Forum Index > Trail Talk > Still here
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Leaddog

Leaddog
PostSat Mar 09, 2024 2:49 pm 
Still alive and kickin. All my posts and pictures got erased. No worries. Retired 2 years ago and sadly, I let myself go a little. Working my way back to Backpacking Shape. See you all soon as possible.

Mountainfisherman, sooperfly, SeanSullivan86, Bootpathguy, kite
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Mar 09, 2024 3:04 pm 
Your original profile and posts are still here: The Lead Dog Contact me if you need assistance logging in.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Mar 09, 2024 3:27 pm 
Sometimes the best training is just getting out and doing it. Don't wait until you are in perfect shape, cause that can be elusive. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Joseph
Leaddog

Leaddog
PostSat Mar 09, 2024 3:43 pm 
Thanks! Glad to see you are still at the Helm!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Mar 09, 2024 3:46 pm 
Fitness is a funny thing. I often feel sad because I believe I was in better shape a few years ago than I am now. However, when I look at data from across the years, my running pace and distance has only increased. Similarly, a lot of my biggest days in the mountains were clustered in a single season a few years ago. But if I look at heart rate data and consider how I'm feeling, in the moment, during a tough climb now I'm probably better off. I think I'm in better shape now than I've ever been. However, when I put on my rose tinted glasses and think of the awesome, very difficult things I've done in the past, it makes me feel like I'm not. Sure, I might have been able to do Cable Line 10 minutes faster at that point in my life. But I probably couldn't do Cable Line every single day without injury back then like I can now. I guess what I'm trying to say (and something you probably already know) is that life is a journey filled with ups and downs. Try not to focus on where you are, but look forward and behind at the highs and lows. You're probably better off than some other historical low. And some day you'll be better off than where you are now as well. Fitness isn't a black and white thing. It's multi-faceted and comprised of a dozen different factors. All of which are constantly waxing and waning. As for getting back out there after a slump, in my experience it helps to lower the barrier of entry. I am and have always been a runner. At least since my mid-late 20s. But when I let myself slip for a few months; running in the same way that I always have is demoralizing. It helps to put the ego down for a few weeks and just go for some nice long walks on some easy trails. Go back and visit some of the awesome "easy" epic popular places we have like Lake 22. If you do that for a few weeks and slowly build upon it, you'll be back in no time. I often find that I can go from resenting myself and my health to feeling proud again and having a positive outlook in about a month of consistency. My girlfriend broke her ankle and fibula 13 months ago. Yesterday she climbed West Tiger 3 for the first time since. You can too!

Flickr | Strava

Fedor, Krylon
Leaddog

Leaddog
PostSat Mar 09, 2024 4:04 pm 
Thanks. Due to my neglect. I went from 220 to 315. Long story. Went from Registrationed living to do what ever you want whenever you want living. Going to be a LONG road back.

Joseph
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Mar 10, 2024 8:11 am 
ÀLL IN!!!! That used to be my response to all of his trips he organized to big mountain ranges in Idaho, and the winds..that first trip blew everyone's minds!! All who participated on the trips owe you a debt of gratitude, My group was last in the winds, at 10,200ft. When the historic Labor Day storm hit 3 years ago..80 TO 100MPH WINDS...and 10 deg. In pinedale. We were 3k higher in elevation...kinda traumatized the 2 newish hikers, breakn em in right.. We all almost died..BEST TRIP EVER!!!!!

Chief Joseph
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Mar 10, 2024 10:06 am 
Start with a little shed hunting

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want

Mountainfisherman
Leaddog

Leaddog
PostSun Mar 10, 2024 10:17 am 
Hey Gnomee! Glad to see you are still here also. Hope everything is going well for you. Remember those hikes.Were truly memorable. Have to shed 75 pounds to get back into the game. This do what ever you want to when ever you want to Tee-Pee living is kind of dangerous. chow.gif bored.gif

Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Mar 10, 2024 3:27 pm 
Having to get back into decent hiking shape sucks when there's extra pounds. Been there, still working on it. Getting a dog is a big factor in my 30 lb loss.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Chief Joseph, Joseph
contour5

contour5
PostSun Mar 10, 2024 3:44 pm 
I’ve always enjoyed your posts from all of those far off places. Hope to see plenty more in the future. As Rumi said, just do it. Start small, rest when you like, then push again. Best of luck to you!

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Mar 10, 2024 4:44 pm 
Leaddog wrote:
Thanks. Due to my neglect. I went from 220 to 315. Long story. Went from Registrationed living to do what ever you want whenever you want living. Going to be a LONG road back.
You're not alone. Went from 172 to 212. its hard on the knees, back, joints, etc. I'm gonna come back though - too many trails to hike, and I'm not getting any younger. The first 2 weeks of getting back on track are tough, but after that, it (healthy living0 becomes a habit and you can do it. Go. For. It.

Waterman
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostSun Mar 10, 2024 10:46 pm 
You can do it! Start off slow, you'll still have a blast, it will just take a bit longer to get there ! It will be summer before ya know it! Couple 2005 pics to motivate ya. biggrin.gif

Chief Joseph, Mountainfisherman
Leaddog

Leaddog
PostMon Mar 11, 2024 9:19 am 
So nice to hear from you! Hope you are well! I lost all of those pictures. Thanks for seeing some again. That was a trip I will never forget!

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 10:03 am 
No worries! I'll put all the pics in a gallery for ya and PM it. up.gif up.gif