Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Timber sale blocked as judge orders climate change study
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Apr 02, 2024 8:31 am 
This is something new - in Marckworth forest above Duvall

Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Apr 02, 2024 9:59 am 
DNR has to try to make money from the lands, but the court felt that logging is only one way to make money from the lands, and other alternatives should be considered. From judge's order:
Quote:
As stated in Conservation Northwest v. Commissioner of Public Lands, 199 Wn.2d 813, 514 P.3d 174 (2022), “[t]here appear to be myriad ways that DNR could choose to generate revenue” from the lands or “otherwise put them to use for the benefit” of the beneficiaries. Alternatives that could be studied include employing variable density thinning techniques instead of variable retention harvesting, potentially earning revenues from carbon payments under Washington’s carbon market, or earning revenue by creating opportunities for scientific research or opening lands for sustainable foraging.
The politics of all of this interesting. The disputed lands are in King County. The money from logging would go to King County. But the article states King County council members are amongst those concerned with the logging. And DNR is run by liberal Hilary Franz, who recently dropped out of the governors race to try for the 6th Congressional District (currently Derek Kilmer). Liberals vs. liberals.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Apr 02, 2024 12:23 pm 
altasnob wrote:
]Liberals vs. liberals.
How far left depends on a person's point of view. Its all relative. If you think you are far left and someone who leans a wee bit right, just next to the far left,...then you are a conservative.

Art is an adventure.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 02, 2024 12:45 pm 
.... because CNW's lawyers couldn't come up with an actual legal argument, they had to invent one. How are you going to quantify the effect any particular logging operation is going to have on the planet's climate system? Can somebody explain exactly how you would go about doing that?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Dick B

Dick B
PostTue Apr 02, 2024 1:10 pm 
I'm a UW forestry grad from years ago. When I see another judge shut down a timber sale, it tweeks my antenna. I have to find out the reasoning behind the decision. Alternate ways of generating revenue in lieu of actually harvesting the timber is a new one on me. Selling carbon credits? Don't need a forester for that. I guess "variable density thinning VS variable retention harvesting means thinning VS clearcutting and replanting?Not sure you can gain any revenue from scientific research. Sustainable foraging foraging? Mushrooms, huckleberry brush, cascara? This got me to thinking about how the UW college of forestry is shaping up. There were 2 sites that ranked schools in the US. One site showed that out of the top 25, the U was not listed, and another showed it 15th out of 15. Oregon State was #1. Go Beavs! I think the school is wrapped up in something called "environmental sciences". I watched a promo video & don't recall seeing anything about managing forests.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Apr 02, 2024 1:32 pm 
Dick B wrote:
This got me to thinking about how the UW college of forestry is shaping up. There were 2 sites that ranked schools in the US. One site showed that out of the top 25, the U was not listed, and another showed it 15th out of 15. Oregon State was #1. Go Beavs! I think the school is wrapped up in something called "environmental sciences". I watched a promo video & don't recall seeing anything about managing forests.
I'm an alumnus also and the College has always been known for it's strong Pulp and Paper department. You're right that the forestry side is mostly environmental sciences now. My niece-in-law recently got her PhD there and it's in something like forestry environmental economics. She's doing carbon studies for Hancock now.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 04, 2024 9:37 am 
When I went to OSU's Forest Engineering course, the forestry dept. had bulletin boards stating HEMP IS THE ANSWER. However, the engineering was pretty challenging, but planning for hemp harvest was not part of the curriculum. Maybe hemp is an alternative the judge should consider because we all know that judges are forestry experts. shakehead.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities