Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Washington Highways in the 19-teens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostTue Mar 25, 2003 11:38 pm 
I found an interesting map in the Northwest Room of the Everett Library (which is in the southwest corner, but let's not digress). It shows the highways in about 1919. A gravel road went through Snoqualmie Pass. Several railroads, including the Everett and Monte Cristo, one through Stevens and Snoqualmie... ... but the interesting "roads" were the planned highways through the northern Cascades. One went from Marblemount to Twisp. A little hard to tell, but I believe it went through Cascade Pass. Another road off this one went to the north end of Lake Chelan. Too bad they weren't built -- it would have gotten us earlier access to Sahale Arm.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 4:25 am 
Here's a scan of one from 1931. Marked up by the highway dept. Sorry if it's too big Tom. NN
WA State Hwy Map 1931 Front
WA State Hwy Map 1931 Front

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
REJ

REJ
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 8:31 am 
There is some information and maps on the history of Washington State Highways at WDOT Library

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mal Con

Mal Con
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 9:16 am 
An excellent reference to go with the map is Washington from the state series written by the Writers Project of the WPA during the depression. It lists each of the highways by route and has a description of each of the towns along the way and a brief history.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster