Forum Index > Photography Talk > Digital Storage
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 3:56 pm 
It looks like Minds@Work, the company that makes the MindStor portable digital storage decive I use in the field -- went out of business. Hopefully, my hardware will work for a long time to come, but I want to keep my eye on possible replacements. Do any of you use any kind of portable digital storage for photography in the field? Buying a stack of CF cards isn't really an option for me. I'd like something comparable to what I already use.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 4:11 pm 
Thinking about it, a handful of CF cards may be the way to go. They are about 1.5x the price (assuming MindStor prices) but are much lighter and are less of a failure point in the field since they don't need batteries. Anyone have any experience doing massinve amounts of digital photography in the field with just a handful of CF cards? Any recommended brands (I already know to stay away from Sandisk)? I'm thinking I'll need 2-3 1Gb cards and I'll be set.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:25 pm 
I wouldn't worry about it for now. Compact flash is only getting cheaper. By the time you need to replace your digital wallet you'll probably be able to get 5 GB of compact flash for a hundred bucks. BTW, even Sandisk is OK as long as you get their "ultra" version.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:26 pm 
I'd go for extra CompactFlash anyday... Had thought about an IBM microdrive, but after my experience last year at Rampart Lakes I'm a firm believer in static RAM with no moving parts. What happened? In the process of changing out a CF card, I managed to drop the full card onto rock, and watched in horror as it rolled, jostled, and bounced down the face into the lake. My heart sank further as it fluttered down in the water and planted itself firmly at the bottom of the lake. The CompactFlash, once rescued and dried out, worked great -- all my images were intact. I'm guessing a microdrive wouldn't have even survived the shock of the initial drop; have no idea what the water would have done to it. I've two 128 Meg cards that have done the trick so far but I'll be buying a few 1GB cards for this years adventures. They should be fine until I win the lottery and upgrade to a 14 megapixel Kodak Pro DCS-14n. wink.gif Then again, I suppose the 2GB and 4GB compact flash will be affordable by the time 14 megapixel cameras are the norm.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:28 pm 
I've mentioned before and will again that I swear by Lexar cards--they are fast and very reliable. I know others have good luck with other brands, and that is fine. But I don't want to risk it and after 2+ years using them just stick by them. Beyond my use the two digital photo forums that I have kept up with--while both being professional wildlife photographers as a rule--they all swear by Lexar almost exclusively as well. Just word for thought. They are more $ than other brands, however. I have no problems going the multiple-CF card route and at the time I have 2x512mg cards, a 640mg card, and a 320mg card. I shot for 3 days in Arizona last week and came home with 472 images and 1.4gig of space happily...with a mix of 2mg fun shots at the Mariner's game and 18mg TIFF files from Sedona. Once I add a 1gig card from a friend who is going the route of a 1gig microdrive for some reason, then I'll be set for likely a week in the field OK...especially now that I have a cigarette lighter adaptor power supply to recharge my batteries for the D100! smile.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:43 pm 
Is the major complaint re: the SanDisk CF their speed or their reliability? I was under the impression that many cameras couldn't take advantage of the additional speed of the faster rated cards. Anyone know whether this is fact or fiction?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:52 pm 
It's true--Lexar makes 40x cards now, but almost no camera will use that power fully. I have 24x cards that work very well and noticeably faster than 16x and 12x cards on the Nikon D100...but I don't know about 40x. I also have tried 12x SanDisk once and I could tell the difference...but it all depends. If you were a wildlife shooter the speed is more critical than if you are a landscape/macro/everything else shooter like I am and most others around here are.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:54 pm 
Speed. The "regular" sandisk card is slooooow. At the fire sale prices it was selling for, it looks like Sandisk is probably closing it out and clearing out their inventory. BTW, Alan, Ten Deeeee D100 killer baby biggrin.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:58 pm 
Oh my god. I'm in love. I'm surprised it only goes down to ISO 100 though.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 6:08 pm 
DLSR sensors are much, much larger than sensors in prosumer digicams. As such pictures are silky smooth, even up to ISO 800! I've got my eye on the new Pentax DSLR due in July. Only one pound!!! Before lenses. bawl.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 8:18 pm 
MCaver wrote:
Oh my god. I'm in love. I'm surprised it only goes down to ISO 100 though.
Yeah, me too. By the time I can muster the money for something like this, I think the G3's ability to do ISO 50 will have a better sway (unless, say, I can get a 10D for less than a G3). I think I'd still be fine with a G3 for quick(er) work, and film for stuff I want to perfect... Too many toys... bawl.gif

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 9:31 pm 
You bet the Canon 10D is killer---but it is hard to claim it is a D100 killer for the main purpose of very few people will ever be swayed to dump their set of SLR lenses for a new brand just to get the body choice of SLR that looks greater to them. It gets particularly difficult with digital cameras since they are like computers---get what is killer now and the other guy will outdo it soon. With traditional film SLRs they had lasting power and thus once you are on your brand and have the lenses they will live with you forever. I have read both Canon and Nikon state this themselves...what they are really trying to do is to make sure they HAVE a model in that market so that their loyal customers are not forced to jump ship to the competition to get what they need. If I were to jump Nikon ship and go Canon on this and upgrade to appropriate lenses, with digital I'm set up to watch back in 18 months at a 10-D killer from the other side. maybe I should get both!!! biggrin.gif I'm thrilled both Nikon and Canon are getting well along in the $2000 and less SLR range now to keep the push going for advancements in DSLRs. If the tool solves your problems in photography, then it is the right tool for you regardless if it has everything other models have. Sure I lust over other equiptment, but as I tell everyone I know who asks me "which should I get: Nikon or Canon?" the right choice is the one that can perform for you. Now, if anyone gets this camera, can I borrow it to play for a week!!? smile.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Mar 12, 2003 3:19 pm 
Costco.com has SimpleTech 512 CF for $119.99 SimpleTech $50 rebate (good till 3/15)=$69.99 Costco Rebate This is decent, but I bet Tom can do better? NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 12, 2003 3:42 pm 
That's a pretty good deal NN (almost worth paying the sales tax), but I think the $50 rebate may only apply to specific retailers. For example, if you go to the Simpletech site you'll notice that there is a separate rebate form for each retailer listed. I didn't see one for costco. confused.gif Also, the simpletech cards are pretty fast in Canon digicams, but not necessarily so in Nikon digicams.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Mar 12, 2003 3:56 pm 
That's it!!! I'm done. I'm not going to post anymore. humpf NN mad.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.