Forum Index > Trip Reports > First Time on Si and Dixie 03-13-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MountainMan

MountainMan
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 4:59 pm 
Yes this is my first time up Si. I've been back into hiking for about eight months now, but since BC has done Si several times and we always go new places, I've never been up there. I haven't done much Solo hiking either, so this is also my first major solo hike. Part of what inspired this trip was reading the Solo thread. Also, I've realized for awhile now that I'll probably have to go out on my own, if I ever want to go to all these places that she and others I hike with have already been. It's been kind of scary for me for some reason, not sure why, I used to go out in the woods alone all the time when I was a kid. After such a beautiful day on Thursday, I decided I'm going out Friday while the weather is still good. I've wanted to knock off Si for quite awhile now. I've also been intrigued by Dixie, so I figured if I'm feeling okay and have time I'll continue on and do that too. Here's the topo for my trip:
Si and Dixie
Si and Dixie
Distance: About 12mi RT. Elevation gain: about 4000' The weather Friday was almost as nice as Thursday, just as the forecast had predicted. I got kind of a late start. It was just after 10 a.m. when I started up the trail. There were maybe 10 cars in the parking lot when I got there. I didn't see many people all day, I guess since it was a weekday. I kept waiting for it to get steep, like the book said, but it just continued at the same gentle grade the whole way.
Start of Mt Si trail.
Start of Mt Si trail.
Si trail
Si trail
View at 3.5 mi.
View at 3.5 mi.
I reached the Haystack Basin just after noon, took a few pics, then headed up to look at the Haystack.
Mt Rainier from Haystack Basin.
Mt Rainier from Haystack Basin.
View from Haystack Basin.
View from Haystack Basin.
Looking up at Haystack.
Looking up at Haystack.
A couple of people had gone up part way, so I followed their tracks then continued after they turned around. The snow was relatively firm and made for easy kick stepping. I'm not sure about the normal route. It looked way too slippery to go to the top, but I was able to reach the ridge just to the north of the Haystack, took several pics and went back down.
Haystack from ridge.
Haystack from ridge.
Looking south from Haystack ridge.
Looking south from Haystack ridge.
North Bend from Si.
North Bend from Si.
Looking down
Looking down
I was feeling fine and had time, so I decided to go for Dixie. Fortunately, several people had broken the trail in the direction I wanted to go.
Snowshoe path following the road leading from Si.
Snowshoe path following the road leading from Si.
Mt. Si.
Mt. Si.
View to the west.
View to the west.
Mt Rainier
Mt Rainier
Views from the ridge above Si.
I followed the track up the road for about a mile until that ended. Then I was on my own. Checking the GPS, I could see I was close to the ridge leading to Dixie, so I worked my way through some trees until I found the ridge. It was a narrower in places than I expected from looking at the topo, but I was able to walk right along the top most of the way.
Narrow section of the ridge.
Narrow section of the ridge.
I could see a couple of hills in the distance. I wasn't sure which was Dixie, but I knew from the map I just had to follow the ridge, so I stuck to it like glue. Pretty soon I got into some trees. It was easy going, but I couldn't see anything of my destination or what lay ahead. I was kind of worried because it was after two o'clock which seemed late to be still headed out, but I reminded myself that I had more daylight now. I momentarily considered turning around, but looking at the GPS I could see I had less than half a mile to go, so I continued on.
Heading through the trees along the ridge to Dixie.
Heading through the trees along the ridge to Dixie.
Eventually, I came out of the trees as the ridge narrowed again and sloped up more steeply. I could see west all the way to the Olympics, but I still couldn't see anything ahead. I came over a rise, saw a small hill ahead and thought that's the summit, but no, just a false summit. rolleyes.gif
Coming out of the trees and starting up the last part of the ridge towards Dixie.
Coming out of the trees and starting up the last part of the ridge towards Dixie.
Ridge leading to Dixie.
Ridge leading to Dixie.
A little further on I finally got a glimpse of Dixie. Not far now.
Top of Dixie peaking through the trees.
Top of Dixie peaking through the trees.
I had to negotiate a short steep section and work my way through some close tree wells (all the while thinking of Iron's warning of falling into tree wells). eek.gif After that it was a short few minutes to the top.
Almost to the top.
Almost to the top.
Looking back down the ridge to the south.
Looking back down the ridge to the south.
It's a very nice little summit with views almost all the way around. up.gif cool.gif I couldn't see the lakes from the top but I was able to see crater lake later from a little south of the summit. I took a bunch of pics, had a quick snack and headed back down at about 3 p.m.
Mt Rainier from Dixie.
Mt Rainier from Dixie.
Mt Rainier from Dixie.
Mt Rainier from Dixie.
The Summit.
The Summit.
Looking south from Dixie.
Looking south from Dixie.
Views from the top of Dixie.
Looking down to NE.
Looking down to NE.
Rachor Lake should be down there somewhere.
Rachor Lake should be down there somewhere.
Looking down to the West.
Looking down to the West.
Me on the summit.
Me on the summit.
Looking West from the summit.
Looking West from the summit.
Crater Lake from the ridge to the south of Dixie.
Crater Lake from the ridge to the south of Dixie.
On the way back I tried to keep my speed up despite being tired because it was getting late and I was hoping to make dinner for a certain someone.
My tracks through the trees along the ridge.
My tracks through the trees along the ridge.
My tracks along the ridge.
My tracks along the ridge.
Looking back at Dixie.
Looking back at Dixie.
Mt Teneriffe.
Mt Teneriffe.
Back to the road and multiple showshoe tracks.
Back to the road and multiple showshoe tracks.
Mt Rainier
Mt Rainier
I reached the Haystack basin by 4:15, took off the snowshoes and watched as a spandex clad jogger took off down the trail. I thought, if he can do it so can I. So I packed everything away tight and started off down the trail. My spikes provided good traction in the packed snow and I was able to jog the flatter straight sections and walk the other parts, making it down by about 5:25 p.m. I called BC. My timing was good. She was just finishing up at work. smile.gif I got to her place a little after 6 p.m. and made us a nice chicken curry dinner. hungry.gif Then we planned the next days hike, finally settling on two options near Yakima in an attempt to avoid the nasty weather (which was successful) and also to find a new place to go that didn't have road closures. One more thing. Thank you EastKing for your encouragement the other day.

Slow down, take notice, savor the moment, appreciate the world around you and everything that you have.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 5:51 pm 
Congratulations on your first solo hike! agree.gif

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 5:58 pm 
Nice TR, great route details with the photos -thanks. And also congrats on the solo up.gif

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 6:05 pm 
ditto.gif what they said. wink.gif Though I've hiked Si several times I've never done Dixie, so you're a step ahead of me there. winksmile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 6:24 pm 
Yea finishing this up is on my short list. I was debating on whether to approach from Si or the Teneriffe road slog. This was the best "route report" I have seen to date on this, showing things more along the way. The furthest I went a while back was to the spot where you have to lose a little elevation. I gather the previous tracks from others were washed away/covered by all the recent snow. Did the next peak beyond "Dixie" look worth visiting? It appears to be about .2 miles from Dixie and maybe 50-60 feet lower.

MountainMan

MountainMan
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 7:16 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
ditto.gif what they said. wink.gif Though I've hiked Si several times I've never done Dixie, so you're a step ahead of me there. winksmile.gif
Thanks everbody. smile.gif BC, maybe we can bike to the dam and try this route when the snow melts: cool.gif
Dixie from Spur 10
Dixie from Spur 10
tigerman wrote:
I gather the previous tracks from others were washed away/covered by all the recent snow. Did the next peak beyond "Dixie" look worth visiting? It appears to be about .2 miles from Dixie and maybe 50-60 feet lower.
tigerman, there were no tracks after the first mile (and after the snow this weekend, I'm sure there's no tracks at all). Also, I believe you're referring to the high spot just to the NE. The trees were blocking views to the north, so I don't know. It could be that you could see more from that spot, but it's likely tree covered.

Slow down, take notice, savor the moment, appreciate the world around you and everything that you have.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 9:26 pm 
Good on ya for getting in your first solo. A worthy TR indeed! up.gif up.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 10:08 pm 
Quote:
Did the next peak beyond "Dixie" look worth visiting? It appears to be about .2 miles from Dixie and maybe 50-60 feet lower.
Definitely!!! It has much better northern views!!! Congrads Jason and getting out solo and enjoying the mountains. Just remember, you have a lot of talent in this sport and a strong possibility for much larger mountains (like Rainier, Orizaba, Chimborazo, etc.).

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 10:16 pm 
Cool trip report, I have never been up to Mt Si, I guess it's because it's so "peoplelized" for a lack of a better word. One of these days I'll go up there. Love the pic of Crater Lake. Can you see Rachor Lake by any chance? Congrats on your first Solo!

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 10:16 pm 
I agree with EastKing. He & I did this peak together two weeks ago. The views from the northern false summit of Dixie Peak are MUCH more spectacular and far-ranging than from the true summit. A must do!!! The false summit has no tree-cover... You just have to pass by some trees immediately after the true summit, descend a little, and then ascend a little to a rocky false summit. Again, HIGHLY recommended to visit the false summit.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 10:20 pm 
Obi Tony Kenobi wrote:
One of these days I'll go up there. Love the pic of Crater Lake. Can you see Rachor Lake by any chance?
Judging from firsthand experience, I don't think Rachor Lake is visible from the top of Dixie Peak. Crater Lake is definitely viewable... especially now when it is snow-covered and ice-covered. Speaking of Crater Lake, I also recommend a trek to Crater Lake Mountain, to the west of Dixie Peak and Crater Lake. It doesn't have the views of Dixie Peak (or its false summit), but it offers a location rarely visited by hikers. Just something to think about. Congrats, by the way, to MountainMan, for a good summit trip, report, and photos!!!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Yet

Yet
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 10:59 pm 
Nice job, MountainMan. up.gif smile.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Mar 17, 2009 7:00 am 
Obi Tony Kenobi wrote:
Cool trip report, I have never been up to Mt Si, I guess it's because it's so "peoplelized" for a lack of a better word. One of these days I'll go up there. Love the pic of Crater Lake. Can you see Rachor Lake by any chance? Congrats on your first Solo!
Go on a weekday morning or afternoon and it's much less peoplized however I suspect it may be impossible to not run into anybody. Or take the old trail for even more isolation. I took this during the week and probably saw about 6 people (at least until I joined up with the main trail just before the rocks). I ran into a guy a while back who said he has been up and down Si at all hours of the day/night/morning and never failed to see at least someone else on the trip. Even at like 2AM.

MountainMan

MountainMan
PostTue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 pm 
Redwic wrote:
I agree with EastKing. He & I did this peak together two weeks ago. The views from the northern false summit of Dixie Peak are MUCH more spectacular and far-ranging than from the true summit. A must do!!! The false summit has no tree-cover... You just have to pass by some trees immediately after the true summit, descend a little, and then ascend a little to a rocky false summit. Again, HIGHLY recommended to visit the false summit.
Man, now I wish I had tried to go down there. I tried to look down that way because we've been talking about doing a trip approaching from that direction and I wanted to get an idea of the conditions that way, but it was really hard too see anything. Anyway, checking out the false summit gives me that much more reason to go back!! up.gif Also, Tony no I couldn't see Rachor Lake, but here's a slightly closer pic of Crater Lake:
Crater Lake from the ridge south of Dixie.
Crater Lake from the ridge south of Dixie.

gone

gone
PostTue Mar 17, 2009 5:17 pm 
Well done! And a great report, with lots of details and pics to pour over! up.gif