Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > At the top of mailbox peak...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Apr 30, 2003 7:36 pm 
...in a mailbox, protected from the elements, is (still?) a copy of Green Eggs and Ham. Per the following source
Quote:
In 1960 Bennett Cerf bet Geisel $50 that he couldn't write an entire book using only fifty words. The result was Green Eggs and Ham.
Anyone have any favorite Seuss books? One of mine was the King's Stilts. "When the King worked he really worked, and when he played he really played."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu May 01, 2003 1:09 am 
Truffala Trees. Grickle Grass. Thneeds. Gotta be The Lorax! Even though they don't have stars upon thars.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 01, 2003 7:05 am 
Oh the Places You'll Go, The Lorax and The Butter War

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Quark

Quark
PostThu May 01, 2003 5:16 pm 
Horton Hears a Who, The Lorax. My favorite part is when Horton finally hears a little Who say, "Yop."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostThu May 01, 2003 7:10 pm 
What about ooblek?

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostThu May 01, 2003 7:36 pm 
They even have an excerpt. If you get caught in an ooblek storm while hiking that is not a good thing.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostThu May 01, 2003 8:34 pm 
"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you will go." -I Can Read with My Eyes Shut! One of my favorite lines. BW smile.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostFri May 02, 2003 8:42 pm 
Geisel also wroted under the pen names Theo LeSieg and Rosetta Stone when he didn't produce the illustrations. Ten Apples Up On Top is one of his LeSieg classics.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Smokey

Smokey
PostSun May 04, 2003 8:20 pm 
A better trail on Mailbox? $200-300K? I had no idea it could cost that much. P-I story

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun May 04, 2003 8:35 pm 
I think the $200-300k only covers buying and installing the new government approved mailbox. lol.gif lol.gif

Vine Maple Victim

Vine Maple Victim
PostMon May 05, 2003 1:29 pm 
Muahahah
My fame is sealed in the annals of history!!!!!!!!!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 05, 2003 1:35 pm 
Looks like the same article. tongue.gif I think they have their facts a little wrong though. The original mailbox was replaced with a green one that also disappeared, but the original was rusty golden if I'm not mistaken. $250K, WTF does that include port-a-potties?

Quark

Quark
PostMon May 05, 2003 5:47 pm 
Tom wrote:
$250K, WTF does that include port-a-potties?
Maybe. Cost of new trail construction includes one or more of the following: User survey (is there a need, and by who - horses, bicycles, hiker-only), alerting the Head Honchos at the Fed as to the need. Convincing Head Honchos at the Fed as to the need. Time involved in procuring funds from Uncle Sam. Environmental impact survey, biology survey, botanical survey, endangered species survey, wetlands survey. Fight various opposing entities. Initial trail layout. Later re-route, re-reroute. Sometimes blasting is necessary. Structural engineering consulting (big bridges, horse use considerations). Types of material used for bridges consulting (for aesthetics, or for environmental impact). Land manager salaries to facilitate all the above. We haven't got to the trail-building yet. Land manager salaries/trail workers salaries (even volunteers aren't free - the organizations need money to operate). Outhouse purchase and installation. Parking lot survey, procurement, construction. Road improvement for access. Trailhead signage. Other Stuff: Sometimes a trail project is put on "hold" if, for instance, the chopper drop (more $) site for bridge materials is in the same area a rare bird is nesting, or the weather is bad that day, and the next available time for the pilot is months away, or the Wilderness waiver for a chopper drop doesn't allow for another timeframe, resulting in a new barrage of Wilderness Waiver negotiations (if trail is in the Wilderness). Or say someone sees a cute salamander or a maybe a rare spleenwort while working on the new trail - resulting in more surveys, and a re-route of the trail. Mechanized equipment? To a certain extent it's helpful - but with breakdowns and obstacles to getting equipment beyond a mile past the trailhead, mechanization simply doesn't beat human muscle. This list is not exhaustive, nor is it exact, nor is it specific to Mailbox Peak. It's just some of the things I have read about and have experienced regarding building new trails in various places. I have no dollar figures, but perhaps $100-200K doesn't seem so far-fetched any more. Costs continue throughout the life of a trail - pumping out the outhouse, or building new ones destroyed by maniacal maniacs, maintaining tread, re-building bridges (sometimes brand-new ones are wiped out by storm or snowload the same year). Just some things to consider. Like I said, I have no dollar figures.

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostMon May 05, 2003 7:29 pm 
my $.37 worth
My guess is if you include salaries and equipment, it will cost more than $300k. 4-thousand feet is either going to be alot of miles or alot of stairs. Any guesses as to how long the trail would be? __|_ (___|/ || _ _| _| _| _|

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue May 06, 2003 6:51 am 
Quote:
alerting the Head Honchos at the Fed as to the need. Convincing Head Honchos at the Fed as to the need. Time involved in procuring funds from Uncle Sam.
Minor quibble, Quark: Mailbox Peak is on State DNR land, so funding and approval will come from Olympia...not that their process is any less onerous. winksmile.gif I've seen the same article in three different newspapers so far (Times, P-I, King County Journal) so I'm thinking if the trail was overused before, you ain't seen nuttin' yet, baybeee. Uh, anyone seen my aluminum ladder? suuure.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?