Forum Index > Trail Talk > OLN TV - Outdoor Life Network...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jan 15, 2002 10:05 pm 
So here I am sitting on my butt after class on your average evening, putting off my homework, channel surfing and briefly see what looks to be a hiking show. So I watched for a while. It was, and even better, they were doing a segment on the area around Umpqua Hot Springs. I had never heard of this channel before (Outdoor Life Network), but it looks like there could be some cool shows for those of you who have it. I looked on their site, which isn't very helpful for determining what shows they have, but I think the one I watched was called "Trailside", it's on at 8:30 every night (Channel 34, though it probably depends on your provider). Anyway, if anyone knows of anything else good on here, let us know...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 15, 2002 11:20 pm 
I'm not a hunter but I always get a kick out of "hunting with hank".

salish

salish
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 6:48 am 
Sore Feet: OLN has been a mainstay in my surfing for about four years now. Their schedules change often enough so that they keep you wondering when your favorite shows will be on, as well as always finding new shows. They do have a web site that gives program information. There are show for hikers (Great Hikes) and climbers (High Country Climber) as well as Trailside and Kayak & Canoe magazine, Mountain biking, etc. They also have a program called Gear Guide that covers just about all outdoor activities, for us gear freaks. Even tho I commute to work by bike and love bicycles, I think they lean too heavily on bicycle racing, but that's just my opinion. Unlike Tom I am an upland bird hunter, and it was by watching Hunting with Hank that I bought my Llewellin Setter almost three years ago. My boy is a half brother to Hank. There are a lot of good shows on this channel. Enjoy. Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 12:19 pm 
I get two outdoor channels over here in the outback, OLN and then another one that seems to be oriented more to hunting--they show some stuff that I angers me--guys sitting around in heated buildings in comfy chairs waiting for Mr. Grain Fed Deer to come strolling by. OLN is good, though.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 1:00 pm 
I agree with the hunting stuff. Sitting in a little heated tent for hours, waiting to kill a passing animal isn't a sport, it's barbaric (in my opinion). I suppose if you're gonna eat the animal that's at least a little better. But I think if someone wants to shoot at moving targets, go skeet shooting. :angry: tongue.gif BTW - Salish, OLN's website isn't exactly helpful in telling what is on in the long run...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 2:01 pm 
In all fairness to our hunting brethren here, I think you guys may be overgeneralizing things a teeny bit tongue.gif.

salish

salish
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 2:15 pm 
Sore Feet - no, it's not the best in that regard, but at least it's something. Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 3:09 pm 
I am the hunting brethren-and I'm not generalizing about some of the hunting shows--there's one Trophy Buck Hunters and those guys actually sit in a heated building-lounging on soft backed chairs-they're on some game farm somewhere where the animals are being specifically bred for antler characteristics, specially fed--it's about as sporting as going into to someone's field and shooting their cows. Most of those types of shows are pimping somebody's 'hunting' lodge or guide service--I'm about as serious a hunter as a guy can be and calling this garbage 'hunting' really fires me up--This is not what's hunting about.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
salish

salish
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 3:37 pm 
Tom, I hunt deer occasionally, too, and I agree with DSlayer. I too have problems with those types of "hunting" situations. I have similar feelings for Bassmasters and other competitive fishing organizations where the goal is to catch as many fish as quickly as possible, then win a cash prize, followed by a million dollars in endorsements. To these guys the fish is the moral equivalent of a hot dog. I know several people, most of them native americans, who hunt does and cow elk strictly for the meat, which they've been doing for thousands of years. A by product of this is that there is no big need to kill an animal with a huge rack. So there's no "trophy" fever. Salish