Forum Index > Trail Talk > How Did You Find NWHikers?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 9:20 am 
We have had a lot of new members join this year. As the board nears its 5th Anniversary I though it would be fun to see how people found it. I used to lurk at the old WTA Trail Talk board. When I realized it was gone I emailed Bill at WTA and he sent me a link to the new board. I joined 6 weeks after the founding as the 75th member.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 9:57 am 
I stumbled across NWhikers while cruising one night. I lurked for about a year. I really didn't bond with the site until one day when frankm3 and Marylou were going at it big time. I was captivated like a junior high school kid unable to stay out of a food fight. And ever since then, I've clung to this site like peach cobbler clings to a fluorescent light fixture.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:06 am 
I found NWHikers after doing a Google search on Ross Lake and the North Cascades. I think my first post was a response to a thread started by Elvis. Happy Fifth Birthday to NWHikers!

Nomad

Nomad
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:11 am 
I found it when I was doing a Google search for secret hiking spots. naughty.gif Seriously, I did find it while getting info for a hike but I’m sure it wasn’t to any of those "controversial" places.

"Of all the fire mountains which, like beacons, once blazed along the Pacific Coast, Mount Rainier is the noblest." - John Muir "If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." - Anatole France
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:11 am 
I had been writing trip reports at WTA.org for about a year, but had never done any "chatting" or posted in any type of forum. I was googling one day, looking for information on wilderness hotsprings, and I found Vtrail, a site with some hike descriptions, including hotspring hikes. There was a link on the site labeled "Pacific NW Hikers Trail Chat", and that brought me here. Right away I knew I was "home". biggrin.gif

ree

ree
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:13 am 
I was searching for ghosttowns and mines in Washington state. I did a google search... and the thread about the Golden Tunnel mine came up. It was pretty funny because the thread was about how secret the mine was, and here it was, on google for millions to find.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:19 am 
The address was written above the urinal in a seedy bar huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:23 am 
Just two months ago, Googling for some planned hike, maybe South Fork Tieton, and a nwhikers TR came up. I'd been looking for a good place to post TR's and I did then post a few. Now I'm hooked on the social stew.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:25 am 
I first found this site when searching for info on the top secret spring fungi that shall remain nameless. Then I found it again when I was obsessively searching trip reports for hikes that I was looking for current info on. I became fascinated with the Wolf thread and now I'm hooked.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Skinem

Skinem
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:27 am 
I hate being "hilled"! smile.gif Found it doing a google search for Pasayten...

Earth First! We'll strip mine the rest of the galaxy later. They call me the thread killer...
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:33 am 
Putz-in-Boots wrote:
I found it through the back door route...if I told you...I'd have to kill(*) you... clown.gif Yet another spelling mistake. SpellCheck sucks!
You could tell us and then kill yourself! Nobody ever mentions that route. I believe I was hanging around V-Trail and moved over when this place was created..... I think anyway.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Skinem

Skinem
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:39 am 
Putz-in-Boots wrote:
I found it through the back door route...if I told you...I'd have to kill(*) you... clown.gif Yet another spelling mistake. SpellCheck sucks!
Ooohhhh...KILL! Well, that's MUCH worse than being "hilled". smile.gif

Earth First! We'll strip mine the rest of the galaxy later. They call me the thread killer...
LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:48 am 
I'm a newby who found NWHikers in the aftermath of the Cooper/Stoddard tragedy. I've stuck with it though because it's such an excellent site. The moderators seem to do a good job of keeping the posts from descending too much in to personal attack mode. It's quite educational to see such diverse views among hikers. Fun site! Thanks!

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"
hermes

hermes
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:54 am 
I was lost in the Teanaway when Cscdhkr introduced me to this forum as well as telling me where I really was!

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:58 am 
I was referred here by a friend tundra.

Honey Badger Don't Care!