Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Green Trails' Way trails - Since When?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 8:49 pm 
I think the bad news is that Green Trails makes money selling maps, hence, if they can put features on their map that make it sell better... if you're new to hiking and are in the map buying mode, would you take map A with x trails, or map B with x+1 trails. The outdoors are being marketed, and unfortunately it will probably get worse. Hmmm....I wonder how much my trail park pass will cost next year. confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 9:39 pm 
I saw the route up the south face last year (from Iceberg) and wanted to do it this coming summer. It was a question about safety of a particular route rather than how to get somewhere. I'm splitting hairs here though, I know what you're getting at. Yup, I asked the question. If he would have said go and find out yourself, I wouldn't have gotten bent out of shape about it, no big deal to me. I can't wait for the next social! eek.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 9:46 pm 
Tom. I really think the "money" comments are about your ability to take maximum advantage of complex, money-saving deals. I remember comparing you to my son, who never pays full price for anything, and specifically stating that the comparison was intended as a compliment. How much any of us can afford for equipment is (almost) never an issue. Some of us have four Curtis rafts. Others make do with one leaky Sevylor. We use 'em on the same lakes and pretty much use the same routes to get there. It's when what we can afford for equipment begins to make a significant difference in what we can choose to do (as with the MFK-worthy vehicle question) that I begin to take issue. As far as I know there's nothing in that controversy that applys to you. And Beave. I think maybe it was Sawyer who didn't like your truck on the West Fork. wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 9:48 pm 
In addition to many other things, I take full resposibility for that picture of Beave's truck. The funniest part was the look on the guy's face standing nearby at his Cherokee as Beave drove by. I believe that one was taken during the infamous Dutch Miller rally.

Beave

Beave
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 9:58 pm 
rolleyes.gif Yeah, I know, I am a trouble-maker.... In regards to the West Fork, true, the road was barricaded, but it was not posted.... I imagine it was done so for the publics safety, as that road was N-A-S-T-Y!!!! Had it been posted, I would have parked and hiked it... We probably could have hiked it faster than we were able to drive it (or winch up it), but is was a fun challange anyway... We were punished after parking the trucks and hiking an amazingly grueling route up to an awesome, snowy alpine lake.... My apologies to Sawyer... It's so hard to please everyone... Craig
boulder hopping
boulder hopping

-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 10:20 pm 

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 10:22 pm 
Not to worry Randy. I'm not bent out of shape and I hope nobody else is either tongue.gif moon.gif lol.gif.

Beave

Beave
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 10:31 pm 
Actually.... We did pass by a grave site on the side of the road... Kind of creepy, eek.gif especially when hiking back to the trucks in the pitch black, on a cold winter night.... There was a covered picture on the tree abreast of the grave... I lifted the cover and saw a picture of the man buried and remember reading "He died doing what he loved".... frown.gif Needless to say this site was left undisturbed and treated with the utmost respect...

-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 10:37 pm 

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 12:42 am 
Mr. Beave, you should know that you need really LOW gearing to do the west for of the miller! Those rocks are way hard on clutches, and torque converters. My rigs are 65, 92 and 226 to one in low range. You can get out and take a pee, take one step and climb back in. That's a FUN road though. Been to the end 100 times. Anyone want a ride to the end of the road sometime just let me know and I'll meet you there and carry you in. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
-lol-

-lol-
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 7:41 am 

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 9:42 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Mr. Beave, you should know that you need really LOW gearing to do the west for of the miller! Those rocks are way hard on clutches, and torque converters. My rigs are 65, 92 and 226 to one in low range. You can get out and take a pee, take one step and climb back in. That's a FUN road though. Been to the end 100 times. Anyone want a ride to the end of the road sometime just let me know and I'll meet you there and carry you in. TB
You better watch what you say there TB. I know people who would definitely take you up on the offer. Including ME!

Art is an adventure.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 11:07 am 
No problem, I have vehicles that can carry a few (2-4)people and their gear! You wanna meet at the entrance to the west fork some day I'll carry you to the end. You'll have to walk out though! Unless I go with you on the hike that is!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a distinct possibility too!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
-lol-

-lol-
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 11:32 am 

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 11:36 am 
You see the problem here is that YOU think jersey barriers are a problem, when I KNOW that they are not! Oh ye of little faith!