Forum Index > Photography Talk > G3 Viewfinder
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 9:38 am 
While looking thru the viewfinder, not LCD, I noticed that the barrel of the lens shows in the lower left corner when zoomed out. I usually don't use this finder so haven't noticed it before. Anyone else notice this? Is it my camera or did I screw it up somehow? TIA N confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 12:53 pm 
Completely normal. Your delay in noticing this illustrates how non-critical the optical viewfinder is thanks to the flip out LCD (which I use almost 100% of the time for framing shots).

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 3:00 pm 
Thanks Tom. That flip out, multi position LCD is the only way to go IMO N smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 3:57 pm 
My pack weight was getting too low so I've got a 10D on order. I'm gonna miss the flip out LCD. bawl.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 4:58 pm 
My Olympus E-10 has a flipout LCD that is good for reviewing a photo after capture, but I shutter to think of having to compose using it. huh.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 5:44 pm 
MCaver, that's ok, you don't know what you're missing. wink.gif Keep in mind the Gx's LCD...
  • flips out and twists allowing you to shoot from virtually any position (now you know how I shot those winter aerials)
  • has an anti-reflective coating that allows shooting in bright sunlight (yeah I know you are a forest vampire tongue.gif)
  • captures 99.99% of the actual frame
On digital SLRs (as opposed to consumer digicams like the G3) the LCD is only used for reviewing pics. They don't show a "live" preview when shooting. My understanding is this has to do with needing to maximize use of available light coming thru the lens. If I recall correctly the E10, is a pseudo SLR that uses a prism to split the light, allowing for LCD preview while shooting. See this illustration.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 6:05 pm 
Belittle my camera all you want, I'd still hate to have to use an LCD to compose, no matter how close to 100% it gets. wink.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 6:12 pm 
No belittling intended, even if it has a tiny sensor for a SLR. wink.gif As they say, knowing what to do with it is more important than size. winksmile.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 6:56 pm 
Tom wrote:
My pack weight was getting too low so I've got a 10D on order. I'm gonna miss the flip out LCD. bawl.gif
Pretty lame excuse if you ask me. N biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 7:25 pm 
Actually I saw a deal that was too good to pass up (yes, my weak point). The pinko devilsmile.gif on my left shoulder presented a more convincing argument than the spelling challenged angel.gif on my right.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 8:07 pm 
Tom wrote:
No belittling intended, even if it has a tiny sensor for a SLR. wink.gif
Hey, my camera is over 2 years old now. In the digital world, that's an antique! tongue.gif
Tom wrote:
As they say, knowing what to do with it is more important than size. winksmile.gif
Yea, I wish. embarassedlaugh.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 8:10 pm 
Tom wrote:
I've got a 10D on order.
Wow, 1/4000 sec shutter speed. Very nice. up.gif I'm hoping that when I finally get to the point to upgrade my camera the 8mp will be affordable.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 10:05 pm 
ppttthhh, high shutter speed. tongue.gif Now why would that even register with a slow shutter waterfall guy? To me the big advantage of DSLRs (in addition to lens flexibility and higher quality optics) is the ability to shoot at high ISO sensitivities with minimal if any noise (due to their larger sensors). Check out this comparison of relative sizes:
Sensor Size Comparison
Sensor Size Comparison

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 10:23 pm 
The main reason I agree with MCavar on sole use of the LCD to compose and shoot an image is that this naturally breaks every rule in successful hand-holding technique for best tack-sharp image results. If using a tripod, then I will use the LCD much more...but holding a camera out in front of you to compose looking at the LCD will take away a lot of the benefits of using your body as a tripod in hand-held shots. Luckily using the LCD to compose whacky and wonderful angles from ground level can be achieved most of the time by resting the camera and your arms on the ground to create a solid "tripod" to get a sharp image. Way to go Tom on the 10D!! Maybe I should buy one for a backup camera, and then buy a stockpile of Canon lenses too so I can take both Nikon and Canon lens sets in the field, two or four camera bodies, and enjoy the 88lb pack??! smile.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Apr 04, 2003 11:07 pm 
Tom wrote:
ppttthhh, high shutter speed. tongue.gif Now why would that even register with a slow shutter waterfall guy?
Hey! Don't pigeon-hole me! I'm not all rivers and falls, you know! dizzy.gif I like flexibility. With a wide range of apertures, you have more tools at your disposal to get the image you want. I did notice the 30 sec shutter speed as well. cool.gif