Forum Index > Trip Reports > Birdsong - the "Dry" Side of the State! (with flowers)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 8:45 pm 
Bob said, "I want to hear Meadowlarks." Well, O.K. It was to be a brown hike - Bob wanted a snow respite - although I (Sadie) can never get too much snow - but I didn't want to be left behind. So Bob and Kolleen invited the driver and me along for our first backpack of the season. Weather was soo iffy for the wetside, that a venture to the high desert sounded like just the ticket. (Note to Alan: It's Exit 26 - not Exit 30 off of I-82!). We settled on Birdsong as our destination. Leaving at a respectable hour on Saturday (March 31) morning - around 8:00 a.m., we agreed to a trailhead meet-up. It turned out we were within minutes of one another, so we met up just before the turn-off onto the dirt road. Trail Pair had done this hike about 3 times before, always starting at the south trailhead - at the end of Buffalo Road (pulled from an old hiking guide). We were the only cars in the parking lot (note: this is a Washington State Wildlife Recreation area run by the Washington State Dept. of Natural Resources - with no permit issuing facilities on site). The trip can be found in the Desert Hikes Book - Yakima Skyline Ridge. A truck pulled in just after us - but he was only planning a short day-hike up to the first ridge. It was a glorious morning - pretty cloudy, but quite warm. We all opted for shorts.
Getting "geared up" for the first backpack of the season
Getting "geared up" for the first backpack of the season
Well, someone opted to go "au naturel!"
Sadie's ready
Sadie's ready
We had noticed driving towards the trailhead at the juncture with Canyon Road that there were a number of police cars - we didn't know what that was about - and then while we were headed up towards the ridge, we saw a bunch of cars along Canyon Road . . .
View from above down on the marathon route on Canyon Highway
View from above down on the marathon route on Canyon Highway
(We later found out that it was the Ellensburg-Selah marathon.) The weather folks had said either "partly cloudy" or "mostly cloudy" for today - you decide . .
The high desert - "partly" cloudy
The high desert - "partly" cloudy
On our way up the hill to the first ridge, we encountered a solo hiker on his way down - he had gotten as far as Twin Springs and turned around. He talked about the difficulty of route-finding once you got to Roza Creek and we compared notes. TP seemed pretty confident of the route. Jim K would have enjoyed this hike - we saw the start of the spring flowers.
First Balsamroot
First Balsamroot
The driver was tempted to employ this guy as a pack animal - certainly big enough!
Strap a pack on this guy!
Strap a pack on this guy!
Since Trail Pair had been on this trail before (in 98 degree heat for one of their jaunts! Yeow!) They filled the driver in on some of the details. Apparently it's basically a horse trail - and at one time, this was a grazing - range area (evidence of lots of fences).
One of many sign posts along the way
One of many sign posts along the way
We did see a few horse hoof prints - but more often then not, we saw deer and elk evidence and tracks. As we skirted along the eastern most part of the climb up the ridge, the Yakima River was always in sight.
Yakima River looking North/Northeast
Yakima River looking North/Northeast
Looking down on the irrigation dam on the Yakima (looking North)
Looking down on the irrigation dam on the Yakima (looking North)
We continued up toward the ridge.
TP and Sadie head toward first ridge crest (looking North)
TP and Sadie head toward first ridge crest (looking North)
Bob further up the traill with post trail marker ahead
Bob further up the traill with post trail marker ahead
The occasional flower showing color - we noticed that most of the flowers in bloom now were in the yellow color range (a few exceptions - even the start of some lupine).
Yellow Bell - almost in bloom
Yellow Bell - almost in bloom
A nice comparison between Saturday's trip up and Sunday's trip down.
First ridge top looking towards what would be Mt. Rainier (Saturday)
First ridge top looking towards what would be Mt. Rainier (Saturday)
What a difference a day makes! (Sunday)
What a difference a day makes! (Sunday)
The weather was warmer and cloudier on Saturday; clearer, windy and cooler (darned cold and windy on the north slopes!) on Sunday. We crested the first ridge and began our descent down along the ridge that would lead us up a climb to a higher ridge.
Bob and Kolleen headed in the right direction off of the ridge and on to the next
Bob and Kolleen headed in the right direction off of the ridge and on to the next
At about the highest point on the 2nd ridge, we stopped for lunch.
Lunch break near 2nd highspot (approx. 2970':)
Lunch break near 2nd highspot (approx. 2970')
The driver was quite impressed with her latest REI splurge - a new, lighter backpack and a new, much lighter, down sleeping bag - almost as if she wasn't carrying anything at all! (right rolleyes.gif )
The new pack!!!!  (resting)
The new pack!!!! (resting)
Lots more flowers.
Sagebrush Violets
Sagebrush Violets
Buttercup
Buttercup
Gray's Desert Parsley
Gray's Desert Parsley
Hmmm - not really sure!
Hmmm - not really sure!
A few views as we made our way North along the ridge.
Looking ahead to the valley we would reach and head West
Looking ahead to the valley we would reach and head West
Looking back to the first ridge we summited
Looking back to the first ridge we summited
B, K and Sadie head towards the creek drainage
B, K and Sadie head towards the creek drainage
As we headed down towards the Roza Creek drainage, we saw that the weather was soon to change on us.
Threatening clouds to the west (the direction we're headed)
Threatening clouds to the west (the direction we're headed)
Just before we reached the creek bed, the heavens opened up on us and we scrambled to pull out our rain jackets, opting to stay with shorts. It simply poured on us for a good, solid 20 minutes. By now, we were within about 2 miles of Birdsong, so we didn't have any other choice than to keep moving! Fortunately, the storm passed - but you can see the difference between the weather on Saturday and then on Sunday.
Hawk nest along Roza Creek (Saturday) looking east
Hawk nest along Roza Creek (Saturday) looking east
Same nest on Sunday morning (looking west)
Same nest on Sunday morning (looking west)
We dropped from about 2970' at our high point on the 2nd ridge to 1300 at Roza Creek. We would gain another 450' along an old road getting to Birdsong. The trickiest part of the whole trip is the area around the Roza Creek crossing where you kinda' lose the trail. There are some markers in the field (site of an old homestead) - but if the grass is high, you may miss them. So, get your bearings from the taller, wooden trail markers on the slope to find the route. Once on the road, it's an easy hike to Birdsong. A couple of trails intersect - primarily the North access trailhead and route to Umtanum Ridge. We saw a few interesting things along the way - an active beaver lodge
Beaver lodge (looking East)
Beaver lodge (looking East)
and the carcass of a decaying coyote - which looked oh-so-appealing to roll in by one member of the party! Not allowed. Darn! lol.gif Kolleen and Bob had been in touch with someone named "Blue Skies" during the week and he/she said that he/she might try to meet up with us either at the trailhead or the camp site. Since no one was at the trailhead, we struck out and figured he/she might make the campsite. No one was there when we got there.
Camp site at Bird Song
Camp site at Bird Song
Since the rains had cleared, the birds were back out singing (Bob DID get to hear some Meadowlark).
Red-wing Blackbird serenading us
Red-wing Blackbird serenading us
Once we got camp squared away, the driver and Sadie headed up the old road/trail a-ways towards the west to just take a walk. Along the way, we saw a construction project underway.
Beavers at work up Roza Creek
Beavers at work up Roza Creek
The dam site
The dam site
Sadie and the driver headed up this hill to another ridge and walked along, when we spotted a lone, male hiker headed toward Birdsong. Sadie took off after him - the driver fearing this poor soul would be startled by a charging (but oh-so-friendly) dog. He wasn't. Turns out - this was the mysterious "Blue Skies" aka Bill. His start was the Umtanum trailhead on Canyon Road - he got caught in the rain storm, too! Didn't take him long to set up his tent.
Blue Skies (Bill) setting up camp
Blue Skies (Bill) setting up camp
The skies were beginning to clear - leaving a lovely evening.
Looking east from campsite in evening (clearing) sky
Looking east from campsite in evening (clearing) sky
We even built a campfire and had a nice time chatting. The weather was turning quite cool as the sun began to set - but the nice thing was, as soon as the sun was down, the winds died down too. It was darned cold the next morning - but the skies were absolutely clear. Stunning.
Campsite in early morning
Campsite in early morning
Bob supervising
Bob supervising
Bill packing up
Bill packing up
K cinching up
K cinching up
Getting ready to hit the trail
Getting ready to hit the trail
We broke camp when the sun hit us (around 8:45 a.m.) and headed out - again in shorts. It was pretty breezy - considerably cooler than yesterday - but no rain and crystal clear.
On the trail heading back UP to the ridge
On the trail heading back UP to the ridge
Climbing the first ridge (from 1300' to 2970' in about a mile) was aerobic(!) - a quick snack just before the final push seemed to do the trick.
Bob and Bill taking a break
Bob and Bill taking a break
K taking a break
K taking a break
The driver wasn't in the snack mode and continued up to get a few pics along the way. It was downright cold and windy as we passed along the northern edges of the ridge - becoming less windy when we dropped to the south.
Buttercup
Buttercup
Looking at clear skies to the North
Looking at clear skies to the North
Group heading up the last push to the ridge
Group heading up the last push to the ridge
Group traversing first ridge
Group traversing first ridge
Mt. Adams
Mt. Adams
Our route ahead - Twin Springs can be seen in middle of pic just below ridge
Our route ahead - Twin Springs can be seen in middle of pic just below ridge
Looking  back toward the ridge we had just crossed
Looking back toward the ridge we had just crossed
We had glorious views of Adams, Mt. Hood and finally, the big "R"
Mt. Rainier (to right of sign post)
Mt. Rainier (to right of sign post)
We had made the second ridge
Group at the crest of 2nd ridge
Group at the crest of 2nd ridge
and knew the rest was "all downhill" from here (didn't remember there being so much loose, crappy rock on the way up). It ended up taking us about the same amount of time out as in.
Kolleen nearing the end of the hike (looking South)
Kolleen nearing the end of the hike (looking South)
Stats for this first overnighter: 22 miles roundtrip; about 4500' of gain; 4 1/2 hours each way. We gave Bill a ride back to his truck parked at the Umtanum Recreation area. Great first backpack trip for the season. up.gif agree.gif Sadie is passed out. zzz.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 8:51 pm 
WOW! great report! beautiful country. You have inspired me. agree.gif Thanks.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 8:54 pm 
Nice job guys. up.gif Jasper will once again follow in Sadie's pawprints as we are planning on doing this same basic trip in 3 weeks. Hopefully the ticks wait 4 weeks before coming out paranoid.gif

Knows literally nothing
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 8:54 pm 
Tazz wrote:
WOW! great report! beautiful country. You have inspired me. agree.gif Thanks.
Tazz - Lace up those boots and head out with us! It was great. A butt-kicker for the first overnight - but good (and we are tick free!) I see Opus headed in the same direction this weekend - great minds! Tired of the iffy weather stuff! s.d. dizzy.gif winksmile.gif

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 8:56 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Nice job guys. up.gif Jasper will once again follow in Sadie's pawprints as we are planning on doing this same basic trip in 3 weeks. Hopefully the ticks wait 4 weeks before coming out paranoid.gif
Good hike, Tom. Just put some Frontline on him and he won't have a problem. paranoid.gif It was still a bit cold for ticks - won't be long, however! s.d.

JimK

JimK
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 9:04 pm 
Nice trip. JimK would have enjoyed that trip.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 9:05 pm 
Photo onslaught, I love it! wub.gif I heart E Wa!

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 9:16 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Photo onslaught, I love it!
The driver did get a little carried away! hmmm.gif rolleyes.gif

E's Mom

E's Mom
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 10:02 pm 
I attended college at Central WA, so that area is near & dear to my heart. I have hiked the Uptanum trail several times and my husband bird-hunts those ridges you hiked during the fall/winter months. Great photos and nice to see the spring flowers are showing themselves!

"I will lift my eyes to the hills. From whence does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 10:04 pm 
Liked the stink bug the best.

Let me stand next to your fire
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 10:06 pm 
Nice pics, peeps. I was down in the canyon swearing, er, I mean fly fishing today, and was impressed with how much things have "greened up" since Cowbell and I did Yak Skyline last weekend. More flowers, more critters, and the river's not brown any more. It's evil, and it's hiding all the fish in the spring runoff, but it's definitely looking a lot more like spring. Did y'all have an exciting drive oveer the Pass on the way home?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Apr 02, 2007 7:24 am 
marylou wrote:
Did y'all have an exciting drive oveer the Pass on the way home?
Actually - it wasn't bad. We had horrendous rain showers on the way over - all the way from Preston to just about Stampede Pass on Saturday morning (we should have known we would get it at some point - and we did on Sat. afternoon!) lol.gif . But coming back on Sunday, it was clear and sunny until (again) Stampede Pass - when a very light flurry of flakes (that would be snow) started to appear - and it was still 43 degrees. It picked up a bit by the time Sadie and the driver reached the summit - but the road was bare. Over the Pass, it rained off and on to Issaquah - then just cloudy. Missed the worst, I guess. Got home by about 3:30 p.m. s.d.

PCT Plodder

PCT Plodder
PostMon Apr 02, 2007 7:53 am 
Great trip and pictures, I could use some dryness and spring flowers and might just try to follow in your footsteps this weekend.

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostMon Apr 02, 2007 1:19 pm 
PCT, The flowers are coming out more day by day. In a couple weeks, the south facing slopes will be alive with the bright yellow of the balsom root. The little flowering cacti will begin blooming in two to three weeks too.

This thing called work is interfering with my play
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostMon Apr 02, 2007 6:50 pm 
Sounds like a fun trip, Jake wish he was there smile.gif No pictures of the Driver? confused.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss