Forum Index > Photography Talk > Digital Stylus
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigSac

BigSac
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 11:46 am 
Does anyone have any experience with the new Olympus Digital Stylus models 300 and 400. I know the film Stylus has a good reputation and I wonder about the digital models. I recently saw the 300 model at Fry's and it seemed interesting, small, light, and water resistant. It seemed like it would be good for hikers.

Go Kings!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 2:13 pm 
DCResource.com, steves-digicams.com, and maging-resource.com all have (for the most part) favorable reviews on the Stylus 300 / 400. My experience with digicams is they can hold up to a good bit of foul weather abuse - I fell into a creek once with my G2 and it survived just fine (after 3 days on the food dehydrator). I would make sure the camera fits your needs (note no manual controls) and place less weight on the all weather label - plastic bags can do wonders.

BigSac

BigSac
PostThu May 08, 2003 6:45 am 
What do you think about the Canon S45 Tom? It is a little bit bigger than the Stylus 300/400 series, but it does have manual control. I need a camera small enough to keep in my pocket or in a small case clipped to my sternum strap or somewhere on the front of my pack. I plan to make mostly casual 4x6 prints with the occasional 8x10 or even 11x14. I was thinking of using a hiking staff as a monopod to steady the shots because I don"t want to carry the weight of a tripod. I have had a lot of film camera experience, but have never used a digicam before.

Go Kings!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 08, 2003 9:18 am 
I hear good things about the S45 - if you want compactness without sacrificing picture quality, the S45/S50 is the ticket. Battery life isn't the best (but above average for a small camera). You can find inexpensive aftermarket spare batteries selling on ebay for $15-20 (I'd plan on buying two). Macro capability isn't a strong point either, but there's an aftermarket adapter for macro and other filters. If you're patient, you can get the S45 from Dell Home for a little over $400 shipped (10% off $499, plus a $35-50 stackable coupon). See www.techbargains.com. There is a $40 coupon today (meaning the S45 for $410) but the camera is backordered a couple weeks.

BigSac

BigSac
PostMon May 12, 2003 8:24 am 
Digicams
Thanks for the info Tom, it was very helpfull. I hit the sites you mentioned, got advice from Dixicritter on Hikinghq, consulted the May Issue of Consumer Reports, which has a big article on digital photography, and narrowed it down to three: Sylus 400, Olympus D50, and Canon S45. I decided to go with the S45 and purchased it locally this weekend. I am experiencing a little digi-shock trying to understand the 181 page camera manual, but I'll muddle through it somehow. I did use it this weekend on the default automatic settings and I can tell I'm going to like it. I'll post a shot as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Go Kings!