Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 11:10 pm 
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery" - Bob Marley Date: December 12, 2010
Although this video was a reinactment of when I went swimming earlier today, it was a slower process before actually going in all the way. The video is a bit different from the actual first times I went in, the video was taken later in the day when the water was slightly warmer.
This weekend I had some interesting stuff go on, the weather was not ideal nor conditions, and there was a nwhikers social which made any overnight trip not possible. I had a fun time at the social, but came home still unsatisfied, or at least the adventurous side of me. After church I decided I wanted to do something new, something adventurous. I remember seeing on nwhikers a photo of some guy swimming in a cold looking lake, I decided that should be my challenge of the day, swimming in cold water.
It wasn't as easy as I had hoped it would be, I knew it would not be easy. I planned on swimming at least a mile, but sadly that never came true. When arriving at the lake I took off my clothes except my swimming trunks, the cold water made my feet go numb very fast. When I got to knee deep it was painful to go any further, and I was forced to retreat. When I got back I thought to myself "This seemed a little crazy", but then I thought back to people who do this stuff and thought "well I'm not the only one". I looked back at the water and started talking to myself, I had to convince myself to go back in, this time to go at least waist deep. Why was I doing this, to see how far I can bend my natural will to do something out of the usual. One could call it mental training, "I'm sure they did it in the olden days" I thought to myself. I went back in, except this time went in all the way, I could feel the coldness surging through my body, and I could feel my heart racing, and it becoming harder to breathe. I immediatly wondered if this is something that is not good for me, after all loosing feeling when mountaineering is not something good. I then swam back to shore, which I was shivering cold and I could feel the pulsing of cold pains all over my body. When I could finally feel enough so that I had the burning pains, it had a strange good feeling at the same time. Even as I type this now hours later I'm still feeling the effects of the cold, wearing double sweat pants and a down jacket still feeling cold. My brother explained about "chill to the bone" and that when you see those photos of people swimming in ice lakes, he bets they did not stay in for a long time. This was an interesting experience, it's not as easy as it looks. If you don't believe me, I dare you to go jump in a lake during this December and tell me how nice and "warm" you felt. wink.gif As for the video, I self recorded it, which was my first multi-video so that might explain the lack of quality if some of you mind. embarassedlaugh.gif Here's some more photos of Lake Serene I took at different times:
I certainly learned that cold water is not very comfortable. lol.gif Now I know the value of warm shower and warm mac and cheese which I had afterwards.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 11:49 pm 
Your writing is improving, Josh. Keep at it! smile.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 11:55 pm 
Okay, Josh, looks like you should be ready to join Bobbi on New Years Day, for the annual Polar Bear Triple Dip, over at Port Angeles (I think). She's done it more recently than this, but I can't find the TR. Anyway, she invites us to join her, every year, but so far nobody's taken her up on it. ....... Sounds like it was made for you. wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Dec 13, 2010 12:19 am 
Water's just right.
Water's just right.
I think that photo of some guy simming in cold water was Matt Probably a good time to point out that no one really swims in water that cold. It's more of a quick dip in and out. In ice water were talking hypothermic in two maybe three minutes. Be carefull!

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 13, 2010 12:46 am 
you just need to take a tip from Trudy Ederle: cover yourself with sheep grease - the secret of success for Channel swimmers! ( scroll down about halfway on that page for the photo of Trudy and her trainer. )

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
EJ

EJ
PostMon Dec 13, 2010 1:23 am 
Brrr! Reading and watching your adventure made me cold! I like your pictures of Lake Serene at different times.

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostMon Dec 13, 2010 2:05 pm 
Bahaha this was happens when you leave Josh in the City for too long wink.gif I was pretty impressed with the way you put that video together. I want to see more of these!

North by Northwest
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Dec 13, 2010 7:00 pm 
Thanks Collin! biggrin.gif I learned a bit about video making when doing this, it stitched better than I had expected although I still could do better on the video part. I thought about doing something today but it got dark early and all the rain did not sound like fun. Besides school work. rolleyes.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Dec 13, 2010 9:46 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
Okay, Josh, looks like you should be ready to join Bobbi on New Years Day, for the annual Polar Bear Triple Dip, over at Port Angeles (I think). She's done it more recently than this, but I can't find the TR. Anyway, she invites us to join her, every year, but so far nobody's taken her up on it. ....... Sounds like it was made for you. wink.gif
congratulations, Josh! welcome to the Polar Bear Club! do you know the temperature of Lake Serene? i'm psyching myself for the upcoming polar bear triple dip! bbbuuurrrrr! cool.gif Polar Bear Triple Dip, Hollywood Beach, Port Angeles 1.1.11 10am see you there!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 13, 2010 9:48 pm 
sounds like a good excuse for a nwhikers social.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Dec 13, 2010 9:54 pm 
Awesome Josh! It reminds me of when I used to go skiing in my boxers. Nice videography and transitions. up.gif

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Dec 13, 2010 10:38 pm 
bobbi wrote:
Polar Bear Triple Dip, Hollywood Beach, Port Angeles 1.1.11 10am
Sounds like fun, the hard part is it would be a bit epic biking from Lynnwood, swimming in super cold water, then biking back home soaking wet and cold. I could do it, but I hope I don't get sick in the process. lol.gif @Layback: Thanks! I some day want to make a movie of extreme adventures and things to do. Special Thanks to Daryl for the new camera I have which takes decent video. Now I'm going to have to practice more with video and photos! cool.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Dec 13, 2010 10:47 pm 
start your own 'lake serene polar bear dip/plunge/swim' on new year's day. if friends/family join in.....they are on their own as in, at their own risk! remind them of this tidbit. remove all wet items asap! have a bath robe/jacket ready for afterwards. if you ride your bike home, have those toe/hand/body warmers on you. should make it warmer until you take your hot shower/bath.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Dec 13, 2010 10:50 pm 
Thanks for the advice. I had no towel because I figured "I'll rough it", also next time I think I'll take a bath next time rather than a shower, a shower was great, but not very long lasting (I like saving water). That's a great idea! I hope I'm not the only one going. lol.gif

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostWed Dec 15, 2010 11:12 pm 
Let me know if I'm invited. When I did the John Muir Trail with Charybdis this summer I swam about 100 feet in an alpine lake on Bighorn Plateau (11,000'). It may have been 78 degrees out but that water was not warm at all! I think I'll try a practice swim in Lake Serene just to be safe. Awsome report. I loved how the video came out! Please, PLEASE practice doing this! I think I see some talent there.