Forum Index > Trail Talk > How Did You Find NWHikers?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 6:31 pm 
lol.gif Jim, YOU told me about it. I linked to your website off of a trip report you posted on WTA (which I've been reading and posting to for years), and emailed you a question. You responded with some helpful info, including a link here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 7:03 pm 
I used to always check out the WTA forum but when it disappeared I found out that several WTA'ers had created their own site, this one. I joined as member #88. Its been a great site and some of the photography and trip reports are second to none. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 7:23 pm 
ayayayayay-ayay. I just spent 5 minutes of my life tracking down my membership number. These are the proverbial 5 *additional* minutes that I'll never get back wink.gif dizzy.gif clown.gif But back to the topic: I am surprised that, given that this board is just about 5 years old, I'm only member #1278 In addition, so many people join nwhikers and post 0 posts. ZERO ! what's up with that?!?! What attracted me to NWHikers was Google (as previously stated) what got me to create an account with an avatar and a 'dilettante' descriptor was the mature yet mostly laid-back nature of discussions. What keeps me returning here is the quality of information that continues to be shared here (yes Elvis you ARE a contributor!). I share the passion that NWHikers have for the beautiful wilderness we play in. And I continue to be amused, awed, impressed, and bowled over by the courage, talent , perseverance and artistry of the hikers, mountaineers and photographers in our little group.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 7:30 pm 
I was the 219th person to join up. That puts me solidly in the top 10% as far as "length of service". I can't believe it's been almost four years. Out of the 218 people "ahead" of me, only two have zero posts. That stat has zero significance to anything. dizzy.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 7:47 pm 
VTrail helped me find this place.

Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 7:48 pm 
I was looking for current trail conditions for the Enchanted Valley trail. Can't get rid of me now (No matter how hard you try tongue.gif ) biggrin.gif ! The past 2 seasons have been the best ever. I have grown and learned so much from you folks here. I have also met some of the most amazing people and partners. And hell, the place is just plain fun! agree.gif up.gif

Andrew

Andrew
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 7:59 pm 
I think my brother informed me, but he registered after I did, so I am clueless. smile.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 8:41 pm 
I was looking for a group of people that had similar hobbies ( hiking, music and protesting the fee demo ). Plus, the ice is melting at the North Pole. At least there are still glaciers in the Cascades.

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 8:42 pm 
#32. I'm one of the Originals. But then we had to change it to the New Originals, because there was already a band called the Originals.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 8:49 pm 
Dang, I had no idea this site was still in it's infancy when I joined up. I was # 156 here. Marylou quickly scared me off for a while at least (about 2 years). I was so new to hiking when I first came here looking for advice and information that I asked dumb questions, got accused of being a troll and after a while just didn't sign on for a while. I had just moved here from the SE and was going through an adjustment period. It wasn't in my best interest to put myself in the position of possible ridicule. lol.gif Things around here have changed quite a bit but have not changed so much if that makes any sense to anyone.

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller

PostSun Oct 29, 2006 8:57 pm 
Member 19. Proudly, the most miscreant of the bunch. mad.gif Like the other originals, we didn't actually come directly from the old Trail Talk on WTA. For some months after somebody's actions shut down WTA, MtnGoat provided a forum, which I was happy to find and really enjoyed. I think scrooge collected email addresses and after Mtngoats site ended, Tom and Mcaver got this site going. Five years is a long time in InternetS years. I've always thought there should be something on the top bar that links to a brief history of the site.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 8:57 pm 
I'm one of the old school losers too. I'm too lazy to check out my number, but I'm under number 20. I remember when the two guys who run the site showed up on the scene. Tom had just moved back to the area from Virginia, and Mcaver showed up from Texas of all places. We decided to keep him instead of letting Texas have him back. I'm trying to remember who showed up at the very first Ice Cream Social at the Hale's Brewery, I'm thinking it was me and my husband du jour, Erik the Nav and his SO from way long ago, and mmmayybee a guy called Mountain Goat. I would like to officially take credit for Seawall's 'dilletante' moniker, because IIRC it was one of my sarcastic remarks that pinned her as one of them types. Not that I know what that word actually means or anything. hihi.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 9:02 pm 
I'm member #1. biggrin.gif Thanks to Scrooge, MtnGoat and Tom, otherwise there wouldn't be a NWHikers. They kept things going until this site could be set up.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 9:03 pm 
Who is #007?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 9:08 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Who is #007?
I am. moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln