Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Picture Test
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
El Puma

El Puma
PostSun May 04, 2003 9:04 pm 
Hi guys, I tried to post this several times to the Bar and Grill. Resized it in various methods through Photoshop. Looks great in the posting preview, but as soon as the actual link appears in my submitted post, it's "pixeled-out"...The degree of this changes only slightly, whether I send the actual 2MB file, reduce it to 64KB, save it in high or low quality, change the physical image dimensions etc... I can run it on my desktop and it looks very sharp and defined. Must be a simple oversight; posted other pix before and never had any problems. This one has 800 pixels as the larger dimension and is saved in 10 out of 12 on the JPEG quality scale index. Any ideas? Thanks - El Puma
N-SEA-RB
N-SEA-RB

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 04, 2003 10:00 pm 
The picture looks fine to me (other than being saved at too high of a jpeg quality setting, thus wasting space on the server). Go into photoshop, resize the picture to 600 pixels high, then choose File, Save for Web, select "JPEG High" from the drop down, then Save. This will reduce the file size by about 500% (from 150K to 30K). Note: most of the time you can get away with a lower quality setting than "JPEG High" which corresponds to quality setting 60. I usually bump it down to 40 or 50 in the Save for Web preview window unless jpeg artifacts and/or other visible degredation starts to appear.

El Puma

El Puma
PostMon May 05, 2003 6:12 am 
Thanks, Tom! Not having a web site, I was unfamiliar with the "Save for Web" - function. Interestingly enough, when I got back to my post after editing, I experienced the same problem with unsharpness / undefined pixels that I had earlier. I had to quit my browser and restart the application to see it without these deficiencies. On that note, I'm testing out Apple's new Safari-Browser. Have had pretty good results so far. It doesn't do some of the things Netscape does but is overall more stable and quite a bit faster in loading pages, but especially in going back. I AM now wondering if my problems have their root in this browser though. Will try posting via Opera next time to see if it recurs. The shot was taken with a Nikon 5000 out of our kids' window at 2003 yesterday, one of about 15 exposures with different settings to achieve the right contrast without enhancing or losing color.

mb

mb
PostMon May 05, 2003 9:12 am 
There is a slight possibility your ISP does something weird. AOL is the only ISP really known to do this--they actually re-compress downloaded pictures to save bandwidth (or at least they used to).

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 05, 2003 9:40 am 
Looks great El Puma, not to mention you got the filesize down to 20K (from 150K). Hopefully folks better understand why I've been so dilligent in asking people to compress their pictures before uploading. In this case, it will allow for 7x more pictures. biggrin.gif Yes, the Safari browser is quite buggy. I'm guessing what happened is your cache wasn't clearing properly and when you closed and re-opened your browser it forced the cache to clear. If it happens again, hit your refresh button and see if that fixes things.

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostMon May 05, 2003 11:07 am 
Not sure how you define "quite buggy" for Safari - it is still a beta, and is buggy, but generally pretty grand. The latest update is tons better, with new features - El Puma, if you haven't updated it, that might help. (see, I'm on topic..) Worst thing about it for me is that for some reason it won't let me post comments to this website. I need to report that. It is -so- much faster than IE that the only time I fire up IE is to post a comment to this site, or when trying to intereact with the rare case of problems with another site. This has been keeping me from posting very much here lately - which might be a good thing. smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 05, 2003 11:39 am 
Hmm, Safari is not very buggy but you can't post on this website. lol.gif More details please. What happens when you try to post? We used to have a problem with pictures not displaying properly in Safari but we put in a work around and I think it is fixed. Is javascript working on the posting screen? See if the clickable smileys work (if not, it may be a javascript problem).

El Puma

El Puma
PostMon May 05, 2003 1:09 pm 
Safari Test
Here's another test picture, with comments attached (hopefully). I do have the latest Safari-update - it improves things a lot up.gif but seems to slow it down a bit as well. In OS 9.2.2 I used Opera almost exclusively, but I've found the OSX version of Opera very unstable.
Yellow Krokus, taken in garden 22MAR. Nikon 5000, manual focus.
Yellow Krokus, taken in garden 22MAR. Nikon 5000, manual focus.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 05, 2003 1:21 pm 
Nice pic. So I take it you don't have any problem posting with the latest version of Safari, unlike Erik?

El Puma

El Puma
PostMon May 05, 2003 2:25 pm 
No, looks like comments and emoticons worked above. All in all good experiences. Very few sites won't allow me secure access, and I can't modify Safari's security settings or library - Apple is aware of it and working on it, they say. Netscape has been getting excruciatingly slow on my machine in the last 6 month, so I'm happy about the alternative. I've stared at the OS10.2 rotating beachballs for minutes without end... Mozilla worked well, though my Beta-version was unable to keep bookmarks past a shutdown, and I haven't revisited it in a few months now. And for some reason I was never overly excited about IE...

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostMon May 05, 2003 5:05 pm 
redface.gif lol.gif bawl.gif Interesting, thanks for feedback on Safari functionality (or lack thereof, in this case) - the emoticons work, clicking them puts them in the text window, but what hasn't worked for me is clicking "submit" - I get no reaction to that at all. And now I try it once again...

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostMon May 05, 2003 5:09 pm 
test post w/ IE 5.2 OS 10.2
I gotta check and see which dang button I was pushing..

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostMon May 05, 2003 5:10 pm 
eh heh. Umm. <blush> I was clicking the wrong submit button - the obvious one, right below the text box I'm typing in now, right under "spellcheck." Nothing would happen. Buuut... if I click the submit down at the bottom, under the attachment filename/comment section, viola. So, it seems like I'm fixed. Hmm. Using the "wrong" button in I.E. 5.2 does work, just tested it. Key thing for me: I know how to make it work without messing with launching IE now. Excellent, thanks for the prods to look into it a bit..

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 05, 2003 11:04 pm 
Erik wrote:
I was clicking the wrong submit button - the obvious one, right below the text box I'm typing in now, right under "spellcheck." Nothing would happen. Buuut... if I click the submit down at the bottom, under the attachment filename/comment section, viola.
Looks to be a javascript bug in Safari. The button you were clicking on was supposed to automatically "submit" the other button (via javascript), but Safari apparently hasn't got these basic javascript principles down yet (spellchecker may not work either). I've put in a work around so that you can use either submit button. Please give it a try.

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostTue May 06, 2003 7:33 am 
mispeld for a test. hmm, got the window, but nothing in it. I checked http://www.apple.com/safari/ to confirm what I guessed, that Safari uses the Java included w/ OS X - http://www.apple.com/java/ I'm submitting a bug on this page again, which should call to Apple's attention what's been developing here. Any chance pop up blocking would be interfering here? Powerful feature in Safari that I love and have turned on... And if this last sentence posts then your workaround is working...