Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > web design question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Mar 17, 2003 10:51 pm 
I'd like to make some buttons have the hover effect. I've searched all over the web and I keep seeing that it's a java thing. I'm so confused because I thought I saw somewhere that there was simple html code for that. I have no clue what java is, what it means, or how I would need to use it in my page! Would I have to completely redo my web pages in another language just to make my buttons hover? Please help. All I want is html code for it, if there is such a thing! waah.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Mar 17, 2003 11:07 pm 
What kind of hover effect do you mean? I've seen text displayed on the status bar at the bottom of the browser window. Is that what you had in mind? I can dig up examples from my old websites, if so.

Fox

Fox
PostMon Mar 17, 2003 11:45 pm 
Hey Cat, If you like the hover style on Peak List, then do a file source thingie, or look at this code (which goes near the top of your web document):
Code:
<style> A:link {background:white; color:blue; text-decoration:none} A:visited {background:white; color:blue; text-decoration:none} A:active {background:white; color:blue; text-decoration:none} A:hover {background:blue; color:white; text-decoration:none} </style>

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 12:52 am 
What Fox said only applies to text (but it's still neat). If you want to do images, it's a bit more complicated. If you don't have any experience with Javascript, rollovers may be a little intimidating. Tutorial http://www.htmlcenter.com/tutorials/tutorials.cfm/79/Javascript/ (If you want more, search for "image rollovers tutorials" or something to that extent).

Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 1:19 am 
Well, I suppose it's technically just text, but you can get fairly creative with the :hover psuedo-class in CSS. It's also possible to do real image rollovers with pure CSS using a transparent gif and the background-image property. Example. It's kind of tweaky, but at least it doesn't involve Javascript! Yay! And then there's the option of not doing image rollovers at all. Yay yay! biggrin.gif

# Stomp (fifty score key-tapping monkeys)
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 11:59 am 
Can't this just be a simple html code? I've got 3 images for a button. I've got the normal button, the hovered over button, and the pressed down button.

Fox

Fox
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 12:09 pm 
Time for you to get a book on HTML.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 12:16 pm 
You need to use javascript (not the same as java). There are many tutorials on the net like the one Sore Feet linked to above. Here is another one... http://www.beginnersjavascript.co.uk/practical/imageswap.html

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 12:17 pm 
I have a HUGE book on html but I don't see anything about hovering buttons in it.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 12:20 pm 
You can't do it in standard HTML. It will have to be in something like JavaScript or style sheets as per the examples above.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 1:26 pm 
Doing a three image rollover is also significantly more complicated than doing a two image rollover. The best way to do rollovers without having to worry about the coding is with either Photoshop, Fireworks or Dreamweaver. Both Photoshop and Fireworks create all the code for you when you save the image(s), and Dreamweaver has a nifty little wizard that adds the rollover functionality in about 5 seconds. If you've never done rollovers before, I suggest not trying to do a three state rollover, you'd probably go bald from yankin' all you hair out because the code didn't work. You can download a free 30 day trial of Fireworks (at www.macromedia.com), but you have to make an account with them (free - but have an alternate email that you don't mind getting spammed at).

Mr. HTML

Mr. HTML
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 1:46 pm 
*deleted by mod*

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 2:10 pm 
I have photoshop but how does it do the code for me? Mr Html - You don't have to answer the question if you don't want to help! But keep your rude comments to yourself, please! If you only had a clue......

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 8:51 pm 
Couldn't you use an animated gif for the button? Just add in a few layers.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 9:29 pm 
A rollover plus clicked image is entirely possible (even easy) with style sheets, and has the advantage of being completely standard official HTML. Here's another quick example I threw together: Rollover and clicky button Vive la standards compliance.

# Stomp (fifty score key-tapping monkeys)