Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > mobbed by pop-ups
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 8:40 pm 
Help! I need a good pop-up blocker! I litterally feel like I'm being assaulted for being on the web with all the pop-ups lately! Anybody know of a good one (free)?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mb

mb
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 8:47 pm 
visit www.smartin-designs.com for a hosts file which blocks many irritating ads. pop-ups may still pop, but will often be empty. or popupstopper (popupstopper.com, has a free version) and many more.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 8:52 pm 
Try Using Mozilla (free) http://www.mozilla.org/ as a browser, you can also use norton Internet Security if you insist on IE.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 10:09 pm 
Norton Internet Security is fantastic, although the 2002 version was easier to configure for specific websites than 2003.

Pop Warmer

Pop Warmer
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 10:52 pm 
Once I went on a backpack trip with my football buddies. I made some weisenheimer comment in the morning and was mobbed by pop-tarts in my pup tent. So I'm looking for a pop-tart blocker. By the way, being mobbed by pop-ups is not as bad as doing 15 pull-ups.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Mar 20, 2003 12:04 am 
I recommend Pop-Up Stopper Free from PanicWare. Adds a small icon in your taskbar with a red X through it to indicate it's blocking pop-ups. You can double-click on the icon to re-enable them temporarily, or hold down the Control key to enable pop-ups momentarily. Michael

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 20, 2003 12:25 am 
Pop up stopper really blows for links that open up in a new window. Any way to disable it for that?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Mar 20, 2003 12:34 am 
Pop-up Stopper is great, imo. If you wanna open a new window, hold down Control while clicking the link. It however, does not kill Flash popups at the moment (but fortunately, they aren't that much of a widespread nuisance just yet).

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Mar 20, 2003 8:47 am 
I downloaded pop-up stopper. I guess I'll see how it goes. And I'll have to remember the control button thing.

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Mar 20, 2003 10:21 am 
So far so good. And I haven't had a problem with clicking on links - not even needing to use the control key.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Mar 20, 2003 10:23 am 
Woo hoo! Sounds like another satisfied customer! wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostThu Mar 20, 2003 10:24 am 
I use Norton Internet Security (2000), but I still get pop-ups. But it definitely rocks as far as blocking ads while I surf. While I was surfing this forum, I had an attempted attack - one of those backdoor sub-seven Trojan horse programs attempting to access an unused port. I don't know where these come from, but about once a month, I get one of these things. Anyone know anything about these? I've also noticed that when I download something for free, I'll start getting bombarded by their "mailing list" of "upgrade now to the latest and greatest" pop-up ads, and any other company they happen to sell their IP addresses to.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Mar 20, 2003 10:37 am 
Two questions for you: Regarding getting portscanned, have you thought about getting a hardware based firewall? With the number of vulnerabilities that have been/will be found in Microsoft's software and services, I might recommend going with an external box to add a layer of protection from the outside world. They're fairly cheap these days. Your second comment sounds more like you're referring to spam than pop-up ads. In that case, just make sure you give tossable addresses anytime you register freeware. If you're referring to something else, you may have installed more than you bargained for with those "free" packages. They're typically bundled with spyware that watch where you surf and allow the advertising you receive to be targeted to your perceived interests. If that's the case, I'd recomend checking out LavaSoft's Ad-aware and see if it can't remove or detect any spyware installed on your machine. Michael

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 20, 2003 11:31 am 
MounTAIN Woman wrote:
While I was surfing this forum, I had an attempted attack - one of those backdoor sub-seven Trojan horse programs attempting to access an unused port.
We don't do anything so it wouldn't have been related to this forum or site. Are you talking about "messenger service" pop ups? Those are coming thru your IP connection (they are not related to the site you are browsing - rather, someone is spamming your ISP).

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Mar 20, 2003 11:46 am 
I use Norton Internet Security as an ad-blocker/firewall, Norton Anti-Virus for virus protection, Ad-Aware to clean up what gets through, and SpamNet for spam blocking and I've found them to be a pretty good combined defense. I see very few online ads or popups, and 80+% of the 2000 spams/week I get are instantly deleted. About once a week I'll run Ad-Aware to check my system, usually just cleaning up cookies. Just FYI, a vast majority of those "attempted attacks" that NIS reports are probably mis-classified. NIS doesn't really know what is hitting your computer, but where it's hitting you (i.e. what port number) and it uses that to classify the "attack" based on what is known to use that port. So just because something hit you on a specific port doesn't mean it was necessarily what NIS said it was. It could be anything, really. But that doesn't mean you should give it up. Anyone with a persistent internet conenction (DSL, cable modem, etc) should have some kind of software firewall. Hardware firewalls are overkill for 99.99% of the people, IMO.