Forum Index > Trail Talk > has anyone ever seen Mountain Quail in western WA?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 11:40 am 
I've read that there are Mountain Quail (Oreortyx pictus) in Western Washington around Shelton and Kitsap County. This is a different species that California or Valley Quail (which I hear there are some in Seattle).
Birdweb.org says "Mountain Quail are uncommon to rare in shrubby vegetation in the southwestern portion of the Kitsap Peninsula (Kitsap County), and toward Elma (Grays Harbor County) into Thurston and Mason Counties". Mountain quail in western WA and western OR usually reside in thick, dense, brushy clearcuts and old burns, not places most hikers hang out. But, a hiker could see them while driving through timberland to reach a trailhead. I've seen Mountain Quail in heavily logged timberlands in the Cascade foothills east of Salem, OR. The climate and vegetation is not all that different east of Salem than around Shelton. All of the mountain quail I've seen were in southwest Oregon and some in central Oregon. Have you ever seen them in these areas? What were they doing? How many? What time of the year and day was it? I'm not asking for hunting purposes. They're not worth anyone's time to hunt since they're so uncommon. I'm just fascinated by the presence of Mountain Quail in Western WA and want to hear firsthand accounts of any sightings.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
greg

greg
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 11:47 am 
Haven't seen 'em but I understand there is a herd on the lower Hamma Hamma River. Check Tweeters and its links and you'll find some info: http://www.scn.org/tweeters/.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 11:51 am 
Tweeters
Thanks for the link. I've never heard of Tweeters. I'm try to improve my birding skills and lengthen my species list. It looks like a good resource. Yeah, I could see a covey of Mountain Quail living in the lower Hamma Hamma. It seems like Westside Mountain Quail habitat.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
greg

greg
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 11:56 am 
You'll need this site then too: http://www.birdweb.org/birdweb/index.aspx

salish

salish
PostSat Nov 04, 2006 3:31 pm 
A buddy of mine has seen them east of Shelton towards Mt. Rainier.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostMon Nov 06, 2006 2:47 pm 
I think that I say them up on 3 Finger unless they were something else...

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
briejer

briejer
PostTue Nov 07, 2006 12:28 pm 
My parents have them in thier back yard in Seabeck.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 2:02 am 
Quote:
My parents have them in thier back yard in Seabeck
briejer: Where's Seabeck? Did they have a straight topknot like a ! or a crurved top knot like a ? Except for maybe California or southwest Oregon, those quail are probably California or "Valley" quail, not Mountain quail. California quail do well in suburban environments. Used to see many of them when we lived in a town in central Oregon. I also saw a California quail near Portland from the MAX line near Beaverton.
Quote:
up on 3 Finger
GlacierGlider: Where's 3 Finger? Do you mean 3 Fingered Jack in the Oregon Cascades near MacKenzie and Santiam passes?

briejer

briejer
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 10:24 am 
Seabeck is on the hood Canal. Thier home is in the middle of the woods in an old tree farm, thick huck an salal. They are mountian quail. My dad is really into the whole birding thing and a few years ago it was published somewhere that he had mountian quail and there were tons of folks coming over to see the quail. They live in this General area, and this site mentions the Mountian quail in the area http://www.wildliferecreation.org/wwrp-projects/projects/stavis-nrca-riparian-2006

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 2:06 pm 
briejer: Yup, Hood Canal that's Mountain Quail country alright; according to the stuff I've read. Had to ask since it's common for people to mistake Mountain Quail for California quail. Thanks for the link. up.gif