in foil heat. 2. put in half box of couscous. 3. add half the tuna. 4. put in the contents of the Indian meal. 5. optional: perk up with extra olive oil / red chile. For one night, you can also use half-box couscous and two packs of TJ's tuna Thai curry pouches ($1.39 each) and not have to add in any more tuna.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Sep 01, 2006 5:04 pm 
Couscous from the bulk bins at WinCo...way cheaper smile.gif 3 ounce tuna pouches at WinCo..less than a $1 each-perfect for a 2 person meal smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
gyngve

gyngve
PostFri Sep 01, 2006 5:13 pm 
I'm sure you could find cheaper prices. But TJ's is a five-minute walk from my crib. The TJ's cous-cous is a 17.6 oz box, which puts it at slightly over $1 per pound. The tunafish from Safeway is under $1 per 3 oz.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 01, 2006 5:29 pm 
Why not just pick up a Backpacker's Pantry Pesto Salmon Pasta for two. It's only $12.95 per meal. hockeygrin.gif I'll stick to my Mountain House Lasagne, Spaghetti, and Polynesian Chicken, thanks. Add some Idahoan potatoes and bacon bits if you're still hungry. There's nothing wrong with paying $7-8 for a dinner for two.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
gyngve

gyngve
PostFri Sep 01, 2006 5:34 pm 
Those "dinners for two" always end up being just a dinner for one. Though you can probably make it for two with extra potato flakes, as you mention. But I've had problems with the dried stuff before with dry spots despite mixing well. I don't have time to do my own freeze-dried crap either. Anyway, I've been impressed by the cheapness and flavorfulness of the TJs stuff, so just sharing...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 01, 2006 5:38 pm 
If you're not worried about weight, the TJs stuff is good. I like to bring the thai curry packets (tuna) for dayhikes. Not really practical for extended trips though (due to weight).

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Sep 01, 2006 5:52 pm 
gyngve wrote:
The tunafish from Safeway is under $1 per 3 oz.
The 3 ounce pouches are nice for one meal use (no leftovers smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Sep 02, 2006 10:47 am 
A jar of Trader Joe's Sun Dried Tomato Pesto mixed in with your favorite cooked pasta, topped with grated parmesan. Not super light, but easy and yummy. For more flavor, use TJ's dried pesto-filled tortellini as the pasta.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSat Sep 02, 2006 11:02 am 
My latest favorite is Top Ramen. *hey!! You there at the keyboard! Quit yer laughin'....Let me finish!* To continue.....A pack of Top Ramen, some fresh tomato, fresh bell or banana pepper, fresh jalapeno, fresh garlic, summer sausage or that foil pouch salmon or chicken, a half packet or so of Knorr's soup mix, and a healthy glug of olive oil. Bring to a boil and then let sit a few minutes and then dig in! I guaroooontee that your hiking partners will be willing to trade multiple swigs of their precious liquid libations for more of this stuff!

don't believe everything you think
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Sep 02, 2006 11:04 am 
And then there's the Superbowl of ramens: Shin Yum Spicy Korean Ramen. Now you're talkin'. humpy.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Sep 02, 2006 11:16 am 
This is heavy, so it's a first night out meal: Backcountry Primavera 2 packages ramen noodles - kinda crunched up 1 foil pack tuna (regular, not flavored) 1 small bell pepper, chopped handful green beans, chopped couple sprigs brocolli, chopped couple cloves garlic, slivered 1 tupe concentrated pesto paste splash of extra olive oil small chunk parmesan cheese Chop the veggies at home and bring them along in a baggie. Put a pot of water on to boil and stand the tuna pouch in the water so it heats up along with the water. When the water reaches a simmer, add the veggies. When the water reaches a boil, pull the tuna pouch out and add your ramen noodles (just discard the flavor packets). When the noodles are done (a few minutes), drain out the water and add the tuna, the pesto paste, the amount of olive oil you need to make the pesto the right consistency (varies according to taste), and toss it all well. Slice up the parmesan cheese and add to taste. I also like to add chili flakes. Vary the veggies according to taste. Makes 2 good sized portions.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Sep 02, 2006 11:25 am 
I was going to mention, Ramen noodles make a great stand in for pasta in general on long backpacks. I've used them with dehydrated spaghetti sauce and landjaeger (dried summer sausage) with fantastic results. They're quick, they're easy, and after day 3 my metabolism has usually kicked into overdrive and I'm scrounging for every calorie I can get.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSat Sep 02, 2006 12:18 pm 
Quote:
2 Trader Joes Indian meal (sealed in foil): $1.99 each
Excellent choice. I'm partial to: 1.Jaipur Vegetables 2.Pav Bhaji 3.Punjab Eggplant Go full out with some tandoori naan for which a six pack has ~1800 for a reasonable weight. Not light as said but not terrible weight wise and much better tasting than freeze dried _______. Classico pesto plus garlic flavored penne is another good one.

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostSun Sep 03, 2006 12:58 am 
Just another Top Ramen wonder recipe. Cook the noodles like normal. Strain. Then fry in a pan with brownsugar and soy sauce. Sounds funky, but its an excellent mixture. The noodles carmalize from the sugar, and the soy sauce counters the sweetness to make a nice sweet n sour type yakisoba noodle. Add whatever spices. I usually add the top ramen packet since I'm packin it anywho. Garlic salt. Chili powder. Pepper. Toss in some cashews and a packet of tuna. Bam...a tasty asian dish. A glob of peanut butter isn't so bad either. Just be sure to have plenty of soy sauce on hand.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Sep 04, 2006 7:21 am 
marylou wrote:
And then there's the Superbowl of ramens: Shin Yum Spicy Korean Ramen. Now you're talkin'. humpy.gif
mmmm the shin cups rule!

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley