Forum Index > Gear Talk > Definitive Oregon Hiking Guide?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nehiker

nehiker
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 12:40 pm 
Can anyone who has hiked in the Oregon Cascades tell me what the definitive, must have Oregon (or Oregon and Washington, if the best guide is in one book for both) hiking guide is ? Something that includes Mt. Hood, Three Sisters and also inlcudes lots of trail options, trail distance, elevation gain and other important details. Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 1:43 pm 
Most of the books I'm aware of only cover parts of Oregon. Most of the "100 Hikes" series for Oregon are pretty good, but I think the books from Falcon Press are probably better guides (I just don't know how much of Oregon has been covered by them yet). Try browsing through this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-3572373-7311958

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 1:50 pm 
I'm not sure that there is one book or guide that covers both well. There is a book by Ron Judd and Dan Nelson that covers both states but I'd stay away from any book that tries to cover both. I've used the following two books for Oregon & I could recommend them to you, they are: 1. 100 Hikes in Central Oregon Cascade by Wm Sullivan This guide covers the 3 sisters area, the Mt. Jefferson area as well as some areas closer to Eugene and Bend. It is a well done book. 2. Hiking Oregons Mt Hood and Badger Creek Wilderness by Fred Barstad is a decent book (Facon Guide books) as well. Also as mentioned above, go to Amazon, click on books and plug in Oregon Hiking and you'll bring up a lot of books to look at, many have some reviews posted as well.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 6:24 pm 
Just went through my two Oregon books, the Trail Oregon by Falcon and 100 hikes in Oregon. They both cover a wide range of hikes from the coast to the eastern side. But they don't have a lot in one area. i would look into one for around Mt. Hood or the other area that you are interested in if that is the only areas you are interested in. i noticed they also had a lot of long distant loop hikes which are kinda cool to. Ice Girl

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 9:10 pm 
Beautiful state you hail from. I'm originally from the NE....Jersey. Spent alot of time in Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire. My brother went to college in Manchester. And we have a family friend with a place at Lake Conway. Glad to see you checking out the Northwest. You won't be disappointed. BW biggrin.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
nehiker

nehiker
PostMon Mar 10, 2003 5:55 am 
I have actually been to the Oregon and Washington twice before, but sadly have hardly done any hiking on the prior trips. I absolutely love it out there and I'd like to move there, but since I haven't found a way to yet, living in New Hampshire and near the White Mountains isn't a bad thing to have to settle for. If anyone is interested I have some good trip reports and pictures from the White Mountains at http://www.frankiehots.com/hiking/index.php. As for books I'm finding that the way to go may be the 2 books... 100 Hikes in the Central Oregon Cascades by William L. Sullivan and 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon (Second Edition) by William L. Sullivan

JimK

JimK
PostMon Mar 10, 2003 8:02 am 
In addition to the books take a look at this site: nwhiker.com He does a good job of providing info on Hiking in Oregon.

nehiker

nehiker
PostMon Mar 10, 2003 9:58 am 
Thanks for the link, that is an impressive site with good information.

Oregon Hiker

Oregon Hiker
PostMon Mar 10, 2003 4:59 pm 
Oregon Hiking Book
We use the Hike America Oregon book by Lizann Dunegan and its been great. We have used it to hike the South Sister and a few others in that area. It also has quite a bit of Mt. Hood info...so that might be a good book for you. It does show a graph of the elevation gain for each hike as well as a drawing map of the hike. We have used this book for several years and it still has lots of good use left.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster