Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Privatizing the public domain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostTue Apr 22, 2003 9:46 pm 
Here is a really interesting article on privatizing our public lands. Note that the John Baden referenced in the article was given numerous column inches in the Seattle Times from 1993-1997 to expound his views. Anyone else remember reading his columns right before fee demo started?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 8:01 am 
Polarbear, I do remember Baden's columns. He got a lot of ink in the Times for a while - I wonder why there's none since 1997? He has some radical ideas, such as creating a "predatory bureaucracy" where a new federal agency would be created and it's budget would come solely from the money it saves taxpayers by successfully eliminating waste inside other agencies' budgets. It's continued survival and growth would depend on preying upon other agencies' budgetary requests. His examples include stopping a dubious Bureau of Reclamation dam project and Forest Service below-cost timber sales. One of his articles also talks about a coalition of fiscal conservatives, anti-corporation liberals, libertarians, and environmentalists teaming up to stop expensive anti-environmental projects. He's got some interesting ideas. Thanks for the links.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message