Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snow/Melakwa traverse - route info request
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 10:35 pm 
This being planning season, Larch and I are working on it, but we could use a little help. I've seen the traverse, Snoqualmie Pass to Snow Lake to Melakwa Lake to Denny Creek, mentioned many times, and it's even shown as a dotted line in "100 Hikes", but I've never seen a real description of it. I suspect it's used enough to be a pretty good waytrail, but since I want to set it up with cars at both ends I'd like to start with a little more precise information about the Snow/Melakwa section of the route. Any suggestions about key turnoffs, must-see side trips, et cetera will be appreciated. If anybody feels like sketching it on a map, or illustrating their description with pictures, that would be even better (even more than one somebody). Besides, I'd like to see what sort of attachments this forum will accommodate. wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 11:41 pm 
There wasn't any "way trail" when I did it, particularly between Gem Lake and Chair Peak Lake. I suspect this may be one of the reasons they took that dotted line out of the last two editions (in addition to being relatively steep and dangerous). I've never technically done the loop, but I've scrambled up to Melakwa Pass from Mealkwa Lakes (obvious route), and I've scrambled over to Chair Peak Lake from Gem Lake (not so obvious). I made the mistake of trying to "shortcut" it down to Snow Lake on my way home. Big mistake unless you like navigating steep brush on all fours or swimming around cliffs smile.gif. Also, I'd recommend doing this route very late in the summer. The first time I did it in mid August '00, Chair Peak Lake was still snow covered. More than a month later in mid September it still had plenty of snow as evidenced by this picture taken from Melakwa Pass.
It gives you a pretty good idea of the terrain between Chair Peak Lake and Gem Lake. It's kind of deceptive though. You need to hang a left up the granite surrounding the north side Chair Peak Lake, unless you like going down a waterfall over sheer cliffs per your topo map. Actually, this picture better illustrates the route.
Hang a left up the granite to that snowfield, then down the snowfield losing about 200' elevation or so to where you can traverse over and up to Gem Lake. Like I said, those pics were mid September! Bring a coat if you're hanging out at Chair Peak Lake. There ain't much sunshine in the shadows beneath Chair, Kaleetan, and Roosevelt.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 7:16 am 
If you would like to do it as a winter day trip I'd be interested. We could leave a car at Alpental and one at Denny Creek. The crux of the hike will be at the top of Melakwa Pass which is sure to be corniced. The benefit of winter is that it is a little shorter. You can just cut straight across Snow Lake and also Melakwa Lake. The north side of Melakwa Pass is steeper than the south which drains into Melakwa Lake. The description of the route is different for summer than winter as you can avoid going around the north side of Snow Lake to get to Gem Lake. Then head for the low point between Chair Peak and Kaleetan.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 8:41 am 
Mike, I suspect you'll find members of this forum who'd be willing to tackle this hike with you in winter, but it's not me and Larch. We're pretty much wimps and stay below the snowline this time of year. Tom, fine pics, as usual, but a little discouraging. The terrain in the photographs looks a lot rougher than I'd guess from the topographic map. I'm not sure Larch would be happy with that at any time of year. Your description makes me wonder why there was ever a dotted line in "100 Hikes". In any event, I still hope somebody will come up with a map.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
-lol-

-lol-
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 10:44 am 

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 1:00 pm 
Here is the direct link to the report on Phil's site in case you want to skip the frames and music wink.gif. There is no way I would do the "dotted line" in winter. Extreme avalanche danger IMO between Melakwa Pass and Gem Lake due to the steep slope, lack of tree cover, and the cliffs of Chair, Kaleetan and Roosevelt above. Take a look at this telltale summer picture before you decide to go in winter eek.gif.
I admit, I'm a little wimpy when it comes to worrying about avalanches, but after being buried in only 1 foot of snow in an avalanche preparedness class and only being able to move my pinky, it makes you think twice about going some places in winter unless the snow is extremely stable.

Napster

Napster
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 1:12 pm 
Apparently that route was on the 1970's era Greentrail maps. Anyone know where to find them?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 2:11 pm 
On the USGS map it looks like the only problem would be from Snow Lake to Chair Peak Lake. My recommendation would be to stay about 200 meters to the north of the Chair Peak Lake outlet stream and head directly for Mount Roosevelt. Remember to start at the outlet coming out of Gem Lake when you start heading up. When you are equal in elevation to Chair Peak Lake head immediately south, and then up to Melakwa Pass and down. This would be a very rocky, and scree route if there was no snow. Personally I would choose snow, like a June hike before all the snow would melt to make it less painful. Beckey's description of attaining the base of Roosevelt Peak says this. It is basically the same as what I suggested: “From the outlet of Gem Lake follow the lightly wooded ridge SW, then climb the left edge of a big talus slope to rock headwall. Make a leftward traverse several hundred feet on a scree bench aove lower eastern cliffs……”

Art is an adventure.
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 6:02 pm 
That's one of Phil's best reports, but on top of what you've already said it sure does make me rethink the hike. For starters, Larch won't be interested. What she's capable of and what she enjoys are two very different things. From my point of view it's sounding more like fun all the time, although it may be pushing my limits, even with a major part of the distance on trail. In any event, it'll have to be solo, which means scheduling it on one of my "free" days - which means it'll have to compete with all the other hikes already on that list. wink.gif If anybody finds that 70's Green Trails map, please try posting a copy of the relevant section. Map hiking, it looks like a feasible route ought to start about halfway between Snow Lake and Gem Lake and diagonal up the slope, skirting to the north of the cliffs below Chair Peak Lake. If it's not too brushy, that actually winds up the same place as the ridge route from Gem Lake - and saves the gravitationally-challenged a few hundred feet of climbing. The rest of it just looks like scrambling and it doesn't matter too much whether it's late-season snow or rock. ........ Incidentally, what's happened to Phil? He hasn't added to that website in a year and I haven't noticed him posting anywhere, either.

kgeraght

kgeraght
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 4:12 pm 
You guys are forgetting that it's winter and Snow lake is frozen. Forget about traversing to gem lake. Steep sidehilling, a tricky route from avalanche hazard point of view. The easier winter route is to drop from Chair Peak Lake to Snow Lake fairly directoy, then just walk/ski the frozen lake. The Chair peak outlet course is cliffy, but as I recall, as you're leaving Chair peak lake you stay high (left) and go over a small hump and then you have a clear route downslope. Avalanche hazard issues: Don't forget that you have to deal with the Snow Lake-S Fk Snoqualmie divide ridge. This may be a crowded stroll in summer but there is avalanche hazard in winter. I think the old trail route (which goes near source lake) is lower angle and generally a better winter route than the current summer trail route.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 4:46 pm 
I wouldn't be caught near Chair Peak Lake in winter. The direct climb up from Snow Lake is steep and exposed with minimal tree cover. That picture of the toothpick snapped tree is not far from the point where that route would junction with the traverse over from Gem or the mid route. Then again, I'm avalanche paranoid. Also, the route up to Snow Lake from Source Lake is pretty dangerous too. I took an alpine travel class in college and the class snowshoed up to Source Lake a few times. I remember the instructor telling us about a climax avalance that came many down years ago and buried some kids in 50' of snow at Source Lake. The didn't dig them out until summer. The instructor also pointed out that's why the trees in the basin surrounding source lake are very young (the trees were a lot shorter back then). It's probably safer these days now that Alpental has "expanded", but the avalanche chutes are still there.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 4:48 pm 
It's a great area in summer, though. All the cliffs and small cirques back to back are pretty darned scenic.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 5:28 pm 
Here's a few interesting links. I guess my alpine travel class teacher wasn't blowing smoke 10 years earlier about source lake. http://www.alpental.com/sourcelake.htm (don't miss the way out and chair peak area links for some great shots). http://www.metrokc.gov/prepare/hiva/avalanch.htm (scroll down to "history" and check out source lake / alpental)

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 8:23 pm 
Tom. The Alpental site should be on our master list, and the Chair Peak section is awesome. If Mike Collins isn't convinced by now, he'll be an entry in "Interesting things seen on the trail" - sometime late next summer!

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 8:50 pm 
Scrooge you are funny. I guess I will have to go up there and check it out without you guys. If someone finds me in the summer let Scrooge can have first pick of my stuff.