Forum Index > Photography Talk > Monopod for Digicam
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigSac

BigSac
PostTue May 20, 2003 6:49 am 
Searching for a monopod for my new S45 (which I love). Most of the time don't want to carry a tripod due to weight considerations--I am trying to become a lightweight hiker. I have found three that might work. Gitzo Monotrek--This is my favorite because it extends to my eye level(6ft) and it is similar to a hiking staff from Leki, Komperdell etc. It even comes with a small ball head on top. Of course being Gitzo very expensive($100 from mail order discount) Manfrotto-This tripod maker has a monopod that goes to my eye level, but it is large and clunky. Leki-Makes a nice monopod like a hiking staff with a tripod mount on top, but doesn't extend to my eye level. Anybody have any experience with any of these or just monopods in general?

Go Kings!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moving mountain

moving mountain
PostTue May 20, 2003 8:57 am 
The only monopod I have is an old Bogen that I have used for motorized Nikons, way to heavy for backpacking. I have use small ultra-lite tripods that can be velcro to a ski poles, hiking poles etc. They seen to work pretty well for small cameras. Check out this link: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?stat=7889&langId=-1&storeId=8000&textQuery=tripods

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 20, 2003 11:09 am 
Since I have big suuure.gif steady hands, I rarely shoot with a tripod. I do carry an ultrapod II. Attaching to trees 'n stuff sounds better than it actually is - it's pretty hard to find a branch with the right height, and once you find one it usually doesn't have the proper perspective. doh.gif Holding it flush against the trunk of a tree works pretty good, but you still have the perspective issues to deal with. If I wasn't so lazy I'd attach it to the top of my hiking pole and use it as a monopod like MM suggests.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed May 21, 2003 4:38 pm 
Too bad 'bout the Kings, 'Sac-maybe with Webber you coulda gone on further. I have the Leki "Sierra Photo" hiking pole that I picked up last year from Altrec.com in Bellevue WA cheap- approx. $40. Picked up a Manfrotto (Bogen) 3009 small ballhead & a quick-release plate from Glazers in Seattle. Another 20-25 bucks. The pole extends to 5 feet at its furthest "safest" extension. I'm 5'9" so I have to stoop a little to see thru my 35mm SLR viewfinder- but not uncomfortably so. The overall weight of pole and camera attachments isn't bad in my opinion. It sure beats lugging my relatively heavy Bogen 3001 tripod on my back. I like the fact that with a photo pole you can combine two purposes in one thing.

BigSac

BigSac
PostSat May 24, 2003 1:40 pm 
monopod
Thanks for the sympathy about the Kings Moose and Squirrel, but it's not the end of the world; at least the Lakers are out of there. It was almost worth it to see Shaq and Kobe complaining about the calls and crying on the bench. I can't figure out Nash's and Nowitzki's hair though; it's like a sixties Beatles page boy kind of thing. You know they are from Canada and Germany respectivley; are those hair styles popular there? Maybe they should upgrade to the eighties and get mullets. I'm trackin' with you about your Leki monopod/hiking pole combo. I saw that Leki stick at REI recently and the only thing I didn't like about it was the maximum height--but what's a little bending over from time to time? And REI is having a sale now and I have a 20% off coupon. I would also want to get a ball head and quick release as you mentioned. I have seen the Ultrapod at REI also; and have the same reservations as Tom about finding a tree to strap it to, but on the other hand it would work for self-portraits and time lapse even if it was on the ground. Decisions, decisions; maybe I should just get both systems. I'm so glad I got the S45 instead of the Digital Stylus. I was intimidated by all the controls on the S45 at first, but as I read through the camera manual I am slowly beginning to understand how it works and actually enjoy using it. I even bought a 128 card the other day(it came with a 32) for $25--I assume that's a good price. It was on sale at Fry's Electronics; I'm not sure if you Washington guys have those up there, but they have some good deals from time to time. One more thing. I used to watch Rocky all the time in my mis-spent youth. What was Natasha's last name? I think I remember, but I'm not sure.

Go Kings!
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat May 24, 2003 5:26 pm 
Well we're obviously Renaissance Men, 'Sac, engaged as we are in such a wide range of subjects. Firstly, Natasha's last name is Fatale. Steve Nash's hair is disgusting to look at, especially when wet and stringy. Nowitski would look perfect in tie-dye at Woodstock, sliding in the mud. I have an Ultrapod and have never used it- it seems of minimal use to me. If I wanted to do really serious photography hiking/backpacking I wouldn't hesitate to carry a regular tripod- especially for slow-shutter speeds required for running water shots, astrophotography or any myriad of situations where a slow shutter speed is required. Plus with a solid camera support you can take time to set-up your shot. I've had my Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 for many years and have been very happy with it. I've looked at the Gitzo carbon fiber model, which is very lightweight but it is horribly expensive. I've heard some people complain that Glazers camera store has snooty sales help- and you can find better prices web/mail order- but I like the store because they have a pretty big selection of stuff and their "bricks and mortar" aspect lets you physically try out gear before you decide to buy there or elsewhere. I do try to buy stuff there that is fairly competively priced for the ability to try out things hands-on. Of course if you're in Sacramento this is all moot-sorry! FYI, I used to stop there years ago with a friend during our college days up here- during spring breaks- and we would stay at his grandparent's condo right across the street from the zoo. Pretty strange lion roars and monkey calls at night while we tried to sleep! Sac was nice too because they had Towers Records for buying vinyl lp's (3 for $10 back in the 70's man)- Seattle didn't have Tower yet. M&S