Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Seahawks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostThu Oct 28, 2021 1:57 pm 
2021- Mahomes - 45M Allen - 43M Prescott - 40M Watson - 39M Wilson - 35M Rogers - 33.5M Goff - 33.5M Cousins - 33M Wentz - 32M Ryan - 30M Tannehill - 29.5M Garoppolo - 27.5M Stafford - 27M Carr - 25M Brady - 25M Some pedestrian QBs are also making very good money. But yeah, big contracts hurt any team. The Hawks could have put the 10M (difference between Wilson and Brady) to good use elsewhere on the field.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Oct 28, 2021 3:28 pm 
Garoppolo and Goff might just be the two most over-paid people in the world. Stafford is a bargain right now comparably.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostThu Oct 28, 2021 5:29 pm 
Not sure where you get your stats from, but they appear to be inaccurate. For example: Patrick Mahomes 2021 cap hit is 7.5 mil One of the great cons in sports is billionaire, w/a B, owners tricking fans into thinking salary cap is about competition. It's really anti-capitalist wage suppression. In a free market, the players we all like to watch and talk isht about, would make a lot more money. Being a US football fan is like being a fan of communism. Every team is equal, gets an equal share of national TV revenue and is allowed to spend equal resources by the salary cap. Plus gov't kickbacks and handouts pay for the stadiums. And publicly funded colleges develop the talent, for free. I don't understand why Americans advocate for communist business practices in the sports entertainment sector? Commissioner Goodell feels left out. He wants in on the most overpaid in NFL discussion.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Oct 28, 2021 6:21 pm 
As I said, the problem with having no salary cap is the the big market teams with free spending owners typically dominate. George Steinbrenner for example did not really care how much he spent as long as the team was winning. Teams like the Twins and Padres for example really good not compete and served more as minor league teams for the big market teams. The Twins have historically had a great farm system and developed some really good players, but as soon as their rookie contracts were up they were off to the Yankees, Dodgers, Etc.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 30, 2021 8:51 am 
I worked in the North East for ten plus years. While I am in NO WAY a Pats fan, It never stops amazing me how Bellchick was able to do what he did. In this climate his success has been amazing.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Oct 30, 2021 10:19 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
It never stops amazing me how Bellchick was able to do what he did.
It's called Tom Brady.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Oct 30, 2021 11:30 am 
Right and Brady has always structured his contract so that the Salary Cap hit doesn't affect the team as much and maybe he even makes a bit less money because winning is very important to him, maybe more than some others.

borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostSat Oct 30, 2021 12:49 pm 
Not to mention he makes more on endorsements than his football salary and his wife made more than him for a large part of his career and maybe still. I always marvel at players in all sports who say it's not about money, it's about respect (or not being disrespected), but then they measure respect in dollars!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Oct 31, 2021 11:46 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
It never stops amazing me how Bellchick was able to do what he did.
It's called Tom Brady.
One man does not a team make, specially football. Its amazing in this free agent climate he was able to create championship teams so many years.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 31, 2021 2:59 pm 
The Hawks finally found the answer, that being to play a College level 'NFL' team, lol. First TD, running straight up the gut 3 times, then a QB sneak that barely made it, such amazing creativity! clown.gif

reststep

reststep
PostSun Oct 31, 2021 4:37 pm 
You can say what you want about running the football but in that super bowl game I wish they had run it. They may have won the game.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 6:25 am 
reststep wrote:
in that super bowl game I wish they had run it
Well, I don't. During the regular season running it at the goal line had had pretty poor results (I can't remember the stats right now). Before the play, I was saying please, please, don't run it! You could argue that if Russell Wilson hadn't led the receiver with his pass - probably a bad choice in a congested field - but thrown the ball at the left hip the pass would have worked, and would definitely not have been intercepted. Edit: By the way reststep, I'm not really discounting what you, a person who's familiar with the Seahawks, are saying. I'm just flustered with the lazy national perspective.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

borank
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 8:11 am 
I pretty much agree, it wasn't so much the pass play, but the TYPE of pass play, for instance a corner timing route where the chances of an INT would have been much less. If that failed, then I would say run Lynch again on 3rd down. But, as they say, "Hindsight is 20/20".

GaliWalker
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostTue Nov 02, 2021 1:50 am 
Since you guys are reliving the moment years later, I'd like to remind you that there were a few other mistakes by the Seahawks in that Superbowl loss. 1. Doug Baldwin's end zone celebration. Pooping out a football in front a billion viewers is never a good look. The penalty led to a short field and a touchdown for the Pat's. Bush league demonstrations like that only fire up the opposing team. 2. Pete having to burn a timeout after a lengthy review of the miraculous Kearse catch. Was he just too caught up in the excitement of the moment? You can bet that the opposing coach used that time more wisely. 3. Russell and/or Pete's inability to change the play call when the Pat's chose NOT put their goal line defense on the field for that fateful play from the one. A running play would have had more success - especially if Pete had that other timeout. Credit Bill Belichek. A comedy of errors against an elite team. I remember it well since I won the pot! Picked the exact score. Seahawks chance of making the playoffs this year just got a lot tougher. Von Miller is now a L.A. Ram.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Nov 02, 2021 2:34 am 
How accurate was your SB prediction the previous year? hmmm.gif Good to see the Rams mortgaging the future.

Fletcher