Forum Index > Food & Grub > Pre-soaking h.b. and pasta??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 20, 2006 4:13 pm 
So I read somewhere about soaking pasta for a couple of hrs as you hike and have been meaning to try this but nver seem to do it! I supppose you would add boiling water anyway only in less ammounts, and the rei hash browns would be good to soak allso. anyone? ......gnomeeee

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Oct 20, 2006 5:07 pm 
It doen'st work, 'cause they're not cooked first. But no worries: Here's what you do: boil the noodles at home, then toss 'em on a dehydrator for 1/2 hour or however long it takes til they look like in the prepackaged dehydrated meals. They rehydrate within a few minutes at camp. If you don't have a dehydrator, experiement dehyrdation in your oven, or leave the cooked noods on a plate overnight, just like when you don't clean the kitchen & see how that works/ Dunno about the hash browns.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Oct 20, 2006 8:48 pm 
as Quark says, precook to just before al dente, then drain, rinse and dry. Come back with just boiling water added, and 5-10 minutes parked in said boiling water. It truly is instant pasta. Instant hash browns will come back with boiling water, and can be used in potato chowders. Otherwise, they still need to be cooked in a pan with oil to tatste like hash browns. Btw, ramen can also be "prepared" with boiling water and sitting for a couple minutes, then drained, and used instead of spaghetti.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Oct 21, 2006 1:51 am 
I've got the American Harvest dehydrator which I picked up a couple of months ago (to make home-made garlic powder, eegad peeling all those cloves was a pain and it took 3x as long to dry as the book said). Anyway, approx what temp would one dry the cooked pasta - 135? Trader Joe's carries an inexpensive line of organic whole wheat pasta I like, would be neat to try some meals with that on the trail. Also, what about drying cooked rice? tia!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Oct 21, 2006 7:42 am 
Kat, 135* is perfect. I'd go thru every hour or so and rotate the pasta so it evenly dries. As for rice, same thing. You'll want to go in and break up clumps with your fingers often. Drying on a very fine mesh screen or parchment paper is a good idea. As for rice, if you like wild rice, http://www.gourmethouserice.com/gourmethouserice/ makes an instant wild rice that is really good. QFC used to carry it, but it is also sold on Amazon. And it only needs boiling water added and be parked in a cozy for 10 minutes, just like instant brown rice.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Oct 21, 2006 7:43 am 
As for drying herbs and spices: blech. That is where I get mine from co-ops with good turn overs wink.gif Way easier. And cheaper. Garnulated garlic is really good, as is dried minced garlic.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Oct 21, 2006 7:55 am 
Thanks, Sarbar! I sense a trial run in the near future...

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Oct 21, 2006 8:00 am 
Kat, out of boredom, I have been adding drying pictorials to my website in the past couple months. They are here, about half way down the page: http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/gearstuff.htm

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Oct 22, 2006 5:23 pm 
why not buy fresh pasta instead (or make your own). then it takes only 3 minutes to cook. it is a bit heavier than the dried pasta, but it's a lot lighter (and a lot less dangerous) than pre-soaking it while you hike

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 22, 2006 6:00 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
why not buy fresh pasta instead (or make your own). then it takes only 3 minutes to cook. it is a bit heavier than the dried pasta, but it's a lot lighter (and a lot less dangerous) than pre-soaking it while you hike
Fresh pasta is good-but for trips over one night I wouldn't carry it (too heavy and it does spoil). The convience of precooked and dried pasta is that it only takes a few minutes and no draining to have hot pasta. It can be done in a pot, a freezer bag, a nalgene...whatever one has around-so you don't have to dedicate a pan and extra fuel to cooking it. No need to carry around the pasta either, 10 minutes in camp and you are good to go!

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Oct 23, 2006 11:27 am 
Take some FD Hashbrowns and just before you turn in add the water and soak. The next morning dump said hashbrowns into a pan, add omlette mix and scramble into a BIG tasty breakfast. P/S DON'T forget that cup of coffee.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard