Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Ikonboard questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 8:42 am 
Tom, MCaver, or whoever is familiar with hosting a forum...... I've just set up a forum for the pro photog org that I belong to with Ikonboard. Since they're not providing me with funding, I'm using their free version. It seems to be quite nice and so far I'm real happy with it. I have a few persnickity and difficult members, though, that just seem to want to find something wrong with it. One member said he saw no privacy statement and is concerned he's going to get a bunch more spam as a result of registering. I haven't seen any privacy statements on any of these forums, so I think he's just trying to be difficult. Can you give me any insight on this?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 11:08 am 
Ikonboard? My sincerest condolences. I would switch to invisionboard if it's not too late. The entire ikonboard development & support team quit more than a year ago to create invisionboard, leaving ikonboard riddled with bugs, gaping securitry holes, and non-existent support. It was one of the reasons we switched to phpbb. Privacy is generally covered in our registration agreement, but at your prompting I decided to add one below. If you want a privacy statement, just add one somewhere on your site.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 11:15 am 
I just checked out invisionboard's requirements and unfortunately, the webhost that has already been established (and is paid up through the ned of 2003) does not have mysql. That has prevented me from using phpbb, too. frown.gif I didn't choose the webhost (hostsave), but that's the one I'm having to work with.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 11:46 am 
In response to your question about spam, the forum data is stored on your server and would not be transmitted to ikonboard if that was your concern. Obviously you and your host would have access to this data, and a privacy statement won't help much to the extent you and/or your host are not trustworthy. If ikonboard were hosting your forum they would have access to your data, and the same trust issues come into play, but I personally don't think it would be worth it to them to sell email addresses and risk losing their hosting revenue. If the concern was that email addresses would be publicly visible, make sure you turn on the email option to use a form for when members email other members (this keeps all email addresses private). BTW, the good news is that I wrote the ikonboard to phpbb converter if you ever need to switch. smile.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 8:00 pm 
Tom, like I said, there are a few of the members of the org (old-timers that insist they always no more than anyone else) that are making my reign as webmaster very difficult. Shoot, I've got a disaster of a website to clean up as it is - withOUT the added problems some people are dishing me! Anyway, I thought I'd ask someone, kind of just to say I did. As for your conversion thing..... I don't understand. What exactly does it convert?

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 8:10 pm 
Tom, just wondering what line of work you're in? NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 8:41 pm 
Catwoman, a forum converter converts your forum data to another format, allowing you to switch forum software. I'm not sure if you remember when we switched from ikonboard to phpbb, but the point is you hopefully didn't notice much of anything (other than all those nasty bugs and internal server errors going away). wink.gif Newbie Newt, programming is my other passion (besides hiking and photography) but I don't do it for a living.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 11:25 pm 
I still don't understand what exactly it converts. I mean, does it just transfer all the information, posts, etc. from one forum to another?

mb

mb
PostMon Mar 10, 2003 12:03 am 
Seems the board software isn't your major problem, but rather political issues like your privacy statment. Search for one. Or make one up. Maybe the FTC has one? How's this for a proposal (I Am Not A Lawyer and am in fact pulling this out of nowhere):
Quote:
We will use your provided email address to provide you with password assistance and to verify identity. We will not send email except for technical service announcements related to the operation of this board. We will not provide your email address to any other party execpt where obligated by law.
Maybe mention something about IP address tracking. And use of cookies if need be, describe what they do--prevent the user from logging in each time, and again you don't share them with anyone else.