Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > "Aunt"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 3:47 pm 
Everyone and his grandmother confused.gif is seemingly pronouncing the word "aunt" (as in aunt and uncle) these days as aahnt, rather than ant-like the insect. I grant you when you look at the word it does seem reasonable to pronounce it aahnt, but I find it interesting (because I've got so much time on my freakin' hands I can reflect on such matters) how the pronounciation has changed over time. Is it just me that has noticed this disturbing trend? paranoid.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 4:32 pm 
No worse than pronouncing Iraq and Iran as "I rack", "I ran" or "I rain". Us non-hillbillies know the correct pronounciation is "Ear rock" and "Ear Ron". tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 5:54 pm 
Why is it that you pronounce the "L" in almond, but not in salmon? Or, why do you park on a driveway, yet drive on a parkway? Or do weebles in fact wobble, yet NOT fall down!?!?!?!?!?!? Things that make you go, HMM! TB winksmile.gif dizzy.gif lol.gif shakehead.gif confused.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
hmmm....

hmmm....
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 7:40 pm 
A few years ago everyone was turning statements into questions like: I wanted to hike Mt. Si but the gate was locked? So I went up to Snow Lake but I didn't have a parking pass? So I cooled my heals at Scott's Dairy Freeze and ordered a burger, fries, and a glacier? The nice thing was if you were listening, you didn't have to answer the all the questions they were asking like: Yes, I believe somebody locked it because you found the gate locked. Oh, I just park out on I-90. I know of no other place that serves glaciers excepting Scotts.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
-florida

-florida
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 11:09 pm 
I find this so funny I have to comment.... All my 40+ years in Florida I have always heard it pronouced either way. As "autumn" is pronounced so is "Aunt". Even funnier is that it is usually used by the snobby upper class from the NorthEast not from us Hillbillies in the SouthEast! embarassedlaugh.gif Sounds like New England is moving West!

mb.

mb.
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 10:45 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Why is it that you pronounce the "L" in almond, but not in salmon?
I don't pronounce the l in either word. Can you identify my accent, slight as it is? And awe-nt sounds more pretentious to me than ant.

PostThu Apr 24, 2003 12:07 pm 
The Nuns at my grade school pronounced it ahnt as in autumn. More to the subject. Is it creak or crick?

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 6:41 pm 
The proper usage is, my back has a crick in it and I hear it creak. But Patrick McManus gives a better explanation in the following article on cricks from which the below is taken.
Quote:
First of all a creek has none of the raucous, vulgar, freewheeling character of a crick.
!Viva la diferense!

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 9:56 pm 
Similar to the difference between "naked" and "nekkid".

Quark

Quark
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 10:19 pm 
I haven't seen any brooks or streams on the maps of Washington. What's the difference between a creek, a brook, and a stream, if any. And why do you suppose we have lake names such as "Lake Josephine" with 'lake' first, and some named as "Barclay Lake?"

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 10:38 pm 
We've got Rocky Brook over near Brinnon, and First Stream up to Nine(?) Stream off the Skokomish. The way I see it, it goes like this: River > Creek > Stream > Crick. At least that's the way it sounds most acceptable in my head. I just picture a "stream" as having less water, and a "crick" as even less water than a "stream". Of course, there are plenty of "creeks" that are much larger than "rivers" in Washington, so that whole concept gets pitched out the window. tongue.gif
Patrick McManus from the article that PB posted wrote:
Creeks tend to be pristine. They meander regally through high mountain meadows, cascade down dainty waterfalls, pause in placid pools, ripple over beds of gleaming gravel and polished rock. They sparkle in the sunlight. Deer and poets sip from creeks, and images of eagles wheel upon the surface of their mirrored depths.
This guy is obviously off his rocker. No true dedicated outdoors-person from Washington would dare to call this delicate or dainty. Just goes to show what those fishing-nutjobs know. biggrin.gif clown.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 10:53 pm 
Quark wrote:
And why do you suppose we have lake names such as "Lake Josephine" with 'lake' first, and some named as "Barclay Lake?"
I heard somewhere once (must be a reliable source) that the British use "lake" before and the French use it after, and their influence determined a lot of names in the US.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 7:00 am 
Checking my Michelin map I find Lac d' Orient, Lac du Temple and Lac d' Grande Lieu and I know Lac la Hache etc. I suspect that the word Lake is of French origin but kno wof Loch's in Scotland. On theother hand there is Fond du Lac in Michigan. Lac Ponchetran is just outside New Orleans.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Quark

Quark
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 10:28 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Checking my Michelin map I find Lac d' Orient, Lac du Temple and Lac d' Grande Lieu and I know Lac la Hache etc. I suspect that the word Lake is of French origin but kno wof Loch's in Scotland. On theother hand there is Fond du Lac in Michigan. Lac Ponchetran is just outside New Orleans.
These types of names are Lake of (something), so I can see "lake" being in front of the honored thing it's being named after (stupid sentence, I know). I have heard of MCaver's explanation before - perhaps from the M'ster himself, at another time.

Mapman

Mapman
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 11:19 am 
Smithbrook road has, surprisingly, Smith Brook next to it. Now why do they call some mountains "Mount Rainier", and others "Palmer Mountain"?